Register now to get rid of these ads!

Delivery, Woody, 4 door, year, etc ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the13bats, May 1, 2012.

1. the13bats

the13bats
    from orlando

I have been on the hunt for a car for my wife,
    She wants something that looks like some jalopy that the Munsters would drive,
    Some thing late 20's early 30's
    This will be her daily driver and so it needs easy things like windows and AC but the issues are body wise, I am starting to believe there isn't a car that is really what she wants,

Here is one example of one she fell in love with but it was sold before we found it,

[​IMG]

I believe this woody for example was a custom build on a 4 door, it looks longer to me,
    I started looking at 4 doors but We must have the rear deviverly door for use, we don't need a back seat, but we do want the big side windows, so clue me in,
    Do people add rear doors to non delieveries?

I have been building things like kit cars and custom vettes well over 30 years street rods are new to me,

Toss some ideas at me....of course mega dollar turn key trailer queens are out of my leauge.

Many thanks!
    Cheers,
    P.

2. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

That thing looks very homemade. Trailer fender on the rear . grill is placed funny, but If that is what she wants You should be able to build something like that out of any old late 20's - early 30's cowl , front fenders and grille of your choice ( the matching rear fenders would look a lot better ) Modify a fram or scratch build one - AS for the body get out yur skill saw.

3. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Really it wouldn't that hard to stay on budget with something like this ( if you don't get all wrapped up in it looking like a factory job )

4. Pharouh

Pharouh

Sounds like a great idea!

You don't suppose that's an S-10 chassis do you?

5. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Probablly about a 87.3% chance it is! :eek:

6. the13bats

the13bats
    from orlando

In my life of building junk I have done wild stuff with fiberglass and some metal,
    I'm not a wood worker but have friends who are,

I know the appeal this thing has to my wife is a hearse look without being a real one.

Things like the rear fenders and grill your eye, being into this stuff caught, having not been told I never would have known that, like I said street rods are not my savvy,

So let me ask a hard question, I know lots come into play, but, what value would you place on this one, what would you have called a "fair" asking price....

I need to get even more outside the box with my thinking,
    S10 frame...hum.

7. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Yeah the s-10 frame thing isn't a real classy idea. Most of them are real crappy hack jobs. I would use a model A frame or square tubing similar to a T bucket frame - The s-10 frame will not fit this body shape well at all-
    Value on this car.... I wouldn't give very much for it at all, It just hits me wrong, but I bet it sold for 10k or more.

8. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Get the tex smith book " how to build a hot rod chassis " you can get it on ebay cheap
    Find a model A cowl, fenders , and grill - Use a model A frame - I think you can get a woodie body kit for an A - It will look like similar to this car but 50 times better .

9. the13bats

the13bats
    from orlando

I do not recall it saying what the chassis was but oddly it has power steering,
    That's just the feed back I need, I can imagine this and others are hit or miss, beauty in the eye type thing,
    I understood it sold for 12.5 K...

10. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

11. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

The more I look at that car the more homemade the cowl looks to...

12. badshifter

badshifter

Not a lot of street rod interest or info on the HAMB by design. By all means, build or buy what you want or need, but that there example of woodworking is horrible!
    If you're into oddballs, get a less common or overlooked make. Anything but that plywood thingie.

13. the13bats

the13bats
    from orlando

Actually, I have received some very good info in this thread....

14. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

not even close to a factory body. early versions were all 4 doors and not a bulky. homemade versions can usually be bought for a lot less than a factory one. if you look at pictures of 1928 - 31 bodies you can easily tell the difference

15. echnidna

echnidna
    from Australia

From the location of the radiator and engine etc I reckon that is built on a later model pickup chassis, perhaps a Toyo etc