Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Here is an image of Frank Seeger's Demarcay. There is a fabulous video of it on Youtube.I would post the link,except I don't know how to tranfer the hypertext.So,if you want to see it you'll have to go to YouTube and search for

Demarcay von 1922 mit Anzani Motor 1000cm

Attached Files:

2. Dale Davenport

Dale Davenport
    from Arkansas

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  3. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

4. Dale Davenport

Dale Davenport
    from Arkansas

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  5. Dale Davenport

Dale Davenport
    from Arkansas

6. Dale Davenport

Dale Davenport
    from Arkansas

1920 "Cambro" cyclecars:

[​IMG]

7. Fiorano

Fiorano

again these are tremendously cool-
    and a three wheeler today would use the HOV lanes now prob and like squeeze a few lanes at stop lights heh heh

8. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Marc Hendrix with Mme Hendrix and his Vernon Derby.Marc Hendrix image.

Attached Files:

9. Dale Davenport

Dale Davenport
    from Arkansas

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  10. Same as mine - I run the club for the Blackjack Avion.

I've just in the middle of a respray & body off rebuild and have found a supercharger from Nissan March SuperTurbo to go on it. The Citroen engine can be seen in the chassis picture below.

The car is not anywhere near a recreation of a Morgan as suggested in the caption to the photo on Flickr - the styling could not possibly be more different. It's nearer how a three wheeled cyclecar might have been done by a French coachbuilder like Delahaye if they'd had glassfibre back in the 30's!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  11. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

BalckJack,shouldn't the sign on the door read "Parking reserved for the Chester MENTAL Health Council"?

12. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Delahaye was a manufacturer of chassis but I know what you mean, Blackjack. What you're thinking of is the work of Saoutchik, Figoni et Falaschi, etc.

It's a thought I often come back to, how design is influenced by both technique of construction and technique of representation. Modern designers are taught to design from loose to fast, from rough sketch to technical document; they are also taught that a design is good to the extent that the final product looks like a designer's concept rendering. This was not always the case.

Personally I dislike the sort of "shapery" practiced today, that is, for a designer to conceive "shapes" without reference to material or technique, safe in the knowledge that there is a corps of production engineers ready to turn it into a working product, and quite oblivious to the end user's arguable interest in understanding the materials and techniques involved. To me the mark of the designers of the Vintage era lay in their ability to think on several layers at once, artistically, practically, structurally, mechanically. It is visible in the honesty-with-elegance quality of the best of their designs: flat sheetmetal feels like flat sheetmetal because that is how the design was conceived; there is a sort of skin-quality in which the fact that the material is .060" thick is readily intuitable. For that reason there is a sense of appropriateness in the absence of compound curves in the hood of a '20s car, for instance.

13. Dale Davenport

Dale Davenport
    from Arkansas

What Ned said:

Designing, at least in part, with available construction methods as one of the guiding factors. Other mitigating strictures and limits were similarly considered as well.

[​IMG]

14. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Another interesting thing is, given that it is by long-standing convention customary to depict cars in left-side elevation during the design process, and that 70%-90% of designers are presumably right-handed: the shapes that were desired for the parts of a car before c.1970 were not shapes that a right-handed person draws naturally and comfortably in left-side elevation. This was not a problem while coachbuilders came from a craft tradition in which drawing was a means of illustration with no greater concentration of creativity than the processes of abstract conception on one hand, and physical fabrication on the other. That is, the craft-designer uses the techniques of drawing to represent a product already conceived in imagination as a concrete artifact, anticipating further creative processes involved in actually making the thing. It does not matter if the lines do not flow out of the hand: they have already flowed out of the imagination.

By contrast the modern professional designer comes from an academic fine-art (and :eek: marketing) background, in which all the creativity is concentrated in the process of sketching. It is solely this psycho-mystical faith in the power of the scribble, of the doodle, that gave rise to the '70s wedge profile. It is aerodynamically all wrong, certainly, despite the post-rationalization: Kamm tails are quite something else. But the wedge sketches readily; it is easy on the arm. And as the modern designer can conceive no design process except the scribble/doodle/sketch, the modern designer has not been able to kick the wedge habit until direct-to-digital techniques arose; and even thereafter the addiction to bottom-front-to-top-rear lines proves to be thoroughly ingrained.

As with many things the trick is to be able to use both processes interchangeably, so that each may strengthen the other. A designer ought to be able to use scribbles and doodles to clarify thinking, but should be free enough of the glamour and mystique of "high art" as not to require the product to be an expression of the process of sketching, for the sake of somehow marking it as "design".

15. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Roland Bugatti and his Briggs and Stratton Red Bug.The Red Bug ultimately
    influenced the building of the Baby Bugs.These Molsheim built Baby Bugs are at the Beunos Aires Zoo.

16. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Interesting round doors. Any more information on this one?

18. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I will see.If you don't see an explanation,that means I stole the image and there was nothing more with it.

Tom,I loked where I found the image.There wasn't any further explanation.

Bob

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  19. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Bob, you didn't steal the image, you just referred to it by means of a technique which displays the image in the reference to it. Take a look, it's still right there where you found it ...

20. Strangely compelling - looks more like some sort of bathysphere than a car....

21. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Decidely British......

22. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Attached Files:

23. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Interesting bits in the steering linkage of the round door trike.

24. Dale Davenport

Dale Davenport
    from Arkansas

Going through some photos I shot in 2010, I turned up a few that I thought might be worth a drool or two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More "wishbook" photos to come as I crop and size a few more.

25. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I've always liked that motorbike layout, hot rear barrels notwithstanding.

26. Dale Davenport

Dale Davenport
    from Arkansas

Here is a shot of the complete bike - - - its not exactly at the top of my list of all-time great bikes, but
    I'd sure be proud to own one of em all the same:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  27. Dale Davenport

Dale Davenport
    from Arkansas

28. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I see the "Flintstones" on the TV screen,when all the while I was thinking "Jetsons"!

29. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

i didn't even know what the hell a cyclecar was until I opened this thread. I had no idea so many people were into these things...

30. 60 Plymouth

60 Plymouth
    from UK

There's somthing evocative about four wheels and two wooden planks, with a sodding big old air cooled engine strapped to one end and an eccentric madman strapped to the other:

[​IMG]