Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Dave Bell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUNROOFCORD, May 1, 2012.

1. storm king

storm king

Wow. Very sorry to hear this.

2. slim53

slim53

Wow! Praying for you and your family Dave! Never had the opportunity to meet but have always loved his work.

3. chip chipman

chip chipman

Meet Dave in Sacramento 1990. Got his picture and he signed it. Putting a face to the name.

Attached Files:

4. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

The M.C. Escher of hot rodding (and biking).

Tough break, man. Hope your days are peaceful.

5. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

The shirts he did for Back to the 50's are still some of my favorite shirts. Prayers are sent to one fine cartoonist.

6. customcory

customcory

I am sorry to hear about this. David and I wrote letters back and forth a long time ago.We would talk about 53 Oldsmobiles. I still got the stuff he would send, little bits and pieces of stuff he drew or whatever was laying around. I would send him drawings and he showed them to Pat Ganahl and that led to other good things. He treated me like anybody else , I'm sure I was a opinionated teenager to him, lol. Whats really weird is I put these pics of bikes David painted that he sent to me then on facebook, felt like I had to do it and went to some trouble to do it. Then this news comes, I hate cancer , I hope Dave pulls through, I wish him the best.

CORYSBELLJPG.jpg customcory%2023387.jpg

Now he didn't have to do this but he did, we talked about how I liked lowriders so much , I had a 48 Chevy 4 door Fleetline at the time. He must have took it to heart becauce he did that cartoon with my Chevy like he would do it at the bottom. I still brag about this.

David Bell.jpg David Belll.jpg

These are two off of his paint jobs, I can't remember , it might be his bikes too. He would send stuff like this. Before the internet of course.I never have contacted him that much lately, I thought about it , just didn't do it. Get better Dave!;)

7. welloiledmachines

welloiledmachines

Very sad news. I went to the NSRA nats in Columbus in '81 and was totally blown away by the pinstripin' he did on several cars from Minnesota. Dave was and is my favorite pinstriper. I never met him but I did talk to him a few months ago on the phone. Very nice gentleman.
    He will be in my prayers.

8. PDQ36

PDQ36

The drawings he did of our cars have taken on a new, deeper, significance to me now...

Attached Files:

9. Dave_Lantto

Dave_Lantto

Really sad news...

Years ago, I always wanted to call and ask for his advice on drawing, but never had the guts to do it, thinking he wouldn't take the time to share. But after reading this thread, now I am really sorry I never tried. I'll make a point to not hesitate to talk to one of my heroes the next time I have the chance.

Thanks Dave, for all your artistic inspiration!

10. Ahh, man that breaks my heart. I met Dave years ago at the Nostalgia Drags in Fremont. He's a first class guy. Prayers for Dave and family.

Charlie

11. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Very very sad news! Dave was a huge influence on me with all of his great poster and tee shirt art and his Henry Hirise cartoons. I pray for him, his family and friends.

12. 65Riviera

65Riviera

Dave is a hugh influence on me and my generation, very sad news... Prayers sent to him and his family.

13. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Yeah saw this on FB......I'm afraid that we're gettin to the age when a lot of our heroes are going to be movin on....sux...wish him nothing but the best!

14. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

I believe this was Dave's last Flame Job...

Attached Files:

15. Am privileged to have been able to call Dave my friend since 1966....loved to bust me about my MSRA # being 47 and his # 45..we Have had very similar attitudes and opinions about politics and minoritys..He shared his work on several of my projects over the years , particularly a Harley chopper I did in 74 called Beautiful Noise , his work on that bike was just exquisite ....last year about this time I brought the dash for my 35 coupe to have him do his special magic....anybody could have done it, I wanted Dave to do it although I knew he hadnt been striping in years...He liked my project and after alot of coaxing I talked him into doing it, I talked to him about once a month all last year and the last time about 3 weeks ago and he was still insisting he wanted to get it done for me.....In all that time he never once complained or spoke about his condition, although I could see he wasnt feeling good. would bitch and complain about alot of stuff but never himself...a great man, a great talent and as much of a hot rodding legend as has lived ...proud to call him my friend, sad he couldnt get to my dash, but thats life , unrealized dreams, just makes that dash, ever more important and precious to me....his spirit was so willing...Visited with his wife this morning, we had a very emotional time , she is doing as well as you might expect, and then I went to see Dave who recognized me but thats about it...I cant tell you how much this hurts me...pray for him

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Very, very nice guy, with an amazing memory for people. I'm very sad to hear that he's leaving us.

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

All the really cool kids are leaving the planet...:(

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Always loved his cartoons....sad news.

19. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Damnit... :-( this is TERRIBLE news................................

Kanada will never be the same.

Kevin and I tried to stop in and see him three months ago or better... I wanted to thank him for donating a drawing for my fire fund in person but he wasnt home. Hes the coolest- and I used to LOVE the BTTF's shirts as well... We had stopped in and talked to him one year and he had seen Bleed and I ripping it up on Snelling in the Hex and Bleeds roadster and thought it was rad-

I always thought it was cool that Minnesota was home to some really super talented people like Dave.

It was rad the way he put together those drawings... if you were in one you were somebody in the street scene for sure- I too used to stare at his full page drawings in R&C growing up... I loved all the detail.

:-(
    Tuck

20. Tfoose

Tfoose

Sending heartfelt thoughts and prayers. We think of Dave often as we have his work hanging in our dinning room with pride.
    God Bless all the family and please give Dave our best wishes.
    Sam and Terry Foose

21. twochops

twochops

Here's drawing of two of my Mercurys he did for me
    back in 1998.------------TwoChops

Attached Files:

22. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

What sad news .......... Dave and I met for the first time years ago when he did a drawing that included my Yellow Model A. I was able to spend time with him when he visited Pomona recently, and was blessed with my Roadster in another drawing just last month. He is a remarkable individual and artist !
    My thoughts and prayers go out to Dave and his family.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  23. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thoughts and prayers are about him.
    Michael

24. jjrodder

jjrodder

25. Brandi

Brandi

Aw man, this breaks my heart. I've got two Dave Bell pieces hanging in my hallway. One for Billy Burnham and the other featuring a bunch of NW hot rod guys. Sending my good vibes to Dave and the family.

26. I always admired his design sense and style. It's always sad when artist can no longer create.

He will always be fondly remembered and his work will be his legacy.

27. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

A Dave Bell designed full fendered deuce sedan is on my list of must-build cars. His eye is one of the best! I'll never get to meet him but I send my prayers for him and his family. Godspeed.

28. Willy_P

Willy_P

Wonderful that he shared his talents freely with so many.
    I wonder if he ever met Bob Waldmire who recently passed away...he was an exceptional artist who focused on Route 66 themes.

29. Brian Brennan

Brian Brennan

Dave and I go back to the first issue of Street Rodder when Tex Smith said he knew this young artist who drew these incredibly intricate cartoons. They were pieces of art but Dave was a hot rodder and “got” many of the “behind the scene” ideas that’s part and parcel of everyday life. Dave is a great talent but more importantly a very good friend.
    Over the years we would spend time on the phone (not nearly enough) and we would talk about what was going on and he would pick my brain as to insight that he would include in Henry HiRise; which by the way has appeared in every issue of Street Rodder since its inception.
    To now know that his health is failing is a terribly sad moment for this hot rodder and for our entire hobby. Here’s hoping that there will be a favorable outcome.

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Well said Brian.
    This is very sad news indeed.
    I rememebr the first time I talked to Dave on the phone. Someone on the HAMB said Project Big Olds was in the lastest Dave Bell cartoon. I was so thrill. I wanted to talk to him about the original piece. Someone was kind enough to give me Dave's phone number and I hesitantly called him. WOW I was blown away at how friendly and outgoing he was. We talked for a LONG time just like old friends. I don't think Dave knows a stranger. Dave was kind enough to sell me the original which I have hanging in my kitchen and is one of my most prized possessions.

My thoughts and prayers to Dave, his family and many legions of friends.

[​IMG]

Meeting Dave for the first time in person at the GNRS. For sure one of the highlights of the event for me.
    [​IMG]

Going back on Sunday to spend more time hanging out. I know I swooped in for a hug but I can't find the photo. What an awesome gentleman.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2012