Register now to get rid of these ads!

Incredible welds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty f100, Oct 6, 2008.

1. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

There are a bunch of ways to do it, the best way is to just mess around with different techniques and to see what you come up with.

I made a post on my blog you might dig a little while back: http://watchtheprettylight.tumblr.c...yle-and-profile-walking-the-cup-bob-and-weave

2. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

This thread never disapoints.

That Marcella piece is pure art. Is that an intake as well?

3. zombie77

zombie77

4. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Pretty nice write up. Although I typically push when I MIG, I like going in the direction I'm sending my gas. But Push versus Pull is one of those debates that guys get all worked up about and I'm not gonna go there...

5. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

I am with you. Push if there is gas. Otherwise: If there is slag, you drag.
    Ron Covell quote.

6. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Ha! I like it.

7. sixty34me

sixty34me

I figured Id add some more of mine. Just Mig welds.

[​IMG]

8. looks good man!

9. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Damn....that was from 4 years ago. This thread has been going a while. I think I'm a bit better now. :D

10. Airguy

Airguy
    from my home

Alright i need some help i have a competition coming up for Tig welding. one of the joints is a 2g butt joint and a 3g butt joint on stainless steel 1/16 thick, for some reason only on those joints i cant get any color it all ways comes out black. I have tried everything i could think of, all kinds of angles, gas lens the only thing that i can think of is gas coverage and i'm not to sure how to solve that if i can only use a #6 cup for the competition. Any one got some tips? for welding in the 2g, 3g positions on thin gage stainless steel?
    :confused:

11. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Offhand I'd say a #6 cup with a 1/16" tungsten should give you plenty of coverage and hold up to the amps needed for 1/16".

Twice I've had issues with stainless where the finish just wouldn't come out right, no matter what I did. Both times it turned out the Argon was bad. If you have access to another bottle from another batch of gas, try that.

Other than that, still could be too hot, especially if you're not allowed a backing plate. With that material, I'd give each plate a sharp edges, clean the edges on both the front and the back with scotchbrite, butt them together and have fun. Try it flat and see what happens. Chances are on a butt joint that thin, it's not going to color up like a rainbow, but that's not a bad thing. You won't be doing short lengths to stop warping, you'll more than likely be doing it with one or less stop/starts. More heat will get into the material, colors will dull. A "Burnt" look or dull grey with what looks like spiderwebs in it isn't good, but a dull silver isn't bad.

12. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

I've been doing mostly sculptures the last couple of months. Not a lot of "real" welding...

But yesterday sucked. Took Woodson(the Brown Dog) to a surgeon for a consultation(major surgery on Monday), I felt like shit, I'm trying to get stuff together to head to Iowa for Torque Fest, at one point I spent 30 minutes looking for my keys...then left, only to realize I didn't have my wallet, turned around and spent another 30 minutes looking for that. Just one of those days.

So last night when I should have been prepping for the trip, instead I grabbed some scrap and pushed my air cooled torch and Dynasty 200 to the limit on a few passes. Therapy.

Colors seem odd because I was using stainless rod.

[​IMG]
    Walking the Cup by Brown Dog Welding, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

That's just downright gorgeous! What is the technique to produce that effect?

14. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Those particular passes were done by walking the cup and dipping the rod at the top and the bottom of the weld.

15. VooDoo Child 56

VooDoo Child 56
    from Jersey

OMFnG and just wow!!

16. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

Very nice Mr. Brown Dog. Air cooled torch? Bet that baby gets nice and warm doing work like that.

17. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Josh, have you ever thought of weekend seminars/classes. Not beginner stuff but advanced super kick ass welding techniques for hot rodders?.....if you do I'm in.

18. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

You know it! A lot of the stuff I've posted in the past was done with a water cooled torch and a Dynasty 350, but this was the 200 with a air cooled torch. Fans kicked on a few times, torch definitely got warm!

Yeah...there could be something like that in the future. I'm looking to start teaching this fall at the local CC, and the head of the department there is pretty down for "outside the box" education like that. Would be cool to do a few "one off" classes like that for guys that already have the core knowledge down pat.

19. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

Thats awesome man. Glad to hear your passing on your knowledge. :)

20. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

21. 313657_288710804486097_100000415381686_1050434_1133593489_n.jpg

Hey! I want to play too!! Now that I finally figured out how to load pics!

22. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah...there could be something like that in the future. I'm looking to start teaching this fall at the local CC, and the head of the department there is pretty down for "outside the box" education like that. Would be cool to do a few "one off" classes like that for guys that already have the core knowledge down pat.[/QUOTE]

Justin,

Is that at Macomb County CC?

I get over there occasionally and would like to meet you.

23. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Those are some awesome looking welds guys, but keep in mind that a "purdy" weld isn't always a strong one. There are plenty of "bird turds" out there that are actually stronger than some guy's "artsy" ones and I betcha they don't even know it.

24. blinddaddykarno

blinddaddykarno

Oh geez, we're gonna start this again! I am not any where closs to as good a welder as these guys, but do weld. More often then not, if a weld LOOKS sound, it usually is. If a weld looks like crap, it more than likely is. As always, there are exceptions.

25. Right, because if you KNOW what that bead should look like, why would you EVER run one that looked like shit? Being lucky isn't being a welder....

26. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

a bird turd weld will never be as strong as a good clean bead , it will be full of porosity , slag inclusion , and open weak spots , being able to stack chicken poop with chop sticks a welder does not make you , id love to have the time , tallent and machines to be able to weld like a pro ,

27. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Yessir. Doesn't sound like much is happening this summer, but hopefully I'll be up there at least a little bit in the fall.

28. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

I feel like such a child. True structural art.

29. DOugG

DOugG
    from mich

This is the kind of weld that I would like to know more about. I,m not a pro Tig welder by no means but can handle my own on 16ga. to 22ga. just fine. I would like to know the process of welding 1/4" to 1/4" with this style of a weld. Tungston size, weld rod size, heat setting and etc. would be helpfull. I can weld 1/4" but does not look like the one pictured[​IMG]

30. deto

deto

I laid down some sweet beads at work today and didn't take a pic.

As far as the picture above does anybody know what technique it takes to have the weld net be straight across the top and bottom as opposed to having a slight amount of scallop to it?