Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrysler Industrial Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47 Desoto, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Howdy folks! I have an opportunity to purchase this Chrysler Industrial Hemi that was used to power a larger welder. I believe it is a 354 according to the IND-56A indentification found on the block. I just wanted to confirm if it is possible to put this engine into a car with minor modifications of course? I am aware that the cam and other various items must be changed. My main concern is whether this block has an extended bellhousing or not? I'm planning on using a 727 transmission. Thanks 47 Desoto!

Attached Files:

2. studefreak

studefreak

kind of looks to me like it is a extended bell or does that piece on the rear of the block unbolt? something looks funny back there to me

3. Looks just like my 354, except for that rear part. I bet it unbolts. I never heard of a 354 extended bell.

4. 73RR

73RR

It appears to be some kind of bolt-on part.

The 56A is indeed a 354 and you will need very little to use this in a car.

So, what is the plan??

5. yes the extension on the back of the block unbolts - had a 331 industrial with it on there.

6. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

If you look close I'm sure that you will find that the 'extention" unbolts.

Watch out for the dimpled valve covers! It means that the engine has adjustable rocker arms (good thing) but I just sold one and the buyer wanted to ck that they were on the engine. We took off the valve cover and to my embarisment they were non adjustable!

7. Thanks you very much for the clarification guys! I'm quite certain that extention unbolts. If I do acquire the engine the long term plan is to do a complete rebuild with a 6-71 Dyers blower for my coupe!

8. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out the Hemi group on here and join. There is alot of good and useful informantion there. Good Luck on your project.

9. George

George

Thev IND don't have adj rockers, just the dimples. Put "Hemi Tech Index" in search & start reading!

artificer64 likes this.
  10. 73RR

73RR

...still looking for the first one...I have never found an Ind with adjustable rockers under the dimpled covers...:cool:

artificer64 likes this.
  11. S.F.

S.F.

some of those were ran on propane.... could look brand new inside. I'd change the cam anyways just to give it good sound

12. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

13. Brewton

Brewton

I had a Chrysler Industrial hemi.... the industrial models have a nitrided crank.

14. 73RR

73RR

...and here we go again...:cool:

15. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whats that hanging off under the distributor? some kind of govenor / throttle advance under load?

16. RAG66

RAG66
    from WASHINGTON

The Hemi was also used on some air raid sirens (another industrial application)

17. Race@Rockets

Race@Rockets

Nope Industrial Hemi wont work in a car...but Ill buy it for 250 bucks to power my generator! :) Just joking... killer find. I need those valve covers if you dont :)

18. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

another myth buster :rolleyes:

19. Red Magnum

Red Magnum
    from sacamento

Get a book at Barnes and Noble " Hemi" it has everything in it about the development, problems they had usage, and much more information than you will find anywhere on the Hemi. You owe it to yourself just to go thumb through it to see if it may be helpful to you.

20. I've got industrial engines in my 31 Pontiac and Dragmaster. Great find.

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

A welder??? What were they using for welding rod, rebar? What kind of badass welder is driven by a Chrysler Hemi?

King ford and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Got a 331 Ind. in the 34.

[​IMG]

SuperBuick55 likes this.
  23. George

George

Used in welders, air raid sirens, wells, wind machines, all sorts of things

24. 73RR

73RR

emergency generators, dock side winches, airport tugs, and the list goes on...

25. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I'd love to have an old tug....but with the flat 6:)

26. HemiIn34

HemiIn34

Fantastic to see, I'm doing the same thing. :)

27. sunbeam

sunbeam

Save the front mount for some one with a low deck Dodge with a Chevy water pump. Add ears for mounts on your trans adapter an it makes a clean setup.

28. gatz

gatz

Yes, for the application, a governor is needed.
    Worked for a guy that installed the 6" coolant lines and 4" oil lines on Fairbanks-Morse power plant engines. Heavy duty stuff. The welder had a DC generator for the welder behind the engine. As soon as an arc was struck, the governor would come into play to keep the rpms where needed.
    Don't recall exactly what the engine was, but it wasn't a HEMI.

Got hold of a 331 Industrial that was used for irrigation; it doesn't have or need a governor....just goes to a set throttle position as it's a somewhat steady load.
    Going to use it in the Chrysler shown in avatar.

Many farmers used them back in the 60's for crop irrigation. They had to be careful when first starting the pump so as not to blow the ends of the tubes out....which it could easily do.
    Also, there was also a small company around that used a HEMI Industrial to power a wood chipper.
    It had a governor as well, but it may have been an after market setup.
    The chips were used for bedding.
    IIRC, the price of gasoline eventually made it a money-losing operation.

If the engine you have is going into the DeSoto in your avatar, that'll be a good application. You're right about the cam changeout.
    The adapter for the 727 is available........member 73RR has them.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    SuperBuick55 likes this.
  29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Knew an old time welder that had a home made welder with a 4 cylinder English car engine driving a WW2 surplus aircraft generator. He would weld thick steel plate with 1/4" rod and that would make her bark. I should think with a Chrysler Hemi driving a welder you could weld battleships together with 1" welding rod.

30. sunbeam

sunbeam

I wonder what changes were made to drive the governor.