Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by colorado51, Apr 26, 2012.

1. colorado51

colorado51

Hey guys,

I am in Wyoming for a few days helping my inlaws clean out a warehouse that they own. There is a stock flathead motor (from air cleaner to pan) that has been stored there. It came out a 51 pickup many years ago that had been wrecked. I guess it ran when they pulled it.

So, is this a good motor to pickup, and if so, what would it be worth?

Thanks

2. Master of None

Master of None

Does it turn over by hand? Does it say Mercury on the heads? Got any pictures?

3. colorado51

colorado51

Not sure if it turns over. It is mounted to a pallet and covered with a tarp. I peeked under the tarp a little, but didn't look that close yet. I will get a better look at it tommorow. I think that the trans is still bolted up to it also.

4. Master of None

Master of None

If it has 8BA on the head its also worth grabbing.

5. Na its junk send it to me...............

6. daddio211

daddio211

It probably come out because it wasn't running good (or at all). Still, any flattie is worth saving!

7. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

It's worth getting at scrap price and don't be shocked if it needs crack repairs. You cannot tell until it is properly checked out....even if it is beyond repair it will have lots of good Flattie parts

8. barry wny

barry wny

Yeah git it, 8RT will say so on the heads, bonus if it is a floor shift light duty 78 series trans. If it,s a HD trans still good scrap after keeping the hogshead &rear cover/trans mount, clutch. If it's side shift still good gears, pan will have round clean out plate in the bottom to access the pockup screen

9. i have to agree with daddio any flathead is worth saving/taking/buying. even if you can save the block someone might need parts.

crossing my fingers for pics...

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you would read the post it was pulled out because the truck was wrecked. That would indicate to me that someone years ago thought it was worth saving, It would be even more so now.

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Heh Heh heh.... he said "running when parked", heh.

It's worth anything from $50 to $1000 depending on its internal condition. Go figure.

12. In general you would be right if you didn't know the history but he said the truck had been wrecked.

Charlie Stephens

13. jack orchard

jack orchard

minimum $200. maximum $1000. pull the heads. lube as necessary until it will turn over. check for cracks between the valve seats and cylinders. if only 1 or 2 cracks, the block can be fixed without breaking the bank. if no cracks, it's a keeper. asking price should be toward higher end....jack

14. colorado51

colorado51

Ok guys, I got a chance to look at it a little closer. It does have 8BA on the heads, and I can turn it by hand. The trans is attached, and from what I can see and feel, it is not a top shift.

So, what would be a fair price to offer for this thing?

15. Master of None

Master of None

I think $300 is fair $500 would be as much as I would pay.

16. Goodlife

Goodlife

Well lets see, I paid $1100 for one that came out of a 49 (8ba) convertible that hadn't been started in 10 years but had good compression. It had been rebuit some where along the way and was clean to look at. I pulled the pan which had only a slight amount of sludge that I cleaned out and back together she went. I put it on an engine stand put in new plugs, pertronix in the dizzy, water pumps and fresh oil. It turned over a time or two fired up like a gang buster brother. Nothing in my book is as sweet to listen to as the imortal flatty. Let us know what you find.

17. davo461

davo461

Flattie and Y Block firing order beats ALL ! Like the 'potato, potato" sound of a Harley; unique !

18. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Just scrap iron! Put it on a pallet and ship it to me!!!

19. barry wny

barry wny

8BA is car although no big deal, still a flathead but no clean out pan unless someone swapped heads. Carb should be a 94 series and have 8BA or RT in it. Check trans for selonoids, if so it is overdrive.