Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another HAMB Definition Request from FNG

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Olds Dad, May 1, 2012.

1. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

How do I change my avi from "FNG" to "Chucklehead who knows what a shoebox is" ?

2. Rem

Rem

I seem to remember, back in the '80s, early '90s maybe, when fast doorslammers were the hot ticket, Hot Rod and other magazines called tri-Chevys "shoeboxes".

But, yeah, that was well before the WWW corrected all our errors...

3. Larry T

Larry T

A little more fuel for the fire.

"..........Bob Bunker, Dave Riolo (both west coasters) and Charles Carpenter are pretty much responsible for starting the "Shoebox Wars." Guys like Vandergriff, Littleton, and others soon followed.........."

But, I will agree that in "HAMB reality" (where you might be on thin ice using a trailer to get your race car to the track. :D), Shoeboxes are 49-51 Fords.
    Larry T

4. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

49-51 Fords on the street & 55 57 Chevys at the track is what I always thought it was.

There's a VHS drag racing tape put out by the Jackson Bros called Shoebox Dreams. I don't think there's any Fords in it.

5. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

ditto;)

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1st off, it doesn't have any "official" meaning. In Motown my Dad and his cronies called 49-51 Fords "slabsides" as in, "...we'd take a slabside Ford and...". Shoebox reminds me of the tri-5s because of the doorslammer wars already mentioned and I was always a drag race fan. I think it's perfectly acceptable to refer to either as shoeboxes.

What's a "phone booth"? Is it a T coupe or a 28-9 Model A pickup?

If a goat is a ram and a donkey an ass, why is a ram in the ass a goose?

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

8. Yep

Its OK to trailer a race car but not a show car. ;)

On the same note you can lead a horse to water but you can't lead a whore to culture.

9. Larry T

Larry T

http://www.shoebox-shop.com/

If ya'll get tired of me backing the Chevy side of this, let me know. I'll argue for the Fords for a while. :D
    Larry T

Attached Files:

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I've never heard of anybody using the term on tri 5 Chevy's until reading it on the HAMB in the last 10 or 12 years. We never called them that in my area. Only the 49-51 Fords. Obviously not every area of the country agrees with me.

11. I dont know how you get that changed, BUT, thats some funny sh*t right there, LMAO!

12. outlaw256

outlaw256

when we lived in tn. everyone i knew called tri 5S SHOE BOXES. never really heard ford called that till we move to al. no wait, not until i got on the hamb did i hear fords called that.but it dont matter to me, hell i love both of them.ive owned 6 55s and i 49 ford. call them what you want i would love to have either box back!! lol

13. It must be a regional thing. A Shoebox has been a 49-51 Ford as far back as I can remember. The first person I ever heard who referred to a tri-5 Chevy as a Shoebox is my brother-in-law, and that was just a couple of years ago. We've been arguing about it since then. Of course, I'm right and he's wrong.:D

14. Except OG came from Original Gansta. That was the first use and meaning of it, and then like everything else it got whored out to other meanings

Properly stated! My dad and his friends called them shoeboxes in 49 when they came out as that was what they looked like compared to the fat fendered cars that came before them. As usual the Chevy guys were late to the party and tried to steal the term. Just as a Nova or Chevy II is NOT a Deuce! (or a shoebox)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    You can lead a Horse to Water, but a Pencil Must be Lead
    Good then you'll be arguing the truth ;)

Well there's your problem :eek:

15. wasn't me

wasn't me
    from texas

Seems to me that Shoeboxes was used in reference to the Fords and Chevys were considered Stovebolts.

16. I didn't think you had been to my place. :D

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I've had my 53 chevy called that , a few times..and by Men much older than I

I just call it my 53 chevy:rolleyes:..what a concept, eh?

18. I don't know I have been trying to get mine changed to Emperor about forever. If you find out shoot me an infogram. :D

19. same guys who say Nice Dune Buggy? Or Killer Rat Rod?
    Stupidity and Ignorance know no age limits

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Hhahah aint that the truth