Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A tale of 3 chops and the revival of the 41 to 48 fords

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by magoozi, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

No so much sinking as it was shifting the entire roof forward. The idea was to maintain the same rooflines and perportions without distorting the shape of the 1/4 windows. Called a "mild chop" but 5" were taken from the b-pillar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2012
    Sonny Day Out and Kustom Cline like this.
  2. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

That's the beauty of these cars, there are many ways to chop them, and no two are alike, great job man. in the prior picture, notice the use of a 42 grill, these were popular too with the custom guys.

Maniut likes this.
  3. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

Here is Magoozi's 46, it's really making progress!

Attached Files:

Maniut likes this.
  4. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

some examples

Attached Files:

5. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

And here is the real deal, 41 Ford Barris Snooky Paul Janich. That was at the GNRS 2011 at the Custom building. No words...

Attached Files:

6. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

Another real deal. Jack' Fat Boy'Steward. 41 Ford by Ayala and finished by Barris. Pics at the "Greedy Guys' Show in Del Mar Cal.

Attached Files:

7. Pete

Pete

FUCK...this a great thread!!

I have taken a little break on my Merc...ill be back on it in a few weeks and will post some pics on my thread.

Pete-

P.s.

I love Musicos car!! That rig is outstanding!

8. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Ive always liked Biffs convertible from back to the future. I want one like it.

9. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I hope this thread will help out Pete, we are all behind you man, and I can't wait to see your car finished, maybe you can bring it out to next year's Grand National?

10. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

There was also the 41 ford convertible in the Grease Lighting movie, I loved the race scene in the Los angeles river basin, also their was the chase scene in the california kid when vic Marow pushes the ford coupe off the cliff and of coarse the best was the race scene from rebel with out a cause, if any one can post some scenes from these movies, I would much apreciate it.

11. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

The club coupe in the top left corner is the Throtle kings car, notice the 47 lower front fender trim, looks good, the other is musicos car, here you can see the diference between the club coupe and the business coupe.thanks for posting all the pictures stephan.

12. Cool thread, Miguel. Tough to pull off a short-door coupe chop....my eye prefers it when the highest part of the roof is no further back than the middle of the door top, which is definitely a challenge on these Fords. There are some nice ones posted here.

I recently passed on a '41 short-door for $1500....roller, decent sheetmetal, no glass or grille. I'm kinda kicking myself for that, but I'm really trying to hold out for a '41 long-door......

Anyways, here are a few pics I snapped...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sonny Day Out and Maniut like this.
  13. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

Santa Maria last year!

Attached Files:

14. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Great stuff !

15. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I think this one picture of Jack Steward's 41 ford sums it all up NO OTHER CAR LENDS ITSELF MORE TO CUSTOMIZE THAN THE 41 TO 48 FORD AND MERC , it's like a blank canvans that only your talent and patience is your limitation. these are the cars that made our custom idols famous and yet most people won't give them the time of day.Hopefuly the kids nowdays will start building these cars instead of the countless 49 to 54 chevys, mid sixties caddys and rivieras.

Maniut likes this.
  16. I agree completely, and nice projects are still all over for cheap!!!

17. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

here are some pictures of my buddy Sergio's custom shop in Tijuana, I met Sergio in the mid eighties, I was setting up a restoration shop in Tijuana for a friend of mine, sergio was just a kid back then and we brought him on board to fab and change out rusty floors and do convertible conversion on hard tops, since a kid , though he never had a pasaport to visit the states, he always loved customs, I would bring him the old tex smith books on how to chop cars and custom books with pictures of cars that Barris, ayala, gene winfield, watson, and bill hines had done. we started building a bunch of 49 to 51 mercs back then , and we did a couple of chops, later Sergio opened up his own shop that you see pictured here, nothing fancy here , ox acedelene bottles with a 0 tip so the heat don't get away, a hamer and dolly, a flour sac full of sand to shape what ever panels he needs to make and an angle grinder with a 4 inch cut off wheel, goes to prove you don't need a fancy shop with expensive tools to build a custom.
    After I stripped the body with a friend of mine of all the old paint and rust, I brought the car to sergio, the first thing we did was fix the street rod chasis pictured earlier, it had a mustang two unit on the front that had been installed by Igor. the front half of the frame had been ruined so we decided to cut all that gay shit right off, we repaired the frame with a stock front section I had laying around. I installed a stock 48 front end with the only modifications being a reversed eyed spring with longer shackles to lower the front end.
    The motor and tranny mts were all wrong so we reset the engine to the correct position and installed a stock steering box back in. the stock exhaust on a 289 or 302 motor are but ugly, so I wanted to keep the headers that were on the engine, so we slid the stock steering box mt a few inches back and made a simply coupler to the 59 caddy collum.
    The easiest engine and tranny to install in a 41 to 48 ford is a 289 or 302 engine, they dropp right in and you don't even have to split the wish bone.The only modification to the stock frame is you have to pull out the bottom plate on the x-member and rework it so it becomes your tranny mt and your new wishbone cup support.
    Though the 289 or 302 engines and c-4 trannys are non traditional, they are the easiest ones to install and you don't butcher the frame.
    The radiator is a stock v-8 early mustang unit and bolts in to the original core support with the aid of a simple bracket pictured here, these radiadors are only aboat a hundred and sixty bucks brand new.
    I'll post some more later.

18. a bloke

a bloke

Man, I wish I lived in the US...

19. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

[​IMG]

Don't look no further.

20. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

Pretty sure not everybody's taste, but the tan one was done back in the day, before the popular style that we all copy today was established. I think it started out as a 41 Ford. There is a ton of work in the green one.Over the top crazy, I like it. Radical custom.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

The car is in Tijuana Mexico, so you need a pasaport to reenter the U.S. I'll be more than happy to show you the car and give you a tour of Tijuana, send me a private message with your phone number so I can call you.

22. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

This looks like alter boy Pete's car, the chop is very similar.

23. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

There are two ways to traditionaly lower the rear of a 41 to 48 ford and merc;
    the first is if you are running the banjo rear end, just cut out the inner cage on the rear crossmember and this lowers it a ton
    If you want to run an open drive rear end, the old trick was to use the springs and rear end off a 48 to 52 p.u. the nice thing aboat this is that you still retain the five on five and a half bolt patern so they will still match your 41 to 48 front drums, you can also use the 49 to 51 merc rear end but the springs on the truck are the perfect length and gives you pararell leaf springs on the rear.
    My car has a sac aftermarket springs on the rear, but the car sits too high so I will have to add 4" lowering blocks for now, until I can afford to d-arch and shorten the main leafs.

Maniut likes this.
  24. I used the SAC on mine too... But I wanted it not-so-low in the back... I run mine as is with no blocks. It's sitting on a hill here.

Attached Files:

25. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

Here's my 46..I think they make great customs

Attached Files:

26. The short doors are the same as the front doors on a four door, the club coupe and two sedan doors are 8 1/2 inches wider.
    My 3 window I moved the b-pillar back and added sedan doors. then with the chop slid the entire roof forward 4 1/2 inches to line the A-pillars.
    Long doors, short roof worked pretty good

27. That thing is awesome!!

28. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I added the 4" lowering blocks yesterday and the car still sits to high in the rear, but I'll have to live with it for now.

29. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I agree, please post more pictures of it.

30. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

A (i think) new build that i saw at a lokal show here in Sweden last summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sonny Day Out, Maniut and 509garyd like this.