Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Hate California Gas Pumps!!! (anyone else??)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elvisaurusrex, May 1, 2012.

1. XXL__

XXL__

"I was here first" comments are bigoted.

2. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

I have lived in California...Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria back in the middle to late 70s and early 80s. Great place but I prefer Wisconsin even with the goofy weather. Plus we are flush with cool cars. Check out our show schedules and you'll see. Cruise nights during the warm months on every night of the week. Just look at this calender... http://www.wednesdaynightclassics.com/cgi-bin/bb/ikonboard.cgi

3. My state can beat up your state.

4. OK, fine you win. Just remember, if you don't vote, you get what someone else decides is best for you, including crappy gas pumps. A year ago yesterday Rodney King said those famous words (besides OUCH) Can't we all get along?

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  5. Well played sir, well played. ;):D

6. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not good enough, why is it bigoted? I did not realize Omahaians were so easily offended.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. firingorder1

firingorder1

I really don't give a rats about our fuel pumps. I love it here and can't think of anywhere else I would want to live. The only thing I can think of that would improve SoCal is if Bonneville was here. Meh! What am I bitchin' about? El Mirage is an hour away. I should complain. Paradise.

8. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

Why the hell did this turn into a big argument over who has a better place to live, anyway? I wanted to talk about gas fillers, not EPA crap.

Big Creep answered my question hours ago... Learn how to use the pump... But how GM designed this 40+ years ago, I think I need to amend it and add a piece of something for which to push up against the rubber... But you know, I can just shut up about it and live with it- I care about driving it more than the communist takeover or whatever it is that's gonna kill me this week...

I think this thread should be taken out back and shot in the face- I should go fuckin' surf.

9. XXL__

XXL__

Merriam-Webster--

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

"I'm a special class that is better than you." It's not much different than saying that, because you're a man, you are superior to women (and should be paid more). Or, because your skin is [insert color here], you are better than [insert different color here] people. Or Aussies are better than Ozzies. Everyone does this to some extent or another, even you and me. But that doesn't make it OK, and that doesn't mean it's not bigoted. Just acknowledge the "superiority" behavior and then maybe try not to flash it around... it might make society a little better place for everyone. Or, we can all keep hating all the people who aren't like us. How's that working for us?

I'm glad you asked, BTW.

/2 cents (or 0.0194158 AUD)

10. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I see this went from hating California gas pumps to hating California.

Q-How was your dinner?
    A-I hate the color green:p

11. gotit

gotit

There is already a good tool to aid with the rubber. Its a knife. Cut that rubber off the nozzle and return to the same pump to fill. Im sure it will not be replaced quickly.

I don't agree with messing with someone else property like that but if its spilling fuel all over then its not safe and it is causing more harm to your property.

12. JD Miller

JD Miller

I swear those things suck some of the gas back as you try and fill your tank. So you pump 10 gallons and it "steals" back 2 gallons before it goes in your tank

I usually hold the rubber boot back while im pumping so it doesnt seal

13. I think we need to all hold hands and think how Mr. Rogers would have handle this. After all, it is, a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

14. For the first part of your comment - I will GIVE you my 1975 F150 if you can put gas in it at any normal So Cal Gas station without spilling a drop and not using some hose, extension, tool or other device; or just dribbling the gas in at a rate of a quarter gallon a minute. Or for that matter my 75 Pinto Wagon, or my 63 Falcon. It ain't gonna happen. Those current filler nozzles just don't work with the necks in these vehciles. And there sure as hell isn't anyway to put them in and have them stay like the old nozzles or the new ones on new cars, They just fall out :eek:

As for the second part of your comment - DAMN RIGHT! And we don't go around bashing the shit holes that they come from either :D

15. I pull the rubber thing back by hand and clip it in place with a clip thing I got at my local motorcycle store for about $4.

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

typical "much ado about nothing"....
    I have a stock, '34 gas tank and have no problems.
    I can't lock on the nozzle and walk away, but, really, how lazy can you get?
    Just stand there and fill the tank up by using your hand and keeping the gas flowing.
    So, you start a thread about this?
    Really?

17. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Holy Crap ! And to thing that a few months ago I had a thread about 1948 Fords being hot rods deleted. Reason sited for deleting the thread was the subject matter wasn't on topic ...or something like that .

18. 117harv

117harv

Mister Rogers has had enough of this thread.

Attached Files:

19. Seriously Doug - I have more than a few older cars that I guaranty you will not be able to fill with out spilling gas with the current nozzles, whether you hold it or not!

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Maybe because the gas inlet in a '34 tank is so wide?
    I put the nozzle in, secure the rubber thing around the neck and once it starts flowing, I tip it a bit to create an air gap to one side without shutting off the gas nozzle...no problem.
    maybe this is the solution for some of you other guys.
    If you are sealing the gas nozzle with that rubber boot and not then cracking open an opening to one side, you might want to try it.
    Works perfect for me...:confused::)

21. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Don't buy a motorcycle...you'll really hate filling it!

22. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad you said that because that is where I was going.

23. OLLIN

OLLIN

I hate going to the gas station here in LA because I always get asked for spare change. Haha

24. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Can't pump your own gas in New Germany (Jersey) either. Been that way for as long as I can remember. My first car was a self-built restored classic, and I can remember driving across the bridge to Easton PA to pump my own gas because I knew I had enough intelligence to handle the task without jacking up my paint job.

25. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Yep, I have the same problem on my wife's '63 T-bird. I hate putting gas in it!

26. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

Ha! Maybe someone at the EPA is a HAMB member (but probably not). :)

EPA to remove vapor-capturing rubber boot from gas pump handles...

27. I worked in a gas station in Middletown KY when I was in seminary in Louisville in the mid '70s, when lots of mid-'60s cars were still on the road. I always hated to see '64-'65 Chevelles come in (we pumped the gas). With the filler behind the tag, they were a pain to put gas in even with regular old pumps, not enough downhill slope from the filler to the tank, they would always spit back on you. MY '38 Ford pickup is a pain to put gas in, too. You have to stand there and hold the nozzle and pump slow or it'll spit back on you. Doesn't matter what kind of pump.

28. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

Thanks for the tip. Pulling back the rubber boot on the nozzle and pumping gas slowly is the only way I can do it to prevent spilling.

[​IMG]

29. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

we can pump our own gas in CT but most stations around have those nozzels. Spills gas all over the side of the '50 and my restored Jeep everytime....grrrrr. we've resulted to pumping at a snails pace. it works...most of the time.

30. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Thats the reason I fill up at the California border and if I'm lucky I don't need to stop till I get across the state to Washington. Got to love the jobs issue in Oregon. I do have to say, the stations around Grants Pass are very understanding of our cars and is the only place I will ever stop if I have to.