Register now to get rid of these ads!

Registering Without a Title

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jamesandrewjohnson, May 2, 2012.

1. jamesandrewjohnson

jamesandrewjohnson
    from Iowa

I've been a member here for about a year, now, and I love seeing all the deals in the classifieds. But I'm constantly seeing great projects for sale that have no title, and I have to ask... can you legally title them, and how hard would it be?

2. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

There are a ton of threads here on this if you use the search function

Go to the SEMA website, there is good info there.

Can it be done? Yes, if you are willing to spend the time.

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

Part one: In some states, under some circumstances.
    Part two: It's never easy.

Bob

4. jamesandrewjohnson

jamesandrewjohnson
    from Iowa

Alright, thanks for the responses. I was just curious.

5. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

No matter how good it is, I will never buy anything that doesn't have the proper papers in the sellers name. Too much BS to bother with IMO.

6. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

yeah its actually really easy.if the car has "fallen out of the system" you write a letter to the state asking for the name and address of the last registerd owner..when you get the name and address you write the last owner a certified letter asking him or her to release the title to you..when you get the letter back do not open it.take it straight to the dmv and turn it in.you will have youre title in about 8 weeks..

(what youre hoping for is that the last owner doesnt live at that address anymore and it gets "returned to sender"..thats the best..the worst would be if he opens the letter and says no,its stolen i want my car back...)

7. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Speaking from experience, I am with the drunk man on this issue.

8. Fifty States, fifty sets of rules.

Go to your State DMV (or eqivalent) website and start from that point.

9. 31CHEVY

31CHEVY

I have not done it personally. I have talked to some friends that have and say it is not that difficult to title and license a home built hot rod in Iowa. Call up the dmv and ask a few qestions. Iowa changed the way they do things a few years ago. I have checked into getting a bonded title for a vehicle with vin. no. The local dmv can give you the forms fill them out and send them to Desmoins. I have gotten the papers before but never followed through.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly, every state is different and you have to check with your state. It's good to see that you are doing your homework first rather than after you have spent a year's or more pay building a car only to run into hassles.

Do the homework and find out what your state requires to tittle a vehicle an then see if different approaches make a difference. Some guys are anal about not liking "assembled" vehicle titles but there is the possibility that going assembled with bills of sale for various components may make things simpler in the long run.

11. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

these guys are right about different states having different rules,but still.its not hard.might want to find out if the car is stolen though before you buy it.

12. Old Guy

Old Guy

Keep every receipt. It really helps when you get a bonded title.
    I did mine in NC and it is a little bit of a hassle but not as bad as I thought.
    Sometimes if you check out a couple of DMV's in your area you will find a person that is willing to help you.
    I went to my local DMV and they were a bunch of dicks.Went to one in the next little town and there were no crowds and a nice LOL that was more than helpful.
    The main thing is to find a person that knows what they are doing and wants to put a little effort into what they are doing.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  13. ^^^ This is key!

However, I have found that in almost all cases you'll never find anyone who knows what they're doing. You have to know exactly what you are asking them to do in advance and that it's not only possible but here are all the papers in perfect order and all they have to do is enter the info into the computer and hand the plate and registration slip across the counter just like every other transaction they'll do this year. Even with all that prep work and research this will only work in a small town where the people behind the counter actually want to help you. If you try it in a big city with jaded, mind numbed, DMV-bots behind the counter all you'll get is the 40 yard stare and, "Uhhh... I don't think you can do that." Every state has different hoops to jump through but, a little strategy going in and having ALL your ducks in a row will go a LONG way to a positive outcome.

14. Hyfire

Hyfire

Don't go to the DMV... Find a registration service in your state. They make it easy. It's worth the extra $50.00 not dealing with the DMV.

15. I had one shaggy dog case I was trying to register locally... it basically blew up in my face at one DMV. Then I heard of a new office they opened also close by. I got up early, dressed in clean clothes and went there. Night and day... everyone was pleasant and I breezed through.

Bob

16. My father in law had a stationery store on Long Island and offered the service out of his store. One guy ran it, that was his full time job, running things to DMV all day. My father in law got a cut of the action. I never heard of the service before or since, could be lucrative.

Bob

17. Truckedup

Truckedup

The only good thing about NY state is no titles on 1972 and older.Me and others here have registered no paperwork vehicles by signing a simple form and showing a pencil tracing of the body number and an insurance card with said number.This process works smoothly in rural DMV offices the last time I did it a few year ago.
    As other said,always be aware of your states current title requirements before buying any older vehicle,papers or not.

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

No titles down under. Bill of Sale is all that is required.

19. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Mist all states are different on how they register older cars and trucks . Some states need titles and some a bill of sale and some you just need to go through a special inspections then get a new title issued . Then on the other hand there are some states that if you have NO TITLE you are out of luck !
    You really need to see how your state handles those things and just ask what to do . Once you find out what your state needs to get tags for a car or truck then you know what to look for . A good clean title in the sellers name will get you registration tags anyplace !
    If you do a search you will find many , many answers on this very subject . But they all say one thing , contact you state and find out what they want to get a car or truck registered in your state . That is really the one and only answer you can go by .

Retro Jim

20. Its a good site worked for me.

21. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

In my state (Mo) its iilegal to sell a car without a title. If you give a bill of sale and theres a problem, its a signed confession!!!

22. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I got my Iowa title about 3 yrs ago but early in my build I got the list of requirements from the DOT inspector here. I made sure during the build that I followed the minimum requirements every step of the way. The requirements are on line, in the Iowa Code but I can't say how to find it for sure. I would get a copy and get to know it well before looking at any untitled projects. The biggest downside to me is the cost. You have to have receipts for everything, and if you have anything bought out of state and haven't paid state sales tax, you will have to pay up. Then the total of your receipts is used to determine the cost of your registration. Mine came to $150 a year. The upside is you have a legitimate title and they can't say you have de-frauded them by having a phony title.

Blue

23. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Vermont. You can register a car there without being a resident. Print the forms off the net, send them in. get tags. Done and done, no wonky title service. I'd give you the website but I'm not gonna do it all, you gotta work a little, it's only fair.

Cheers!

Matt

24. deanopopino

deanopopino
    from Troy, MO

And yet we see it all the time: "No title, but they're easy to get," or "bill of sale only but getting a title should be easy." My question is always, "If it's so freakin' easy, why don't you do it and THEN sell the car?"

25. X2 on Mo and the dmv. I'll go one further, had a car with original Ca pink. had been signed over several times, but not registered. I got it with bill of sale from last signed owner and sold it to a guy in Mo with my bill of sale to him. 2 days later, he's back all pissed because Mo dmv said it's a "dead title". wtf ?? never heard of such a thing. no problem, refund money, and re-sold the car in Ar. titled there with no probs.

26. jamesandrewjohnson

jamesandrewjohnson
    from Iowa

Thanks for all the replies, everyone, it's very helpful! I'm still unsure as to what method I would prefer to use, I'll have to do some more research. One thing is, I want the car to be completely legal, no gray areas, because once I have it I would hate for it to be taken away.
    Very interesting. Why exactly do I not want to open the letter, though? And what would the DMV do with it?
    Yeah, there are quite a few small towns in my area, I'm sure it would be a ood idea if things didn't work out in town.
    Good advice, I know for sure I want to be as prepared as possible before hand. Wouldn't want any mishaps.
    Interesting... how exactly does this work, and is it 100% legal? Do I know I'll get the title or is it a gamble? Do you have a few links to some of these services?
    I really didn't know that, and I'm not far from Missourri at all. I guess I'll have to stay especially far from Missourri cars without titles.
    I really want to know more about this, it sounds like a good way to go. On the other hand, it sounds a little bit shady and risky. How would I go about getting the title, and how would it work out legally living in Iowa with a Vermont title? Would I have Vermont plates, etc?

Again, everyone, thanks for replying! I really appreciate it! :D

27. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Ok, Here's the links. There is a part about a vin inspection, ignore that. We all have and do and it hasn't been a trouble. Everyone who has done this has kept the vehicle registered in VT for a year, then flipped it to the home state. I think the idea is that you visit Vt and keep a vehicle to use there somewhere. Not too sure about that but it takes about a week and a half.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/pdf/DMV-VD119-Vehicle_Reg_Tax_Title_App.pdf

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/pdf/DMV-VD119i-Registration_App_Instructions.pdf

28. Willy301

Willy301

I would add to this: 50 states, and 5000 sets of rules. I can go into one DMV in one county and have it be one way, and go to the adjoining county and have it be easy....we are allowed to go to any adjoining county to the one we live in, to get our titles and plates...

29. jamesandrewjohnson

jamesandrewjohnson
    from Iowa

I'm a little confused.. where does it say anything about registering your vehicle in Vermont if you aren't a resident? It mentions "out of state" vehicles, but all that means is that the car was registered in another state when you bought it.

30. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

You haven't been specific with what your situation is so in reading your posts I'll get to the point..... "I don't want there to be any gray areas" pretty much comes down to.......

Don't buy any vehicle just with a bill of sale ie ( no title) period
    Buy one with a good CURRENT UP TO DATE title and you won't be confused of trying to figure out all these different ziggs and zaggs which leads me to think your trying to buy something that has no title or little paperwork. NOT WORTH IT.

Buy something with a good current up to date title with no issues.

If you've bought one already - Have you even called the State of Iowa DMV yet ?

Explain your situation - they will make a appointment to come see the vehicle and in most cases will issue you a Bonded Title . ( to protect the state and if the vehicle was stolen and the rightful owner comes forward with proof of ownership ) If that's the case the rightful owner gets it as it should be anyway.

If it's a old coupe or whatever that has no numbers that you put together, they will probably issue you a new VIN number and plate.

Last edited: May 9, 2012