Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cache of Packards in the middle of downtown Lawrence KS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigMikeC, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigMikeC

BigMikeC

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

The city says they may have SOME value? Hope the owner doesn't get ripped off by the city.

3. aircap

aircap

Mmmmm... someone should grab a couple.

4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"Determining how to deal with the houses and sheds on the property may end up being a larger issue than ordering the old cars to be removed. The house, even though it is in bad need of repair, is still considered a “contributing structure” to the North Rhode Island Residential Historic District. As a result, the city’s Historic Resources Commission will consider the future of the property at its April meeting."

How ironic that the historic building commision (like in most cities) rules the ultimate fate of the home while the Packards have no representation.

I think its cool that the ol Packard dealer held on to his beloved Packards til the end. Packard fans are dyed in the wool fathful.
    Hope some faithful car folks will be present to outbid the scrappers at the probable auction.

5. I like how they've been sitting there for 50+ years without bothering anyone, but now cleaning that up is suddenly a "significant issue."

6. Normbc9

Normbc9

The best ambulances our Fire Dept. ever owned and operated were 1953 Henney body units with a straight flat head eight, dual carburetors and a split exhaust manifold. All served for well over 100,000. miles. The Ultra-Matic transmission was a great performer too!
    Normbc9

7. BigMikeC

BigMikeC

Anyone going to the swap meet at the Lawrence 4-H fairgrounds this weekend?

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there is most likely a big dollar developer interested in the property. the city gets a lot more revenue if something is built there rather than just some old unused building.

bunch of crap... even though the owners don't seem to give a shit about any of it.

edit: just went and Google mapped it. can't see anything from the street, or even from the satelite view, just an old house with lots of trees. it is directly across from the police department. I bet they need a new parking lot.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  9. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

It appears there's a fence all around the property, but it is in a mostly residential area.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. the owner died, house in state of disrepair, son doesn't communicate, probably doesnt care.

Go get em if you want them

11. slammed58buick

slammed58buick

I am going to have to go over there and have a look. I drive around Lawrence all the time and had no idea. I would love to have one of those, that is for dang sure.

12. JamesMcD

JamesMcD

One of us should tell the city that he will clean up the property for free.

13. BS. Charge them handsomely like any professional would.
    The absolutely most profitable part is demo and clean up.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

where did all the leaves go? the trees were full of leaves in the google pics I saw. you couldn't see anything, not even the house.

15. bluthndr

bluthndr

Amen. Locally here, the city PAID some scrappers to basically come out and SCRAP the contents of a large, defunct, paper mill. No doubt they were grinning the entire time they ran the cranes and torches.

16. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

My bet is the Dentist on the second floor of Rhode Island and 11th got tired of looking at them from his office.

17. 49ratfink - FYI ... The winter-time "Bird's Eye" pic that stuart in mn posted is from Bing maps (Microsoft's answer to Google).

18. slammed58buick

slammed58buick

I'm going to go look through the fence tomorrow on my way to KC.

19. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you can tell by all the yuppified houses around the yard that someone finally noticed and bitched about "decreased property values"

20. slammed58buick

slammed58buick

Went by there Tuesday afternoon and I can't believe those are all in there. It is hard to see with the fence and over grown bushes, but you can get in just the right spots and see some of the cars. What surprised me even more is, I have driven down that street multiple times, I have even parked on that street, and there was a car show one block from it late last year. Just goes to show sometimes things can be right and front of your face, all you need to do is look harder. I can say from going there now that it is not like it is in a yuppified neighborhood or anything like that. A lot of the house's and properties right around it aren't much better. We are staying on top of it and if anything develops we will let you all know.

21. oj

oj

The real issue is that the property has predated any of the current zoning standards. The cars, buildings and property were there long before the county commisioners need to do something about them. They claim to have the 'right' to declare the property 'unfit' and order its' demolition. But whos' standards are they enforcing? the property might be unsightly, needs repairs etc but to order destruction/demolition because some committee has high public standards makes me think of other peoples' high public standards that herded jews into relocation camps. Goverment has gotten out of hand and it is getting worse everyday.
    My rant, if it offends you go fuck yourself government and all.

22. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

This doesn't offend me one bit. I totally agree. Unfortunately, too many Americans have no idea how many of their freedoms and liberties that they have lost to the government.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  23. ha!

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Then call or email them and tell them how you feel and what they should do. The story in the OP's post sounds like they could use some guidance.

Comparing this to the atrocities of Nazi Germany is very disrespectful to those who suffered those atrocities. These are old, abandoned buildings and cars. NOT people.

25. I used to live a few houses to the south from Ray on Rhode Island in the 80s and 90s and had my share of cars in the back yard without any real hassle. Ray kept to himself pretty well and it was pretty clear he wasn't interested in moving the cars in his yard etc. Since I left Lawrence, the City's attitude towards cleaning up "East" Lawrence has changed a lot.

Oh yeah -- yes I am going to the Lawrence Swap Meet as I have for the past 25+ years.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  26. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

Yes, thanks for asking!

27. metalshapes

metalshapes

I completely agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.