Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever have buyers remorse and try to make the seller give your money back?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edelbroke, May 1, 2012.

1. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

I bought a car off ebay once, seller said the drive train was in perfect condition and the car had no issues, He's reputable and pretty well known so I took his word for it, he even offered to let me drive it (he was about an hour and a half from me) I declined because I figured his word was good enough. Fast forward a week later, I won the car, went to pick it up and noticed as i was leaving his driveway to get on my way that the tranny was only shifting second and third, there was no first. I just kept going since it was my fault for not checking it out before I bought it... I guess that's why dealerships have a no cooling off period, i can only imagine how many cars they would have returned for this and that....

2. you know, I had a New Car dealer do that to me one time, it was back in 93 I bought a new F150 and got a great price. well, the next day the dealer call and said they made a mistake and they want another $3000. I said no. an hour later they call back and wanted $2500, No again. next time $2000, no again ... this went on for about 3- 4 hours, I finley told them I called the police a reported them becouse in one call they said they could come and "pick up the truck". After that they never called back.
    I just wonder how many times that works.

3. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

I would not agree to give him a nickel!

Once you received the money and that car left your possession its a DONE DEAL.

I would not take the car back or give him any concessions. Who knows what parts have been changed on the car by this guy or his employees.

Stand strong!

I would go to the next Barrett Jackson auction and seek this guy out and introduce myself, remind him of your deal and tell him to have a nice day! :rolleyes:

4. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Although he is selling high dollar cars he is still a used car salesman and should be treated as such. I deal with them all the time and they suck, they will do anything legal or not to screw you out of a buck. Anyways, it is his property now, not yours, and if he's interested in selling HIS Nomad to you you might be interested in buying it from him for say $8000.00? If he's not interested in that price than please quit harassing you.

5. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

.." but in the same email at the bottom he changes his tune and says he'd be happy with $4,000 dollars back or he will take legal action."..

ex·tort   [ik-stawrt]
    verb (used with object)
    Law .
    a.
    to wrest or wring (money, information, etc.) from a person by violence, intimidation, or abuse of authority; obtain by force, torture, threat, or the like.

Extortion? it fits the legal description

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it is, but the good Lord didn't distribute the common sense equally. Some folks were skipped completely, and the buyer is obviously one of them.

7. WornOutOldMan

WornOutOldMan
    from So Cal

I'm with those who think you should rat him out. It's good to know who not to deal with or at least exercise extreme caution. And yeah he should pound a whole pail of sand up his ass.

8. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Merely threats especially since he initiated the signed contract. He's just seeing if you'll get scared and give him money back.

My guess is that this tactic has worked before and it's part of his business dealings to make more money for him in the end...

9. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Sounds like retroactive negotiating to me....

10. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

I would not give this guy the sweat off my balls if he were on fire. Bring back cowboy justice-let him dance at the end of a rope!

11. skwurl

skwurl

I hd a guy do that with an engine block. He comes and looks at it and pays me. A week or so later he calls me and tells me an ear for a bell housing bolt is broken off. I never noticed it. He looked at it in person before he bought it. To beat it all he was an engineer for Mahle engine components. You would think he would be a little more attentive to detail.

12. twinstick

twinstick

I smell a scam!!!!!

13. EXACTLY!
    I have worked on the service side of new car dealerships for the last 10 years and you would not beleive the amount of BS and "negotiation" your average new or used car "manager" or veteran salesman is willing to put themselves and ANYONE else(including co-workers) thru just to feel like they won "the game". They will lose good customers forever, not to mention alienate and waste the time of co-workers/possible friends just to get-over a dollar on someone.

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

A tidbit of information to those suggesting to record phone calls. In many (most) states it is illegal to record a phone call unless BOTH parties agree, and this even appies to in-person conversations with a mini-recorder in your shirt pocket. It's a serious offense, and you can't use the voice recording in court as evidence anyway. Better to start an email chain with the guy and document as much as you can in writing.

Anyway, I would never consider giving (or asking for) a refund unless there was a specific major problem that was not disclosed and even then I'd hesitate. This guy hasn't identified any major problem except he wasn't happy and he wants a retroactive discount.

By the way, the "contract" he sent after the fact is meaningless. It's a done deal, no document is going to rewind the clock for a do-over. Tear it up.

15. firstgear

firstgear

Not sure what his beef is, but that looks like a great car for the price. As is, means he gets the car just like you sold it.

16. We have a saying at work that common sense is no longer common. It's now a rare option.

17. firstgear

firstgear

I would not put anything in writing.....do not communicate via anything in writing.

Our attorney at work has a saying....

Dont write if you can speak, don't speak if you can whisper, don't whisper if you can mumble, don't mumble if you can nod...

Bottom line put nothing in writing.

I forgot this little detail when I went through my divorce and an email I wrote to the ex came back and cost me $30k......her attorney turned the words all around.

You are better off not communicating with him....If it bothers you, take the contract to a local attorney, have him look at it and afterwards have him agree that you will tell the guy that he can contact your attorney at the following address. End of story.....

Me, I ignore him and let him spend more money to try and get $ out of me....

18. OldsRanch

OldsRanch

he wants a warranty on a 60 year old used car. Tell him to eat shit. I do the bill of sale thing too, won't sell one without it.

My warranty ends at the intersection of my driveway and the road out front.

Had one jerkoff have his lawyer send me a letter about an o/t 4x4 I sold years ago. He spent a bunch on the truck, needed a bunch more, he knew it when he bought it, I pointed the stuff out for the dude. He had since installed new exhaust, tune up, etc, and a buch of stuff.. I told the lawyer that I'd be glad to refund his money when he returned it to me in its current condition (knowing full well how much he put into it). He did! I was shocked. I ended up getting an extra grand out of it selling it the second time! Some folks just get scared I guess.

19. JD Miller

JD Miller

Its obvious from your first post the guy is just trying to extort money.

I say rat him out.

Im sure it wont be the first time he's been ratted out for is BS. He's a big boy and obviously has no remorse about his bad reputation for fucking people over

20. Fenders

Fenders

Also add: buyer has had the opportunity to inspect, or have his agent inspect, the vehicle, and has done so or has declined to do so and accepts the vehicle as is.

In Massachusetts add this:

This motor vehicle is sold "as is" for parts or repair. It has the following defects which the buyer is aware of and which would require repair before use:
    (list some defect or defects, however minor)
    Due to needed repair, this motor vehicle is not purchased for the immediate personal or family use of the buyer, and Massachusetts General Laws chapter 90 section 7N does not apply to this sale.

21. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Caveat Emptor.........without a warranty the buyer takes the risk.

22. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Post #35 times two. Keep all of your documentation. The nerve of some people if his agent accepted it ....done fucking deal! What a whiner!

23. Mojo

Mojo

Sounds like he has pulled this stunt before, and it worked. I mean no offence to anyone here, but from my personal experience, a lot of the people that have money and deal in money, are often real fuckers about money. They'll burn the bridge they're walking on if it puts some more dollars in their pockets. It's a safe bet this guy has a whole long list of enemies.

For whatever it's worth, i've seen the buyer's remorse side of it too. I have a old friend who bought a muscle car. Got a great solid deal on a great solid car. No lies or bullshit with the car. He owns it for a week, gets overwhelmed, and starts talking about sending it back, or demanding some money back from it. I got pissed with him, and pointed out what a shit thing to do, that the seller didn't lie or anything else. If anything, the seller was too forthcoming about the car, IMO. I also pointed out that he needs to face the real reason for his remorse, and stop making it the car's fault. He's a perfectionist, and being a recovering one myself, I know how that messes with reality. Anyhow, he's a good guy, just got caught up in the emotions of it, instead of thinking with his head logically.

24. This sounds like it has nothing to do with the car.

If he paid with a check and wants $4K in cash, it sounds like this bastard is in some kind of financial trouble and is looking to scare some cash out of you.

25. daddio211

daddio211

Mike, you're absolutely right about recording. Every state is different, but Utah State law allows residents to record all calls without consent or notification. They can be used in a court of law in Utah, but whether they are admissable in other states would be up to the judge. Still, its perfectly legal HERE, but everyone shoud check laws where they live.

Thanks for pointing that out. I should have clarified better, I'm in the telecom industry! :eek:

26. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Well said! :cool:

27. JJK

JJK

I bought on OT truck a few years ago from a guys front yard in Lubbock. We agreed on a price signed the paperwork and went about out business. I took a small bag of tools, fresh gas, and battery over and had the truck running in about an hour. So I grabbed my air tank topped off the tires and drove it to my house about a mile away. Later that afternoon the guy calls me wondering how I got the truck out. So i told him what was wrong and what I did and he say "bring my truck back", I asked what he was talking about and he says he wanted more money or the truck back. I said ok see you in a little while, drove the truck for 3 years across Tx and Colorado with no hiccups. Never got another call from the guy again, Wonder if he's still waiting on me to show?

28. davidh73750

davidh73750

29. twinstick

twinstick

tell this guy sorry for your bad luck!!

30. twinstick

twinstick

im really surprised that sommone hasn't already surved him up some good 'ol suthern justice