Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Chevy Truck Door Latches

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60galaxieJJ, Apr 29, 2012.

1. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

We're trying to remove the drivers side door latch from a 50 chevy pickup. we got the handle off and un screwed the latch. Now we cant figure out how to take the arm that is connected from the inside door handle, so we can pull the whole latch out.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

So we looked into the door and saw that the window rail is stopping the latch from piping into the door to remove it

3. jjsound

jjsound

Good to know, I have a similar project approaching.

4. Well did you pull the channel and remove the latch ?

5. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Its sucks I swear it was assembled by people that hate the future. They made it hard as shit

6. The latch arm that attches to the door itself must also be removed. When that is done the arm has a oblong hole in the end that attches to the latch so you will need to turn the latch arm up to the 12:00 position and pull it toward you , you will also have to remove the 2 lower screws to let the window channel free so the latch can get by it, then the latch
    can be removed past the fuzzy U channel and drop it to the bottom . The hinge panel at the bottom of the door will give you axcess to retrieve the latch. You can re-install much the same way but you will have to streach to re-install it.
    Good luck

7. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

We can't see a way to to removing it without bending the shit out of it. Maybe we'really all to drunk???

8. Make sure the window is rolled up all the way! Remember ....don't drink and drive
    u might spill your drink !

9. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Do we have to unbolt the mechanism that the inside door handle connects to?

10. Yes, cause that is the pc that must be turned to 12:00 to remove. This is the door lever not the window regulator. You can leave that where it's at.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should be able to move it enough to push the latch in and rotate it around the channel. It doesn't take that much room to get it out once you have the channel loose.

[​IMG]
    You can see how the arm comes off in this photo.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  12. Good job Mr 48 Chevy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is who you need to be talking with boys.
    Good Luck

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget to take out the third screw that is at the top of the latch in the inside.
    [​IMG]

14. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

in the inside of the door? i couldnt feel one. but this truck has been messed with before. the whole latch moves now just cant seem to twist it enough to move t out even after i un screwed the 2 screws from the outside that hold on the rail to the door

15. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

oh and you wouldnt happen to have a spare latch my buddy could buy or get off ya? or know of a decent place to get one.

16. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Still can't get the latch out of the door it just seems like there's not wnoughroom to twist it all the way out

17. Check out brothers trucks. I Couldn't find the latches onthe web site but i could have sworn i saw one in their catolog.

18. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sounds like your window track is still in the way.
    Did you try to loosen or remove the 2 screws that hold the window track in as suggested above?

The repo latches are junk. Try repairing your originals, or finding originals at a swap meet.

Most vendors carry the aftermarket latches, Chevy of 40's, Classic Parts, Jim Carter, Truck shop in Orange Cali.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  19. This is exactly what you need to do. I just removed the latches for my 53 GMC and this is how I did the job. You must remove the two screws on hte lower door that hold the window channel. Once the release arm is removed from the latch (yes you have to remove the handle assy), the latch will basically drop down to the bottom of the door.

20. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

yes i removed the 2 screws that hold the track in place but still cant remove the old latch. its loose and moves but still cant get it to drop out. thanks for the detailed pics.