Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Ehdubya, thanks for the photo reference.
    (Pete never mentioned the event in his book so I imagine he didn't set a new record)
    You guys are terrific. And all the way from NZ to boot. :>)

Speaking of Kiwis, (my first encounter) the wife and I back in Nov 86? once spent a few days on a tiny island (no bigger than a football field) in The Yasawa Group off the West Coast of Fiji. There were about 15 small shoreline burres and a clubhouse and things were pretty sedate until one morning a longboat appeared having set off from a newly anchored 3 master and with the noise and hub bub of a pirate invasion 18 Kiwis descended upon Treasure Island. Non-stop fun loving imbibing ensued until we left our energetic new friends, a few of which told us they were on the way to California for Turkey Night at Ascot and points beyond.

2. gearguy

gearguy

Anyone familar with the "Classic Cars in Profile" series? Today's estate sale find was a three volume set of books by Doubleday from 1967/68. Originally published in 1966 by Profile Publications Ltd. of Leatherhead, Surrey they cover 72 famous cars, both road and racing. Profile #1 is the 1908 and 1914 GP Mercedes; #10 is the Type 35 GP Bugatti. The books are in great shape and have many nice photos, charts, and line drawings.

Hopefully I'll learn a few things to enhance my already considerable enjoyment of this thread.

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

3. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

Nice find!

4. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

BTT

So nobody knows who any of the others are?

1) ?
    2) ?
    3) ?
    4) ?
    5) ?
    6) PETER DEPAOLO
    7) ?
    8) ?
    9) G. H. MACK? (NAME ON CERTIFICATE)
    10) ?
    11) ?
    12) ?
    13) ?
    14) T. E. 'POP' MYERS
    15) ?
    16) ?
    17) ?
    18) ?
    19) ?
    20) ?
    21) ?
    22) WILBUR SHAW
    23) ?
    24) ED WINTERGUST
    25) ?
    26) ?
    27) EDDIE RICKENBACKER
    28) ?
    29) ?
    30) ?
    31) ?
    32) ?
    33) ?
    34) ?
    35) HARRY HARTZ
    36) ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I thought long and hard about who the person you were refering to could be whilst I waited patiently for the book to arrive on my door step. The first name to pop up in my head was Freddie Dixon but he wasn't famous for anything else but motorcycles during the 1920s. An image of Kaye Don was floating around my noggin for a few days but, again, he was also a racer on liquid in the next decade and you didn't mention anything of the sort. Who could it be i wondered, maybe Bert Denly or what about W.D Marchant until i finally settled on the latter. Well, the book finally arrived and as i read the contents i noticed the Indian Team was on page 26 and that's when i realised i had everything wrong. The exact same image of the team with W.O. Bentley as a member is also in the April 1910 issue of The Motorcycle so it's quite possible that it derives from the magazine's archive and not the author.

6. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

That book also has the only picture I've ever seen of Miss Shilling. Are you aware of the story of Miss_Shilling's_orifice? :D

7. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

8. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Frank Lockhart the famous American Racer who won the Indianapolis 500 in only his third year of racing died 84 years ago today, trying to set a LSR record On Daytona Beach. Racemaker Press has chosen today to roll out their new book on the star that has been years in the making.

Stop by TheOldMotor.com to see many more photos and a full review.

[​IMG]

9. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Maybe the book Negative Gravity: A Life Of Beatrice Shilling tells why she is almost always referred to as Miss Shiiling and not Mrs Naylor after her marriage to fellow Brooklands competitor and former pilot George Naylor. I decided against buying the book when i saw it in an issue of Aeroplane Monthly for the simple fact that the magazine has covered the story of the shortcomings of the Merlin engine and if you pick up any good book about the Spitfire there is certain to be a reference to Shilling. My library is full of books on the Spit and quite frankly i don't want to see another of those darn things anymore. Give me an Avro any day.

10. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Let's see how many of these faces can be identified.The picture was taken about 1980.There is one man that fits the thread criteria.The rest are greats later in history.Larry Crane image.

Attached Files:

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^ Looks like Rene Dreyfus in the center. Bob

12. #31=Jeremy Clarkson from top gear. he is older than i thought.

13. First two on the left look like Jack Brabham & Stirling Moss.

14. psalt

psalt
    from nyc

Stirling Moss, Innes Ireland, Juan Manuel Fangio, Phil Hill, Dan Gurney and the Bee Gees.

15. How many racing drivers can you get to sit on a Bugatti ? :)

16. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

left to right -> Jack Brabham,Stirling moss,Innes Ireland,Jaun Fangio,Richie Ginther,Rene Dreyfus,Phil Hill,Dan Gurney,Caroll Shelby,Maurice Trintgant.

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Thanks to Larry Crane .... I look at these guys every day over my desk

He was the right guy in the right place

18. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Yes it was quite an assemblage of individuals!

19. psalt

psalt
    from nyc

Maurice was the last person to drive a Bugatti in an F1 race. Ten years in F1, +80 starts, won Monaco twice, LeMans and lived well into his 80's. I did not recognize Caroll Shelby with that hat. He is currently only second behind Dick Cheney in heart procedures, and he may wind up finishing first.

20. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

This little car appears to have been manufactured as it has a channel frame of riveted construction. As to the power plant a guess
    would be that it has a small one lunger. For the controls, it had one lever and one pedal and a hand throttle on the steering column.
    The rest of it is patterned after after the typical speed cars of the day with a radiator that looks like a Blitzen Benz. Who ever owned this car (the photo was found in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area) must have been the envy of the town at the time.

We have three more enlargements of it at theoldmotor.com , take a look at them as it is a beautifully built liitle car.

21. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

This looks very much like the Bobby Sheldon car at the Fountainhead Museum.

22. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Here are pictures of the Bobby Sheldon car at the Fountainhead Antique Car Museum ( http://www.fountainheadmuseum.com/ ) in Fairbanks,Alaska.The car was built in 1905 with a single cylinder marine engine.Mostly by hand.The tiller was built using plumbing fittings.The seat is actually 2 chairs from a bar in Skagway.

Attached Files:

23. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

The other Bira ERA for my friend Fur Biscuit.VSCC Curborough Meet.G
    raham Little Image.

24. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Scaldwell's V-8 GN. Graham Little image.

Driver: Anne Berrisford

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  25. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Sorry, I know nothing about the car or location.

Attached Files:

• 16.JPG
      16.JPG
      File size:
      92.7 KB
      Views:
  26. Manel

Manel
    from Catalonia

...at the Long Beach Vintage Grand Prix, 1976.

27. Manel

Manel
    from Catalonia

..at the Long Beach Vintage Grand Prix, 1976

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

1976 LBGP... I was at that race! No doubt my invitation to the party was lost in transit. Gary

29. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  30. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Thanks for the link.
    re: The #15 Boyle Valve Spl driven by Cliff W.-Last year Indyrjc sent me that 2min clip and the following discussion took place:
    Be sure and refer to Michael Ferner's post #3:
    http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sh...t-23-1928-Cliff-Woodbury-Wins&highlight=boyle

I own the #15 Miller Boyle Valve Special Tribute Car and last year at the Millers at Milw Event had the honor of having Michael Boyle's Grandson and Michael Ferner behind the wheel.
    [​IMG]