Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can I wet sand a sealer coat of epoxy primer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sixtysicks, Apr 30, 2012.

1. sixtysicks

sixtysicks

I sprayed some epoxy primer then a seal coat over the weekend. There are a couple spots that sprayed a little rough for what ever reason. I am not a painter! Would I be able to wet sand these areas without screwing up the sealer coat? It is KustomShop epoxy and the vehicle is going to be ran this way for atleast the next year before I will get to body work and actual paint. Thanks in advance for any input! -Brandon

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

According to the 'sheets' for most PPG epoxy sealers, it sez: "sand after one week before applying another coat or top coating." So, not knowing 100% sure, I'd say yes.

Give it a minnit or two, REAL painters will chime in...

R-

3. 383 240z

383 240z

I sand the epoxy primer that i seal bare metal with. I dont see any reason why you cant. Keith

4. bobscogin

bobscogin

If you're going to run it in primer for a year before top coating, you're probably going to have to re-prime anyway. Sand away.

Bob

5. LeaveItToBeaver

LeaveItToBeaver
    from Ennis, TX

I agree with 40StudeDude. PPG does recommend sanding after a certain period of time, so I see no reason you can't knock down the rough areas. Just don't get too aggressive and sand through the sealer coat.

6. oldcootnco

oldcootnco

I don't see a problem. Over the years I 've been fortunate to attend a few factory paint schools, seminars,PPG, Sherwin williams, Nexa(used to be ICI auto color) and Sikens. The product you are using, by this time, has cured enough to sand and recoat. If you bought your product locally the jobber should have the info or check online. Just my two cents.

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

Sure. Why not?

8. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Id say yes, with ample time. Id start with 400 and see i that smooths out the rough areas.

9. fastfrankie73

fastfrankie73

You can sand it but it will show the sand scratches if you don't recoat it, but if you sprayed the same epoxy under the seal coat(just thicker) you will still have the same protection.

10. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I sprayed some epoxy on Friday, then attempted to scuff it on Saturday so I could get rid of some runs and make some tooth for filler. What a cluster fuck that turned out to be, it was instantly clogging the paper. The epoxy primer I used tech sheet said cures in 45minutes, I waited about 20 hours before I sanded.

I too thought about wet sanding the car before applying my 2k high build primer, gotta find a way to stop clogging the paper...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  11. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Got a lot to learn, kid. You hide all those boogers with pinstriping.

12. Epoxy primer is always gummy, PPG has a new high build primer that eliminates the epoxy coat but you pay for it dearly.

13. sixtysicks

sixtysicks

Cool. Yea Ive heard the horrors of the paper clogging also. Im definitely priming over it because I still have some filler work and what not before final paint. I was just mainly concerned about the seal coat and weather. Thanks for the input guys. It doesnt need to be perfect, but I figured I could just make it look a little better. It looks more like satin paint than primer!

14. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

why wet sand? i'm doing the same thing right now useing tcp global red oxide epoxy, and sanded the next day without much paper clogging. i dont like to wet sand on such a early coat, you could burn thru, and then you got wet metal. this stuff drops to the floor like powder when you sand it. i have a air hose next to me to blow out the sand paper, or i tap the paper with a 1/4'' round file to keep it clean.

15. 383 240z

383 240z

I found that if I waited 4-5 days then sanded the epoxy primer, I was not having the gumming issues, sanded pretty nice. Keith

16. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

I add a drop or two of joy dishwashing liquid to my water, keeps the gumming up to a minimum.