Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best sanding blocks for WET SANDING

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Apr 27, 2012.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just wondering if there are better sanding blocks than the three pin per side holding type I've been using all these years?:confused:

2. JD Miller

JD Miller

3m wet or dry rubber squeegee

[​IMG]

3. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

I worked with this company back in the 80's and developed their line of Sanding Blocks when I had my restoration shop. They still sell them. Available at all P & B sellers;

http://www.motorguard.com/sur_1.html

Eric

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  4. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Still hard to beat a wooden stir-stick wrapped with a full sheet of whatever grit paper you're using, in MANY situations. DD

5. Thank you! I love those things!

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I agree they are nice. Bob:)

7. Daddy-O

Daddy-O

I think much depends upon what type of surface area you're sanding too. I just recently used a jitterbug type sander from HF for sanding my wagon roof w/ 400. I regulated down to about 40 psi and it worked great. Roughly a 4" x 6" paper area. Has a hard rubber pad.

8. paint helper John

paint helper John
    from oregon

www.jefflilly.com restoration site. Really good information on the blocks they make for all phases of body and paint work. Lot of good building and fab tips too.

9. TV

TV

I have several Balsa blocks from 2" to 16" long they are great for blocking.--TV

10. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

11. Never used a three pin block for wet sanding, or a paint stick for wet sanding. That big rubber 3 pin block is a lot of heavy mass to be flinging around. As soon as your done with it, or its done wearing you out, you get to play with the buffer.

That paint stick is my best friend for blocking though.

12. cederholm

cederholm

13. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

motorgaurd! oh ,and wet sanding bites!

14. Durablocks rock motor guard soft blocks are great 3m squeegees work well just make sure raised side is up. As for wet sanding with paint sticks think about what water does to the grain.

15. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, guys, glad to know they are still used an appreciated!!

The "SB", (the double density block), was my first sanding block and is still selling well after 26 years and well over 1,000,000 units! My favorite wet sanding block of the bunch is still "The Holey Terror", the black & blue one with the holes - Hard enough to flatten most panels, yet flexible enough to conform to curves.

Eric

PS: In place of the stirring sticks, I have some 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 3 Foot long hard EVA rubber "sticks" that I sell. They can be cut up into different lengths for various applications.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  16. chopped

chopped

I like a drywall pad, the one about the size of a double deck of cards. Wrapped with paper of coarse.It's the right size for my tired old hands.

17. badlefihand

badlefihand

Rubber drywall pads from Ace or Walmart.3 lengths up to 10" 3" wide" all one inch thick,work great.

18. Tin Can

Tin Can

Durablocks in our shop too. We just got done wetsanding my entire car for sealer and paint

19. large-stache

large-stache

I like the Tru-flat blocks for wetsanding, they don't warp like a 3M block. I like the new velcro Dura blocks for dry sanding.

20. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

im on board with the paint stick!!!

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been using paint sticks for decades. I've used a lot of blocks for getting there in the multitude of shapes we have to navigate, but when it gets down to that final wet sand the stick rules. You can't use just any old stick these days. The ones I get from the paint supplier aren't even real wood, they're some form of leftover wood product. I do have a fist full of good old school wood sticks that are just right. I prefer to throw them into some water well before so they soak up enough to conform easily and allow flat surfacing of at least 1-2sqft at a time. The old rubber with the teeth? I can't recall the last time I used one. I've used a coworker's "Holy Terror" on prep work and it was handy for what I needed, I also use a Meguires or 3M foam pad when the stick won't do, but the hard truth is that what you see and how you do it is where that surface comes from. 1/2 sheets of paper make a nice wrap over a stick or one of the 3 blocks mentioned. Hookit pads are also handy on a high speed short stroke orbital like a Dynabrade, but again it's the operator control and vision that make the end product.

As a slightly humorous aside, I can see when someone has used that old rubber block on a finish, many times from over 30' away. Leaves a perfect measure of itself along reveals when they get sanded straight along vs approached at an angle (the hard way).

22. Old thread here, but since I first saw it I've tried the paint sticks for wet sanding and love it.

23. walter

walter

I have about 8 different types (long, short, small round, big round, flat pad, soft flat pad) it just depends upon what I am sanding and what the area is like. I have a couple that are concave to use on reveal and belt lines also. My collection has been evolveing for 35 years.
    Walter

24. tcbigblock

tcbigblock

Sometimes if I have a curved surface I'll use a radiator hose wrapped with 400 wet .

25. Durablocks are my standard, but will use whatever works. Finished up a small repair spot on clearcoat this morning using a 1" 'block' cut out of a wooden clothes pin!

26. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

For a small detail block, a pink eraser from the school supply aisle of your favorite store works good.

27. Use your fingers till the tips bleed. :)
    -Pat