Register now to get rid of these ads!

MEL Hilborn NEW!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, Apr 26, 2012.

1. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

So, I was talking with Andy at Hilborn today, and he tells me if I can sell 5 units, they'll cast them up and make them NEW. I need one, and my buddy Mike needs one. So if 3 (three) people on here are interested in having a NEW Hilborn Injector for their 383-410-430-462 MEL motor, let me know!!!!

Andy is going to get me a price for MECHANICAL and ELECTRONIC. I'm guessing the mechanical will be somewhere around $2500 or so. Don't quote me, but I'm sure it'll be somewhere like that.

If someone is a member on the FORD-MEL-ENGINE forum, please let those guys know too.

Awesome that they still have the molds!!!!

2. Isn't Beep a MEL guy? Might ask him.

3. rld14

rld14

I'm on the MEL forum, I'll forward this thread. Thanks!

Edited to add too bad they won't fit under the hood of my Lincoln :(

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  4. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Awesome!! Thanks guys. Just THREE people, and we'll get NEW injectors!!!

5. Next time you talk to them, see if he has an old Stude pattern laying around.

6. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Why not? It's not corrected like an early HEMI. And you aren't going to want a very tall stack for the street.

Manifold, carb and air cleaner all fit right? ;)

7. rld14

rld14

There's hardly any under hood clearance on these things. I wonder how streetable one would be with short stacks... Probably not very but damn it'd be cool.

8. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Mechanical? Not at all. Electronic, VERY. The GTO we built is electronic, and it's awesome. The throttle response is INSTANTANEOUS and smooth. 18+ MPG doing 80 all the way to Watkins Glen and back to Chicago.

9. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I am interested! Don't quote me but interested.... what are we getting for $2,500?

10. 56ih

56ih

This is badass! Too bad I've already got me an old one...we should find out if Weiand still has the molds for their MEL front cover. I would buy two of them! Or maybe a front cover and a blower manifold

11. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

The complete mechanical injector minus the pump. Remember, that was just a maybe price that Andy quoted me. It should be something quite close to that I would imagine though. But it would all be brand new.

12. JLGrist

JLGrist

I would be interested, but don't have the funds right now. I would be interested if it was an option at a later date. Heck, I don't even have a 430 yet!

13. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

My problem is cash at this moment...:rolleyes:

14. 64sedan

64sedan

Any word on these? I am interested. Thanks

15. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

They will make them at any time. But there has to be six SOLD before they will produce them.

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

17. muddman355

muddman355
    from sydney

Any news on what happened here.? Did they get made or still in the works?

18. PackardV8

PackardV8

Rich Fox said:
    Rich could machine up a SBC Hilborn intake to fit Fred Flintstone's roadster. For the rest of us less talented and less well-equipped, it is pretty hard.

And for those who've never done it, getting the Hilborn intake manifolds mounted on top is the easy part. Finding space for the belt driven pump on the front of a street engine isn't easy and then tuning a Hilborn for the street is a whole nuther story covered here many times.

jack vines

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  19. Did it happen and I missed it?

20. DylanO

DylanO

Guys, I have one Mel Hilborn unit, but it's totally defective, a real duffer. It sounds like you guys are getting yours from Illinois but mine is from Canada. May explain the duffer problem. Can anyone advise of where I could get it repaired/replaced? Based in Australia, but currently in North India. Either location would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I know this is a really old post. But it popped up today and I reread it. For those who don't know Jack modifies Chrysler RB intake manifolds to go on Packard V8 engines. Contemplating this I thought it would be an almost impossible task to do and would look hacky. Until I saw how he does it. granted, there is some nice work there. But the hard part is coming up with a logical and clean way to do it. My hats off to Jack. I will saw mounting and driving a Hilborn pump is not a really big deal. As you can see from this pump on Packard picture. If anyone really wants injection on a MEL, it's doable with swap meet stuff. img64.JPG