Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need wheel help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AZ 54 BELAIR GUY, Apr 30, 2012.

1. AZ 54 BELAIR GUY

AZ 54 BELAIR GUY
    from AZ

I have a 54 Chevy BELAIR and I just picked up a set off Cadillac wheels with sombrero hubcaps. My problem is I tryed to bolt the wheels up to my car and they are a different bolt pattern. My car is standard Chevy bolt pattern. I see car on the h.a.m.b all the time with these hubcaps. Can some one help me and tell what kind of wheel I need so I can run these hubcaps. Thank you

2. AntiBling

AntiBling

You put the hubcaps on your Chevy wheels... Provided you are running 15" wheels.

Your Chevy is 5x4.75 bolt pattern, the Cadillac wheels are 5x5.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Isn't there some depth difference between the Caddy hub caps and the Chevy rims ? I think I remember that you have to cut something off of the caps to make them work on the other rims. I could be wrong, but I don't think they just snap on.

Don

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Reverse your '54 wheels, or any '49-'55 Chev 15'' wheel. Then use a beauty ring to adapt the Cad wheel covers ...

Hnstray likes this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Just to clarify...by "reversing your wheels" is meant drilling out the rivets that hold the wheel center section into the wheel rim or 'hoop', reinstalling facing the opposite direction, riveting or welding (after making sure you have no lateral runout) thereby adding some depth to the side where the hub cap/wheel cover mounts. Usually you would fill the valve stem hole and drill a new one on the (now) outside of the rim. However, with this setup, you may be better off leaving the valve stem on the backside of the wheel, depends if you will have a 'straight shot' through the wheel cover slot for the valve stem.

OR......you could buy some wheels from a wheel source that were already made with the spacing needed to accomplish this.

However, either way, as mentioned above, it usually requires modifying the wheel cover outer edge and adapting a trim ring to the wheel cover in order to mount it on your new or modifed wheels.

OR...you could investigate the feasibilty of having you present drums/hubs,axle flanges redrilled for the Caddy 5" bolt circle and using the Caddy wheels you bought and not have to modify the wheel covers. BUT, be sure the Caddy wheels will fit the Chevy, i.e., clear the tie rod ends and spindle supports if you do drill the hubs.

OR.....you could try to find a wheel cover, other than the Caddy, that you can live with that do not require this effort to utilize.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  6. deto

deto

Drill the drums to the 5x5 bolt circle

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do a search here - think tech info available on running deep Caddy hubcaps

8. Bummer dude! Time to ask before or invest in tape measure and take it along when your buying wheels, been burned before and my friend with tire shop laughed and said the tape is your best friend when buying used wheels!

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

or invest in wheel gauge with multiple bolt patterns on it

10. AZ 54 BELAIR GUY

AZ 54 BELAIR GUY
    from AZ

Thanks for all the helpful info, not sure what year these wheels and hubcaps are from. Reason y I need to run the cadillac rim is because the hubcaps have a little dog dish cap behind the big hub cap and they wheel only mount up on the cadillac rim. They chevy rim has a much larger center and the hubcaps will not mount up. Still looking for info. Thanks again for all the info.

11. AZ 54 BELAIR GUY

AZ 54 BELAIR GUY
    from AZ

Still looking for info

12. JasonHehn

JasonHehn

To my knowledge the 54, 55, and 57 Cad hubcaps are the only ones you can run with your 15 inch 54 Chevy wheels. In the Classifieds there is a HAMBer who is selling Cad Sombreros with chevy wheels and I think he has done all the R&D on what wheels he used to make them fit. Look up the post, and Good Luck!

13. N8train

N8train

14. N8train

N8train

Did you find out what wheels you can use..I bought some 54 cadillac sombrero hubcaps and won't fit my stock 52 chevy deluxe wheels..any help please..thank you