Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 3100 daily driver build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sqrlnts, Mar 15, 2012.

1. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Your truck is coming out great, keep it up. I pie cut the hood on my 59 chevy truck too. There are pix of the build in my profile.

2. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

A better option would be to use the crossmember end attach pieces from a front mount assembly. You might be able to swap out those end pieces with the other type (see below) from wherever you got them

Yours
    [​IMG]

Front attach ends
    [​IMG]

The other ends with 4 bolts at the center of the rail would be much stronger than 2 bolts on the edge of the rail. Adding spacers to set the height/level would weaken it more. You would also have more mounting adjustibility.
    My trans crossmember has the flat 4-bolt ends

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  3. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Also, if you use the flat 4 bolt ends, it looks like they will rest inside the frame rail channel (no spacers). I added a yellow reference mark to your photo (it's the same height)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  4. azsnow

azsnow

Hey does your truck have the original automatic shifter, or is that a 3 on the tree setup? I'm in Chandler as well, but working on a 55 Cameo.

5. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

So is that you're truck on Phx craigslist? Nice truck. I think he has a later auto trans. But he should chime in soon on what it is.

6. azsnow

azsnow

Yes it is, I don't want to sell, but need the cash at this point. I work on it everyday, so as soon is it is on the road, of course price will go up as well. I was actually refering to his opening pics, looks as if he has a factory auto shifter...I am running a quicksilver and 700r4, but would love to have it on the column if possible.

I also have an extra steering column and other misc parts if anyone is looking for anything, lmk and maybe we can work something out.

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Can the mounts on the end of that cross member be rotated 180 degrees, to allow them to bolt to the bottom flange of the frame?

8. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

It was originally a 3 speed on the tree, its going to be an auto.

I did try every possibly way I could think of but it wouldn't just slide in place. I think tjet has the idea with using different feet BUT, I like to do things the difficult way. I am cutting spacers from 1 3/4" tubing and will box the bolts that go through it and then the ends to help support things. Hopefully my trans doesn't fall out on the freeway.

9. tobiism

tobiism

If its anything like the firewood it won't make it to the street!

10. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Yeti, thanks. your truck is amazing. Wish I had those body skills.

Just some side info on possibly putting a rear sway bar in for CHEAP!

11. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Tobias, your an EVIL GENIUS, the welder is fixed!!! I feel like welding up everything tonight!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. tobiism

tobiism

Nice!!! Glad I could help!

13. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Cleaned up the gas tank and a little more mock up on it. Does anyone know the measurements for the bed cross sills? I think there are three between the cab and rear axle, one between the axle and the rear of the bed, then the rear bed mount to the frame. I should have marked them on the frame before removing them.

I am thinking of running a rubber fill hose to the bed side so I don't have the fuel tank cap in the middle of the bed floor. I foresee tank fueling problems due to the length and small ID of the hose which would run under the bed then to the bedside. Any thoughts?

Found a bad HEI coil. Ordered cap, rotor, pickup, coil, coil strap, and condensor just to make sense of the shipping charge. Funny thing is I purchased all this with shipping from Rock Auto for less than my local Autozone wanted for just the coil. I guess employees, lights and buildings are expensive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. squirrel

squirrel

I have a bed I can measure in the morning

15. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Jim to the rescue! Thanks, there are too many damn holes in this frame!!!

16. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

17. squirrel

squirrel

front sill to second sill = 24-3/8"
    front sill to third sill = 51-1/4"

I can't really measure the distance to the rear sill, since the "bed" I'm measuring is decayed quite a bit. Also I'm not 100% sure that it's from a 50s truck, it could be from the 60s, so if the numbers don't work, sorry!

18. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

His setup is really clean looking.

Thanks Jim!

19. 1959apache

1959apache

Would you want a picture? Check out my build thread. I have a ton of them on there of my bed with the sills in the right place

20. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

That could help apache, lets see.

I got distracted tonight and was strong armed into making a portable shitter for my wifes sweet ass. Here it is in all its bucketless glory. My neighbor Karl says its approved for puking as well, so it pulls double duty in this particular application.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

In some variation/reversion of this truck I want to be the guy who ruins an entire Hot Rod Power Tour. End pipe dream.

22. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Ruins or runs?

Summit has these BTW

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  23. 1959apache

1959apache

HA! those are going in my home asap.

Did you have a chance to look at my thread?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447466&page=32

Page 28 give or take 2 pages should give you your answer. I do have other pictures of the bed going back together a lot earlier too, but you get the picture.

24. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

I did peek your thread but did not find the pics. It could have something to do with the half a million beers I tried to drink last night. I gotta go see what I "fixed" on the truck last night.

25. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Holy shit it looks like a bomb went off in my garage. I think there is one screwdriver and one wrench left in my tool box.

Started making some patch panels from a spare fender I had. Got the old gas door filled, and some larger holes in the cab done.

Painted the gas tank, just need to cut the straps to fit.

Installed the 4" drop axle. WOW its lower. I need to replace all my U-bolts cause I only have three springs in at the moment and they are way too long. May add some springs back we will see.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the stock height axle and a full spring pack

[​IMG]

drop axle with 3 springs!!!

[​IMG]

26. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Just for shits and grins with my scrapper fender

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Cool man, looking good. What are you going to do for paint?

28. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Thank you. I don't exactly know what is going to happen with paint. The wife wants an old muted army green color, which should intidicate the direction I am leaning.

29. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I felt the same once I got my axle in. I only pulled 1 leaf on each side (the one without the clamps)

Does your new steering tie rod clear the springs?

30. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

ITS ALIVE!! Finally the HEI components arrived! I got so lucky with the rebuilt, I literally stabbed the dist and didn't have to move it. I am so glad this $350 engine runs. I couldn't resist running it with open headers. Next is the transmission.

TJET, the steering arm does clear, not sure its enough at this point, would like to see a little more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TTOG0kFYcY&feature=youtu.be