Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1930 Model A Pick-up Build A.K.A. No Talent Zilch Builds the "Captain"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stutz, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Thanks man, unfortunately its now yet. 12 to go.

2. Well now... I'm back to working on my project. Thank God!

I've been working on the cross member for my trans and after much evaluation, I decided on building welded in mounts on the frame and the center section from the original '54 Cadillac cross member.

I got so carried away building this that I didn't get to many in between pictures. Basically the mounts that I welded into the X of the frame rails are triangle shaped 1/4 inch steel, nuts welded inside so they lay flush inside the frame. Matching triangle pieces were used along with a hole lot of other odd shapes. In the pictures you can see the center section of the original crossmember with the two bolt holes. Both the wings are all fresh fabrication. I love how it turned out... and now the engine and trans are solid! Good job self.... haha.

[​IMG]

Bottom angle
    [​IMG]

side view
    [​IMG]

a couple of it in place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can kind of make out in the shitty picture the mounts that are welded to the frame. They stick out just a 1/4 inch, which personally I like the look of that. I went back and forth with the idea of having it flush on the rail or doing what I did and just having the base mounts plates on the surface... again I am help as heck with them.

The rear reinforcing "wings" kind of have a cool look in my opinion... but I'm biased since I built it ;)
    [​IMG]

I am way happy to be back working on this! I'll keep updating as much as possible now. Getting closer to having the chassis done.

3. Im as happy as a little girl! Glad your back on it.

4. dsr_54

dsr_54

Love the tranny mount !

5. Thanks boys... I believe it will work.

6. Glad to see you back in circulation working on it.

7. badshifter

badshifter

Looking good. Nice work you are doing as well. I may be feeling motivated soon...

8. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Just found this thread and thought who is building this P.O.S. oh its Stutz never mind. Kidding, kidding. Very cool project and great work so far. I look forward to seeing more of your build and hopefully seeing it at your show in August. Let me know if you ever need any parts and I will do my best to find them for you.

9. thanks guy, its good to be back!

Johnny C, hahaha thanks. But as far as parts If you can locate a 32-36 Ford ibeam axle for me.... ;) I really do need one.

10. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

I think I may have one. I'll check and send you a pm if I do.

11. Awesome! I'll be patiently waiting to hear.

12. Update. I'm getting closer to have the frame bits all welded up and in place. Just the basic stuff. I'm sure that I'll be modifying things are I progress and as I plan where and how everything will fit. However, I feel way better now that the Motor/Trans is in place, and the front and back half of the frame are perfectly square and solid. I finished up the center section of my driveline "hoop". It was merely a cut piece of 5 inch pipe for the bottom part between the centers of the X. Obviously the pictures will tell the tale better than I could, being that this is an odd mating of A style rails and the rear of '62 cadillac. I added a few reinforcing pieces in the V's of the rails. This should be plenty strong and nice and smooth. Now I can get to building the sub frame on the body.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Right where my dogs head is in this shot, is the V spots in the frame that I filled for strength.

[​IMG]
    This should do the trick. It helps that the Driveline will only be Around 3 feet long or so.

[​IMG]
    Shitty camera phone lighting.

[​IMG]
    Body sitting where it will eventually live. Again, I will start on the sub frame and then the extending of the cab. That big ass Cadillac trans fills things up quick and I'll have a ton of figuring to do to place, pedals, steering, MC, inside of a channeled body.

It was a BEAUTIFUL DAY IN WYOMING! Finally was able to have the shop door open.
    [​IMG]
    I plan to get some more done this week before my new nephew is born and I travel to see him. I sure am happy to be back working on this... God blesses us Hot Rodders with a great life style.

13. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

What a neat build! i like

14. It's coming together nice!

15. Looking good stutz, will we see it at the AST?

16. Thanks guys, one piece at a time!

17. Aside from getting all the show stuff together, my other big mission is to have this as a roller for AST.

18. This question I'm about to ask is pretty broad... but, I need some ideas for the brake master cylinder and pedal set up. I don't want to mount it on the firewall and I think I have room in the floor. Can anyone share some ideas or what they have done, and what they used. I need a little direction. Thanks!

19. Definitely a good option. Im thinking of mounting the brake master cylinder on the cowl structure support.

20. Stutz,

Here is my 2 cents, without exception, everyone I've talked to about brakes told me to overbuild the MC mount. They said too many of them when mounted into stamped steel ended up flexing under a panic stop.

21. I am following this build way to cool.

Frenchy

22. Pretty Cool update!

I've been on the hunt for a 32-36 axle to give me the proper space to turn the wheels without scrubbing the wishbones. After a few months of looking and thinking it was going to be harder and harder to find... the Hot Rod ghosts were working in my favor. Verbal Kint had given me a number of a friend of his that had an axle that fits the bill, located a few hours away in Bozeman, Mt. Today I called the guy and left a message, and patiently waited to here back. In the mean time I just by chance happened to stop by a guys house to say hello. Literally on a whim because he happened to be in his yard. He's an older car guy and a former member of Sheridan's old 1950's C.C. the Conquistadors. We started talking about cars and the subject of the kind of axle I have been searching for. Who knew, he had one, literally less than a 1/4 mile from where I work, and not just any old axle, but one from a genuine hot rod '34 Ford! The car that started with the axle was built up in the very early 60's... and literally couldn't be cooler. Weird how these things work out. I did hear back from the guy I called early, so no matter what, today I was getting an axle. Fortunately another member of my club needs a similar axle... so double good luck today! This proves how great the Hot Rod world is... you ask, and you shall receive. Thanks Verbal Kint for the contact of your friend, and everyone else for looking for axles all over for me!

Here's some pictures of this really swell find...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You can see the obvious difference between the later axle and the '34. Will work perfect!

[​IMG]
    The split bones are awfully narrow, and being that I am fairly new to early ford stuff, the 37-41 bones compared to these are massive.

[​IMG]
    The tie-rod ends are great! angular cast bases.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The spring pack is massive with all the added leaves. You can see the originals with bits of Orange paint and the ones that seemed to be added later.
    [​IMG]

So the old hot rod axle has found a new home, right where it needs to be. And I literally had to drive down the street to find it!
    [​IMG]

These are the kind of things that make you truly love the build of a vehicle. I feel blessed to have found this. Now I can get my ass back in gear and get this fucker turned into a roller!

Thanks again to everyone that was helping me track down an axle, I really appreciate, and don't hesitate to ask if I can help in some way!

23. Stutz, want to travel to the salt with us this year?

24. Trent, I would love to man. I don't know if I can leave though being that I will be getting ready for Absaroka State Takeover. Thank you for the invite man, if I can somehow make it happen I will.

25. I keep forgetting about your show. Schedule that bitch in the fall! That way more of us can make it. That is still HAMB Drags weekend for folks that have time for the salt and the drags! Ony salt for me this year.

But, I am looking at also doing WoS later at Bonneville if the weahter holds out. Still need travlin partners.

26. Haha, I know, I know... But I have to compete with stupid sturgis earlier, and Sheridan has a ton of stuff in September. I'm not sure what will happen schedule wise next year for A.S.T. But I am looking at options.

27. [​IMG]

I forgot to mention that reversed bottom leaf spring... more tell tale signs of hot rod heritage.

28. I couldn't wait to get done with my busy day job to get back my Hot Rod.

After much studying and decision making, not to mention measuring, I ending up using ever bit of the "new" "old" axle. The spring lost a few springs, and the bones got extended exactly four inches. Now all I have to do is build the spring perch... and everything else. I'll shut up now. Here's pictures

(Forgive the camera phone quality)

Voila
    Mocked up the Cad drums and 39' brakes/backing plates on the '39 spindles.
    [​IMG]

I love this view
    [​IMG]

extended bones
    [​IMG]

Yet to me finished welded...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be... that almost looks like a fucking car!?!
    [​IMG]

I think I'm in love.

29. Oh hell yeah! Thats looking good man.