Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the stupidest thing you're ever done in your shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Sep 12, 2010.

1. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

THAT is hysterical! I laughed out loud as the scenario unfolded. Thanks for that. I needed a good laugh.

2. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Aren't we all just a little? Shit, I superglued a sucking head wound shut... Lol

3. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Pulled a ford in

4. navypainter

navypainter

That's awesome :)

5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that is too funny. Being from a John Deere family, however, I do understand the prejudice. :)

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man that was hilarious! You can't make this stuff up! I can just see something like this happening to Larry the Cable Guy on his tv show. lol

7. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Hmm?? Speaking of John Deere's....
    Didja' hear the one about the
    housewife who ran off with a farm
    machinery salesman??? When she
    left, she wrote her husband a 'John
    Deere' letter!!:eek: (GROAN!:D)

mart3406
    =========

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hyuk hyuk! Gotta remember that one.:D

9. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

a buddys now ex-wife

10. gtowagon

gtowagon

I ran preadator carbs back in the 80's the only issue I ever had was changing the idle cams in the float bowl to do this you had to remove the front plate which would dump any fuel out that is in there. One day while changing cams I pulled the front cover off dousing the intake with fuel got the cam changed and installed the cover somehow I managed to ground out the hot lug on the alternator and presto had a fire, ran and got the dogs water dish but not enuf water to douse the flames then ran to the house to get the hose ran back with hose only to realize that it was 10 feet to short to make it to garage hose got tight i ended up on my as, finally put fire out by spraying with the hose from the yard. Looked up to see my dad laughing hysterically with a fire extinguisher in his hand said he would have helped but it looked like I had things under control. Damage was minimal and a lesson was learned

11. garage nut

garage nut

Ran my lit torch across the fill neck of a pinto gas tank to see if it had any fuel in it
    I saw a circle of flames roll down the tube as i dropped the torch to the floor and ran out of the shop waiting for something bad
    to my supprise nothing happened except for a little urine on my pants

12. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Some of you guys mentioned that little voice in your head that says this ain't such a good idea. Listen to that voice! I did some dirt track racin when I was in my 20's. It was the off season and I had my 300 six race motor out of the car. I don't remember why I didn't put it on the engine stand when I pulled it out of the car. It was just sitting on the garage floor. I needed it to be on the stand. I usually used a buddy's cherry picker but it was at his shop and I didn't feel like going after it. With the motor still on the floor I bolted the head of the engine stand to it. I placed the back of the engine stand against the workbench so it couldn't move (yeah right). I drag the motor over the the engine stand. Stand the motor up on an angle being very careful to lean the pipe on the head of the stand against the opening of the pipe on the stand that it slides into. So far so good. Being in my twenties I figured I was invincible. I figured I was plenty strong enough to muscle the front of the motor up and push it back so the pipe on head of the stand would slide into the pipe on the top of the stand. That's when I heard that little voice. The voice said "This isn't such a good idea. You could hurt your back....again! Or you could drop the engine". Of course if I had listened to the little voice I wouldn't be typing this. I don't remember how much a 300 inliner weighs but it's darn heavy, 600 pounds maybe? I managed to pick up the front of the motor and was pushing it back into place when the stand moved ever so slightly sideways. Gravity took over and the motor fell. My right foot broke it's fall. More specifically the second toe on my right foot broke the motor's fall. I guess you could say the motor's fall broke my toe as well. Of course I wasn't wearing steel toe work boots. I was wearing canvas sneakers. That was the worst pain I had felt in my entire life (to that point). I was sure my toe was cut off. I hobbled up to the house and told my wife that I was hurt. She said are those tears? I said I think so. She asked if I wanted to go to the ER. I said maybe. She said, damn, you must really be hurt. My entire foot had been smashed but one toe took the brunt of the impact. I taped it to my big toe and took some Advil.

13. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I was hanging new fluorescent light fixtures out in the shop with a 12 foot ladder. I climbed to the top with my cordless drill in hand, drove the screw that holds the chain into the ceiling, then set my drill down flat on the battery pack on the top step of the ladder. Without thinking, I started down the ladder minus my cordless drill. When I got to the bottom of the ladder I glanced up and saw the drill at the top, but figured, "well, I've only got to move the ladder over about four feet. If I move it slowly the drill shouldn't fall..."

I began moving the ladder to my left, keeping an eye on the drill up top. The ladder caught my right foot, causing me to look down, and causing the drill to begin a perilous wobble. I looked up just in time to watch the drill fall over... headed straight for my face. I looked down and winced my eyes at the last possible second, and braced for impact. I'm 6' tall, and the ladder was 12' tall, which leaves a gap of 6' for the drill to accelerate. The drill landed square on the top of my head, knocking me unconscious. Dunno for how long, but I came to on the floor looking up, hair matted with blood, and a giant Flintstone knot on top of my dome.

14. MISCONSTUDE

MISCONSTUDE

Typical dry Texas summer when I built the cage in the Stude. I'm on the driveway next to the garage cutting tubing with the chop saw, sparks flying into the dry yard, I smell grass burning and look up to see a fast growing fire has started. I looked at the hose at the house, and that little voice in my head says there's not enough time, so out into the flames I go to stomp out the blaze. After what seemed like an eternity, the fire is out and my old work boot soles are melted. I'm sure neighbors were laughing their ass off watching me dance around the yard. I keep the hose or the fire extinguisher close when I do hot work now.

15. carlisle1926, I haven't laughed that much since the "shit blender" tale!:D If anyone hasn't read that one, do a search, you will laugh hysterically.

16. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

My shop has a 14' high ceiling. One summer day I had the garage door open & a wasp flew in, went around me a couple of times, then up into a corner in the rafters. I had some wasp spray out there so I grabed it and spayed. He dropped straight down, then towards me! I turned and hauled ass for the door, hitting a puddle of trans. fluid from what I'd been working on, busted my ass, at speed, rolling out the door with some road rash! I was laughing at myself for being such a wuss/dumbass before I peeled myself up of the ground.

17. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:eek: You're going to have to tell me how to search for that. I couldn't find it.

18. kahunah

kahunah
    from Virginia

Back when I was in High School I had a part time job at a private school bus company. One of the busses was in for a major overhaul. International gas engine. I was working on the back brakes and another guy was taking down the engine in frame. He was knocking out the pistons from below. Apparently when he knocked one of them out it returned the favor by coming over the block and down on his head. I was talking to him and couldn't understand why he stopped answering. That is until I walked around the other side. K.O.'d right there

19. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

I've got two:

1. I left a shop rag that was covering the cam valley in a BBC in when installing an intake, good thing the distributor snagged it, or else i would have never noticed it. Ooops.

2. It didn't end badly but it felt stupid. A machining job, that was "red-necked" <-- not my style but boss needed it now.

[​IMG]

20. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Yea those are saw blades. :(

21. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

22. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

Got cought with my girlfreind by my now X wife:rolleyes:

23. One of the funniest things I've read in ages!
    Oddly, I've done that myself many times, without the fire ants. :eek:

24. piratestagehand

piratestagehand
    from Sparta, NJ

I was welding a tab for a fuel tank on my 1969 Triumph bobber. Right under the newly installed heat detector... and yep the cops, fire dept and building owner all showed up. I'm a dumbass. Luckily they didn't charge me for a false alarm. The next day I came in to a new detector on the other side of my shop and a freshly painted patch in the center of my shop ceiling.

25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is hilarious! Thanks 29bowtie!

26. This morning I kicked over a nearly full can of paint that cost £35 (nearly $50).

27. blucarspeed

blucarspeed
    from oregon

17 stiches, YOU GOTTA HOLD ON TO A GRINDER CUT OFF WHEEL....

28. Three oldies but goodies from my college years

1. Introduced my thumb to a 4lb mallet... on more than one occation... on the same job
    2. Lent tools out
    3. Left an insulating washer while replacing an alternator on a friend's car

29. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Oh that looks safe !sure as shit doesn't stink ! Way braver than me ! That is a perfect example of strong like bull - dumb like streetcar ! Glad u survived ! Sure u didn't sniff some paint ! LOL:eek: