Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can't get my guages to work

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hvychvy, Apr 27, 2012.

1. hvychvy

hvychvy

Hooked up my guages in the merc,and not one of them works.I'm runnin a chevy 350 with electric senders,which I used 12-6 volt reducers on ,at the guages.I've never tried making old guages work on newer stuff,what am I missing?The main guages I'm tring to get to work are the oil and temp.I just don't want to give up,and mount some under the dash.I bench tested them with my battery charger with the reducers,and they moved,so I think the guages are good.Any info would be great:)

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Check your grounds?

3. hvychvy

hvychvy

I made shure they were tight,but I will go over again.They are all going to the same spot.That would be nice.Damn thing is fighting me the whole way:mad:

4. TxRat

TxRat

Sure sounds like a ground issue. grind the ground point to clean shiny metal...

5. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Since the car was originally + ground have you got the polarity correct?
    Just a thought!
    KK

6. So explain a little bit about the set up if the ground check doesn't do it for you.

Modern GM 12 volt senders hooked to ancient merc gauges. ? ?
    Do you know the ohms required for the gauges and the ohms delivered by the senders.

7. trilobyte

trilobyte
    from California

I cut the wire going from my temp gauge to the sender in the block before I realized it's NOT an electrical wire, but gas filled XD

8. hvychvy

hvychvy

9. mrcob

mrcob

If you find that your gauges need work I can highly suggest a fellow HAMBer...Morris Gauge in Portland. They are easy to find online. The price was in line with all the other places I looked into, the guy really knows his stuff, my gauges came back working as well as looking much better than I thought was possible, the service was very fast, and he give a HAMB discount. Also, if you describe your issues, he might be able to set you on the right path.

11. BJR

BJR

You need the original senders with the original gauges and the 12 to 6 reducer to work. The new senders are your problem.

12. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I'm confused... are you saying you put the voltage reducers in between the senders and the gauges?

13. hvychvy

hvychvy

I was wondering this.

14. hvychvy

hvychvy

Yes,guages are 6 volt,and I put in a new 12 volt harness.

15. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Im not sure about Merc gauges, but the Ford/Merc 36-46 does not work with modern resistance type senders...

And i would not be surpriced if the newer Merc used the same type.

The Ford guges and senders work with pulsating Bimetal parts in both ends.

16. Butch11443

Butch11443

Run the original sending units for the gauges. Put the voltage reducer in between the gauge and the 12V power supply. They are not polarity sensitive. You can use the reducer from a 57 to 59 ford instrument cluster.
    Butch

17. hvychvy

hvychvy

I was told the newer sending units would work with voltage reducers,but think the info was wrong.I should have asked here first.Sounds like I'll be ordering some flathead senders to put on my sbc:cool:

18. I'm running all the original gauges in my Merc with a sbc. But you can't use "modern" senders. It won't work no way no how. You need to buy the original senders for your car and put them on the 350.

19. BJR

BJR

Use a voltage reducer from NAPA Echlin VR1 or VR7 for 6 volt Ford gauges run on 12 volts. Hook it up on the 12 volt side then to the gauges. And use the original 6 volt senders with the original 6 volt gauges.

20. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

use the 6 volt senders with your gauges. solder a 6.2 volt 10 watt zener diode in the hot wire to the gauges and it'll work fine. you don't need to reduce voltage to the amp gauge because amps are amps!