Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stick on sound deadener?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Outback, May 3, 2012.

1. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I've been thinking about using a stick on sound deadener and was wondering (not having seen them in person) whether they were a good way to hold moisture to panels and subsequently rust them out?? has any one had this problem??

Cheers

Glenn

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Properly installed, there should be no issues. Stu

3. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

4. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Most cars have it from the factory.
    I used the one from a building supplies store as it was 10 times cheaper than the automotive one. Just needs to be heated up a bit to shape properly.

5. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

They all pretty much work the same and work very well .
    Just start with clean metal that is well sealed with paint or any other choice to cover and seal the metal with and you will be fine . Just read and follow the instructions .

Retro Jim

6. Whatever you do, dont use carpet, I pulled enough carpet out to redo my hall way the other week and discovered that the carpet was holding the floor together :rolleyes:

7. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

McMaster-Carr has a mastic that works really well....part # 9709T39.....I have used it in several vehicles with super results. 32" X 54" X 1/16 self sticking is $18.95 a sheet.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  8. sunsetdart

sunsetdart

if you use the stick on deadner, make sure you tape the seams. I did my car with the sticky stuff and got the metal tape at home depot. much cheaper there .

9. chuxx

chuxx

I've used the Hushmat with good results. It's expensive compared to the stuff you can get at Home Depot and glue on.

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Use it over paint and seam sealer...... Like factories do....

4TTRUK

11. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I'd never use it on an unpainted panel. Paint on some Miracle Paint or similar product 1st.

12. Check out the 3M sound deandning pads. They work very well and you can cut them into different sizes. They look like the pads used ontodays cars

13. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Daughter helped me brush on 3M sound deadener back in 1964, works good!----Still on today!---Mixes with water.:D:D

Attached Files:

14. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I used the Dynamat stuff with good results. I got it at Best Buy in the stereo dept.
    Cut to fit...peel and stick.

15. Tikitaxi

Tikitaxi
    from NorCal

I used the 'hushmat' stuff on the floor and trunk floor of my '56 Chevy. I painted over the floor (under the mat) just to be sure. Three years later it's still all good.

16. codeblu

codeblu

Oddly enough I have an OT Mopar wagon that was ordered as sound deadener and insulation DELETE car. It's like riding in a beer can.

17. Shobra

Shobra
    from SLC, Utah

I have done both Dynamat and Second Skin, I prefer the Second Skin. The Showdown site used to have all the info but is missing the comparisons now.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

oh yeah like other have said use over a painted surface and make sure the surface is clean before installing, tape the seam with the metal ducting tape from Home depot.

I DO NOT use it on the bottom 3 inches of vertical panels like doors etc..

18. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

I used Lizard skin spray on sound deadener and their spray on heat control. Then I put 1/2" foam from dynamat on the floor, firewall and trans tunnel followed by 1/4" bubble pack on roof and door panels with 1/4" foam dynaliner over that. The reason I did all that was the 697 horse blown Clevor under the hood. I had a blown 33 Nash coupe before that with no carpet or sound deadener at all......anything more than 20 minutes in it and you wish you had brought earplugs. Now is the time , early in a build to think about how adding sound deadeners and the accumulated thickness may impact such things as gas pedal mounting, seat base brackets etc.

19. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Thanks fella's, Good info, the reason for the questions, is that I've seen some aircraft with serious corrosion issues due to stick on insulators, they weren't painted underneath.

Glenn

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I used the grey foam stuff with foil covering from Home Depot. It works great and was only $16 or 15 sq. ft. Just be sure NOT to get the asphalt based stuff. The good stuff is in the heating duct section in a 15' roll.

21. davidh73750

davidh73750

a few years ago I ordered summit's brand of deadner and low and behold it was Hushmat. I applied por 15 paint for safe measure prior. It made a lot of difference in the car. Even shutting the doors felt more solid. Was much quieter and I was pleased.

22. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Lizard skin for roofs....

23. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I used FatMat on the firewall, floor, back of cab, doors and kick panels. It was well worth the money, the cab seems a lot more solid and road noise was noticably reduced.
    [​IMG]