Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need longer studs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rathbone, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Rathbone

Rathbone

I finally found a vintage Sun tach that still works! The old cup is rusty and I want to put it into a new one (the red, white, and blue one). As you can see from the photo the red, white, and blue one is deeper so the studs won't reach through the cup. Not even close. I need to extend the studs through the deeper cup and have enough remaining that I can fit acorn nuts onto them.

How can I extend the studs without screwing up a vintage tach? I don't suppose there are extensions I can screw onto them.

[​IMG]

2. F&J

F&J

Quick?

Take a bolt that has the same thread you need for the acorns, and is long enough. Now take a nut that can fit the old stud and tackweld it to the head of the new bolt.

Tacks on the side so you don't ruin the threads in the nut.

3. Pro Shifted

Pro Shifted

4. Willy301

Willy301

At the hardware store, they sell the "nuts" that are about 1/2 to 3/4 long, you can get some threaded rod and install those nuts, and put new studs out of them with the threaded rod. You can cut the nuts down a little, if needed.

5. Old Guy

Old Guy

Go to an electronics supply store and get some aluminum hex standoffs. They make them in various lengths and thread sizes. I doubt if they have them at RadioShack, nothin but a glorified cellphone store. Probably have to go to a real electronics place if they have one in your local.
    Just searched on E Bay theres a ton of them.

6. x2!:d

7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"coupler nuts" should be at any decent hardware store

8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

About $2.50 each from McMaster-Carr , zinc plated steel