Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Ford Ignition Swtch Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rex1927, Sep 27, 2010.

1. I purchased a 1940 ford steering column with a missing key and switch is locked.
    How can I remove ignition switch with as little damage to column as possible?
    Do I try to bore it out?
    Going to use a switch in dash on my car.
    Just need it out so steering shaft will turn.
    I did not know ford had locking steering columns in 1940.
    Learn something new every day.
    thanks

fivefour likes this.
  2. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

if you can get a locksmith to unlock then you would be good

3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

It seems like there was just a post on fordbarn.com by Dick Spadaro showing exactly how. Seems like it was originally posted on here.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Spadaro posted pics recently. Basically, look at the casting below the lock cylinder...you will see a pin driven in there. Drillit...best way is small hole, tap for a screw to pull it out, some people just kill it with a drill. It is very roughly 1/4" deep...if you see brass coming out, you are a bit too deep! Once pin is out you can pull the cylinder. Key code is stamped on it, so go find the oldest guy at the oldes lock smithery around and get it made.
    If you were working from a complete '40 first step would have been to pull the door lock. If original, it would carry same number and it comes out with just a single set screw.

5. garcoal

garcoal

got to ask a question why does your 1940 steering column have a key switch in it. they didnt put the key switch in the column till late 60s to early 70s. your key switch should be in the dash board. are you putting a newer column in your car. if its out and loose take it to a lock smith and have a key made

6. Special Ed

Special Ed

I believe Ford started putting the key lock on the column in '32...:cool:

[​IMG]

7. Guess I should have stated this at start.I bought this 1940 ford column to put in my 1927 2 door sedan.Ignition switch is in dash of my car.I bought this because it was a good price and was told it would work for side steering with pittman arm up.I had no idea they were locking columns.Just need lock out so steering shaft will turn.Sorry for any confusion guys.It was my fault.

8. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

The key only locks and unlocks the column, correct? The switch to the right (in that picture above) is how you turn the ignition on & off, I don't really know. And is it the same though '48?

9. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

It's always re-assuring to get the straight "scoop" from a guy that knows what he's talkin' about. DD[​IMG]

eddie_zapien likes this.
  10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

11. leebros60

leebros60
    from new jersey

garcoal you are just a few years off, just a few.

12. Cut him some slack. He works at a Kenworth dealer and is in a British car club and drives a '66 T-Bird. With all that going on, he may be a little confused.:rolleyes:

13. Thanks for the information guys.
    You always come through when I need help.I am ready to tackle it now.
    Thanks again,rex

14. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

garcoal huh?....another "Know nothing Know it all".

15. How timely. Today I was looking over my extra 40 column that didn't sell at the swap meet. The lever is in the "off" position with no key...looks like someone tried to screwdriver it but when I turned it over the pin was gone already. How convenient for me. Tomorrow I attack the project. Thanks, Dick.

16. navypainter

navypainter

What happens when you break the tap off in the hole you just drilled???:confused:

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Take it to a place that does EDM - Electric Discharge Machining.

18. navypainter

navypainter

Thanks for the info but I think I might drill the lock, heat the pin and push it out unless anyone objects to that. I don't see how it would hurt anything but then again I've never worked on a 40 ford column before.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  19. greazy john

greazy john

i thought all 40 columns came with tilt ?? LOL

20. navypainter

navypainter

Drilled the s#!t out if the ignition switch today. Brass flying everywhere! Got it out in just a few minutes. Problem solved :)

21. Great! I actually found the key for mine and it's going into my 34 ford coupe.