Register now to get rid of these ads!

drive in restaurants...where are they?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bfairlane, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

we still have a few small ones round here,,also the old DQ's many of which moved into old Drive In's back in the day. I think many of the small ones still exist cause they are part of the town

2. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

There is still a Drive in Tijuana Mexico. it is now just a restaurant, the original building still stands intact. it is circular with a giant mexican hat as it's roof. there is a picture of it in the book " American Drive Ins and Dinners " , if I can get hold of a camara, i'll try to take a picture of it.

3. AllenK

AllenK

That place is awesome!!!!! I have been to the one in downtown Raleigh. Awesome burgers!!! I also love 21 South in Charlotte,Els in Morehead City,and the Dune Burger in Nags Head.

We're fortunate to still have quite a few Mom and Pop drive-ins down here,but not all of them host car events. Most of the time events like that take place at Sonic. Mel's in Malvern and the Dairyland in Prothro Junction are pretty much the best.

4. Adriene

Adriene

It's great to hear about all the cool places that are still around. Such great photos and stories. I've been to Walker Burger driving up the 395 to Bodie, Reno and the Eastern Sierra. Love the Nite Owl, is that in Waterford? And Tropical Treat in Hanover looks incredible!

Here's an old project our group helped to save. Not a drive-in but a historic dining car, now the oldest in California. Here's a pic of the car being hoisted into its new location. Scheduled to open this month so if you're in the L.A. area, stop by for a visit!

http://laist.com/2010/11/18/historic_phils_diner_hoisted_into_n.php#

(I don't know how to post the pic, if someone else does!)

5. Adriene

Adriene

It's still there? No kidding!

6. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Bob's Big Boy in Burbank, CA. Here's a pic of Jay Leno in his Duesnberg.

Attached Files:

7. Adriene

Adriene

Here's a great thread with vintage photos of the old Buellton Speedway and Twin Dining Cars Cafe. The rare dining cars are abandoned now but you can still see them, off the Avenue of the Flags exit on the old frontage road paralleling the 101 Freeway near Split Pea Andersen's in Buellton, CA.

http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001405-2.html

I wrote a letter to the City of Buellton's Planning Department to find out if any plans are in the works. Perhaps an e-mail expressing interest could help spur the city to work with a new operator and relocate them into the heart of town. [email protected]

8. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Man has this thread been cool! For you country music fans....remember about 10 years back when Trace Adkins recorded "Chrome" the whole music video is at a drive-in! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmAAaXI8riY Mostly the only 'drive-in' per say around here is the local Sonic. For you folks who know what I'm talking about, there's the Varsity down in Atlanta. It's the world's oldest drive-in. I like to go there, but...I personally don't like it down there. Diner wise....the Dawsonville Pool Room has the best burgers bar none! They are all hand made patties. When you bite into them, it just melts like butter! Have a cheeseburger and either their fresh-cut or beer-battered fries...you talk about good!!!

-Cody

9. AllenK

AllenK

Cody,

We are kicking around coming to the Moonshine Festival this year,and we will definitely go to the Pool Room! I've heard about that place for years.

We've been to The Varsity twice,and we like it too. It's a great experience.

10. victoria stiles

victoria stiles
    from Australia

I have herd about the restaurants and pubs of Boise a lot. Boise is a tourist place, so the environment of the Boise is very good. Boise is the best place to hang out with the friends and family. I have also herd that the pubs of Boise are also amazing, which makes the night life better in Boise. I will surly like to visit Boise, At-least once.

11. oneplace

oneplace

Can any body tell me what the address was of the Sun Drive-in 0n Central ave in NE Minneapolis, MN. I think it was around 37th 0r 38 and I believe there is a gas station on the corner now. Also, if they might have some picture of it.

12. Smokey2

Smokey2

WE, WEE, Have Sonics all Over This Area,
    The Only A & W stiill as "A DRIVE IN " is In McMinnville Tn, about an Hr. from Me.
    Trayer's Too, was the Gatherin' Place in Bristol Va/ Tenn, durin' tha late '50's and thur the '60's............ Virginia Drive In, on Rt. 11 East of Bristol,
    was "after Mid-nite Hangin' Spot, Use to Drag Race for couple Hrs at-a-Time in front of the Place.......an never was Bothered ?? Go Figure !
    '57 Chevies, w/ 270 H.P., an Close Ratio Trannys were the "HOTTEST"
    Couple '32 's Hung there, But they usually ran "Top End" Runs summers'
    Else..........Like Runnin' Chrysler 300's at 140/150 mph ! What tha' Hell !
    Was That Jest went By ??? Yep !
    See Why I stay.....Smoked UP ! NOT :cool:

13. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Fat Boys Drive-in , Brunswick,Maine. Been there FOREVER.

14. The spot in Kenosha is still open. There is also Andys and Big star, and they all have awesome food. If you head north to Racine they have a kewpee burger down town, not a car hop but good food.

15. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

There is one in Hallowell , Maine, just south of the Capitol in Auguste, forgot the name of it...burger joint!

16. Ratbuilder

Ratbuilder
    from Indiana

Here in Lafayette we have 4 drive ins. I guess we are spoiled. 2 dog and suds with the best coney sauce around. A sonics and the oldest drive in I think in the state, maybe the country. Opened in 1928 I believe. Still in the same spot. XXX plus their sister store route 66.

17. DrOlds442w30

DrOlds442w30
    BANNED

Star Drive in East Taunton, MA reopened under new management about a year or so ago.

18. As a young guy, I would go to a place called Henry's for 15 cent hamburgers, then go to the A and W and hang out. Great memories of beautiful balmy summer nights in CLearwater Florida driving my 55 T Bird that I bought for 1800 bucks. I paid through the nose for it because they financed it.

19. chrisbob12

chrisbob12

Anyone remember the Circle Drivein in Oakland, Ca. I think it was on 12 St and about 9 ave.

20. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Jollys, 2 locations in Hamilton Ohio...Root Beer and Car Hops....what's not to like!

[​IMG]

21. Speed~On

Speed~On

Every Thursday night at the Mound Drive-In in Mound, Minnesota. I snapped this photo last year. I was in town for the MSRA's Back To The 50's car show in St. Paul (June every year, for 2012 it's June 22-24) Anyway, we cruised over there Thursday evening before the big show in St. Paul.
    [​IMG]

22. I remember "Angelo's".. there was one on Highland Ave. in E. San Bernardino. I remember being really young wondering why people where staring at us on the freeway, on our way to Angelo's in Los Angeles. My Dad laughed, and said.. "It's the car!" Crazy how the how the 80's were my good ol days

23. hemi gasser

hemi gasser

Rudy's drive in has two locations 1) in LaCrosse Wi cruise in every Tuesday nite and 2) Sparta Wi cruise in on Thursday evenings. Gus's drive in in East Troy, Wi. All of them are old time type drive ins. Cool atmosphere and lots of cars.

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Everybody loves drive-ins! You should check out SunRoofCord's thread: "Lost Drive-In Restaurants." Guys and gals post SURVIVING drive-ins there, too, 'cause they are proud they survived. Right on!

25. Peters Drive-In on state avenue in kansas city Kansas was the place to be for generations of car guys until crime ruined the neighborhood.

26. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The Keg's Drive In on North 5th Street in Grand Forks, ND. They have been in business since 1935.

Today.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]