Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to put oil filter on Cadillac flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Sep 18, 2009.

1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

These moters didn't come with oil filters. Does anyone know a good way to plumb one in?:confused:

Thanks in advance.

2. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Back for the morning crowd

3. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I dunno if its the BEST way, But my '41 Cad engine had one installed MANY years ago.

Driver side of the block, Just above the Pan rail & just under the center Freeze pluge there is a small Boss cast in the block.

Mine is drilled & tapped there with hard line running to a Spin on Oil Filter mount & the Exit tube plumbed into the Valley pan.

I am sure it not Full Flow... But thats whats on it.

4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

DE SOTO- That is helpful. When I get home, I'll look to see what you mean. Any chance of a pic for referance? Do you have a pressure gauge there?

5. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Anyone else do it?

6. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Any other ideas? I could use a little help here, please!

7. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Someone? Anyone?

8. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

Here's how I did it on a Flathead Ford; which is one of two or three different versions of full flow conversions for flatheads. My brother and I also did one on a straight eight Buick that used a spacer block under the oil pump with ports in it to send the oil to a filter and then back to the engine. Figure out the path the oil travels and find a way to re route it.
    http://home1.gte.net/wgmumaw/Full%20Flow%20Filter/FFfilterBills.htm

9. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks BILLM!

Anyone do it on a Cadillac?

10. mrkaos63

mrkaos63

I know this an old post but I have had in incident that my oil pump locked up twisted off my distributor shaft. The issue is that the oil pump after rebuild sucked up some junk and galled up the shaft/ pin that free spins at the lubricating hole. Have found that a standard dowel pin will replace the shaft. But are the rebuild kits faulty that are out there on the internet? Also what is the best system for oil pick up because my will have to soldered to float again. Adding a filtration system could help. Also the old parts have no lube hole and are helical gears. I know I am allover the map with this post.