Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 5 Window Garage Find .... 80's retro, Never finished, Need a Plan ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FalconMan, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Jim P

Jim P
    from Tyler, TX

Keep rolling the direction it was going. 16" paint wires and enjoy. Great looking car.

2. spiders web

spiders web

Great looking car but if you put a bowtie in it you might as well get some plastic surgery so you can not only be like everyone else but also look like everyone else. Get a flattie with three carbs, maybe a 371 blower and a four speed. There is so much cool stuff out there and putting a 350/350 shows you only have taste in your mouth.

3. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

I sorta dig the paint.
    If it were mine- Steelies to match the light green, Big n Littles.
    I wouldn't worry about the interior much, its not terrible (for now)
    no fenders
    If you run the hood, SBC is fine. (for now)

I'd get it on the road, enjoy the snot out of it, and collect parts for a "more traditional" conversion down the road.

Amazing score.

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Almost exactly what I was thinking. 'Glass or not, I'd keep the fenders.

And I really like the green.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I haven't yet recieved your payment for the Hamb Deuce Club Dues...just sayin'...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. One Finger John

One Finger John

Like to see it but all I am getting are blue question marks. What happened?

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Been doing deuces for over 40 years and never even had a smell at something that nice in my area???

8. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Unbelievable find. That is nice. Now just a little re-doing to make it yours. Listen to you, not how every one else wants you to build it.

9. alchemy

alchemy

Those don't look like Tru-Spokes, they look like real knockoff Daytons to me.

Nice car to start with. When you chop it put some drip rails back on.

10. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I agree 100%.
    Tom

11. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

No it was not cheap at all, contrary to what some might think... I got a good deal, not the deal of a lifetime. At the end of the day, both her and I were very happy.

The car was not advertised. It belonged to the grandpa of my nephew's friend. Timing/luck is everything. He had died several years ago and they were just getting around to dealing with the cars he had. The grandson was lucky enough to end up with a couple cool cars himself.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SBC? Kool! Beats the hell outta 3X the cost for a full house blown flathead. I might consider an OD trans, but hey it's yours so go for it. I'm on the fence about the colors. I like greens but those are, well, you already know. I hear ya on the glass fenders. It's like having to settle for drive-through fast food when you're really hungry. I can't knock anything in the car you didn't already, but I might be inclined to hang on to those wheels for a while. If not for this, maybe some day down the road...

FWIW, I like the idea of fenderless and no rumble seat. If you keep the colors, lose the interior, and maybe something unique in the wheel/tire dept. Steelies are always a good choice, but also becoming really popular. Maybe some period full wheel covers and fat whites. You asked...

13. Most guys start with a pile of rust and hope to get to where you are, Good score!

14. titus

titus

It was cheap you liar!!:)

I wouldnt touch a thing! id put it together and use it as is, its so outdated its cool, and the term is resto rod Doug!

I personally like the interior, alot. i like the whole car, i quess i get that from reading all my dads street rodder magazines from the 70s when the resto rod thing was in.

JEFF

15. farmboyhotrodder

farmboyhotrodder
    from PA

I wouldn't chop it. If you want a choppded top car, sell this one off and buy a chopped 5-window body. Otherwise, build it and drive it.

16. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

It has a similar style to Ed Belkengrens old green & black 32 5w.....the one that was in the GSTA this year.

I'd bolt it together, and drive it as is, then change it a little at a time. Keeps the number of project cars you have down at least a little!! :)
    Maybe put some American TTO's on it to give it to give it a later 60's vibe.

Time to come up with a new nickname, Doug...the Falcons seem to be getting squeezed from the nest!!

17. S.F.

S.F.

assemble with different wheels (steelies and blackwalls)....remove interior and place in 1992 Astro van.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

interiors kind of goofy, but really that would not be a bad looking car put back together with the spokes and out of date interior. nice colors.

19. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I like it!!........Drop a motor and trans in it and enjoy it, I think the paint and interior is cool looking. You do not see cars built like this anymore, this was done in a 70's style when street rods (hot rods) were bad ass, long before bare steel and rust holes were cool. finishing that car the way it is would get you my respect, (not like that means anything) Or strip it down to No interior, Flat black paint, and wide whites and be like every other cookie cutter car at the cruise nights...Just my 2 cents

20. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I guess I would e the only guy to leave it as is for awhile it looks like 1981 again!!! cool car regardless..

21. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

assemble and drive it-----------------

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, put a good running engine and trans in it, put it together and drive it. The wheel change is a must but the glass fenders don't bother me as they yell DRIVER and not a prissy show car that one is afraid to drive. I'd probably just work on wearing out the interior but there is probably a street rodder out there going nuts over it right now and chomping at the bit to make an offer on the seats and door panels and other fabric pieces.

Personally I like the green as I am getting rather tired of seeing seas of black cars at rod trots screaming that "my owner has no frigging imagination and doesn't he know that all of those "black" cars in the black and white pages of the magazines of the 50's weren't black?"

23. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Jeff.. it was late last night .... I stand corrected 'restro' :)

The interior is growing on me. My wife loves the paint, which is a plus. She normally does not like the paint on any of the cars I have/had.....

Chopping the car is out of the question for now unless I were to start from scratch. As it sits, I have 1 inch of head room. I would have to drop the seat and push it back, which makes the rumble totally unusable. Like you said, sell it and buy what I want instead. I will be scrounging the parts I need this summer and more than likely be asking you for advise !

Thanks again for going to look at it with me !

24. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Put it together as is for now ,drive it ,and don't forget to put a big smile on your face while driving.

25. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

The interior is a little to much, but I would run it till I had something better. The green is kinda cool to. Cool car. Even it is too retro, it's way nice already than anything I own.

26. Bull

Bull

It really does have a cool 70's resto rod vibe. You stole it . . . and I'm glad you decided to pull the trigger on it, because it kept me outta a whole heap of trouble with my wife!

I see having 3 sets of wheels & tires for the car -- each of which would give ti a very distinct look.

Set 1: Keep the True Spokes and radials that are on it.
    Set 2: Old American mags in 15" with big & little radials.
    Set 3: 15" steelies in black with simple Ford caps or baby moons with bias-ply blackwalls.

Keep the fiberglass fenders. You have them, they fit, they're shiny. Done.

Change the gauges to old SW's and add an engine turned panel.

If it were a keeper, I could see a possible re-do on the interior to all black tuck & roll by stichbitch.

You should pick up some Street Rodder mags from the 70's. This car looks like it jumped right off the pages!

Can't wait to help you spend some money on it. ;)

27. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Nice score! Assemble it, drive it, and let the car develop over the summer. The modifications will come to you over time. And, smile a lot!

28. slowmotion

slowmotion

Nothin' wrong with plugging in a SBC, a wheel/tire combo of your choice, getting the stance right, & drivin' that sumbich...great score!

29. tinmann

tinmann

All I've got are blue squares with question marks in them. Why can't I see the pics???????

30. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Congrats! I love it....garish 1970's van interior and all!! It ROCKS!!