Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mustang Radiator in a '28 '29 Ford "A"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, May 1, 2012.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Lots of talk lately of putting a '65 '66 Mustang radiator in a '28 '29 Model "A" grill shell. Anyone have a straight on front pic of this set up? Staying away from the high end radiator makers I have searched the Net and Ebay for a replacements only to be told that the widest I can get is a 17 1/4" core. The '28 '29 grill shell is 19 3/8" so there's going to be a "void" on each side that will be unsightly and not taking advantage of the full space width wize. Any pic's or solid listings or part numbers? Thanks

2. Fenders

Fenders

Maybe you could "build out" the sides with 1/8" strap steel ?

3. kdorfner

kdorfner

I have a 65 mustang radiator in my Model A. I got one on ebay for $160.00 and fabbed two 16 gauge 90 degree brackets to mount grill to radiator with a flange
    on the bottom to mount to the frame. Welded expanded metal to the grill
    opening.

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I believe when you add the side mounting brackets the over all width will be close.. Check out Ford 5000 tractor radiator on regular eBay(not motors).. Buy removing the top fill(use remote fill) it fits very well in 28-29 shell.. I run one on my coupe.. About $250 and looks like old stock Ford radiators and they are brass and copper.....

5. Here's mine. I had to weld in a piece of perforated steel to fill the gaps. It's a great radiator, cools my flathead no problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Black Primer

Black Primer

My experience with the ford 5000 radiator was not good. It wouldn't handle my sbc and ended up getting it re-cored $$.

The tractor radiator is fine for its intended purpose, which is cooling a 70 hp tractor engine. When it comes to a 300 hp v8, not so much. JMO

I'm currently building a 29 A, and I won't even consider one.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  7. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Is the 28/29 shell much different than the 30/31 shell? I have a 29 coupe, but have only had a 30, and now a 31 shell.

Here is a photo of it mounted in the 30 shell (a cut down shell).

[​IMG]

It does a really good job of keeping the SBC cool by the way.

I ended up putting some expanded metal in front to hide the radiator later one.

[​IMG]

8. Old Guy

Old Guy

They aren't bad if you run a hood, but in a hoodless car they look like crap because they leave a big gap between the square radiator top and the round grill shell.
    I bought a generic aluminum radiator from speedway that fit the dimensions of my 4" sectioned 28 shell and made a rounded top tank that fit the profile of the shell.
    Don't have a good picture or I would post one.

9. Just a thought, but I would size the radiator to the engine first. You did not mention what engine you will be using. Remember copper radiators cool almost twice what an aluminum radiator will cool.

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Half the problem I have with the HAMB is wording my questions properly which I apologize for so I will re-word it!
    Radiator is for a '29 Ford 2 dr. sedan running a SBC. First choice is a radiator that fills up the '29 shell with fins side to side, top to bottom. No top or bottom tank showing, no daylight on the sides. So is there an aftermarket radiator that will do that besides the Walker or Griffin in the $200 - $300 range?

11. Gwinn2932

Gwinn2932

The top tank showed on mine. I dont have a pic handy but from experience, I would get one that is made for that shell. Ive since sold the car but in the end wish I had just waited and saved a few more bills for a walker or griffith. I had a flatty so had to get it modified. It just really didnt look the part. Cooled good and the price was right, but it just wasnt right. You'll be way happier with a better fitting radiator.