Register now to get rid of these ads!

Use white vinegar?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLUDICE, Apr 27, 2012.

1. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I got these off Ebay - they are not as rusty as the picture shows - got some decent chrome under the rust - I've used white vinegar on stainless before and it did a great job, but is it ok to use on these chome lake pipes?

Attached Files:

2. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

My guess would be, that if there is rust under the chrome, it'll peel off like a banana.

3. Vinegar is a mild acid, it won't hurt or shouldn't hurt what chrome is left under the rust but I would make sure that it is rinsed real well and give it a libral does of some sort of polish after.

Me personally I would use SOS pads on it.

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I would say no vinegar and no steel wool no matter how fine. I would try to find bronze wool for a first pass and go from there with chrome polish.

Those are really cool – I'm jealous.

5. I have had great success on rusty, pitted chrome by using aluminum foil and warm water. You fold or wad the foil in a ball then flatten it out, dip in the warm water and rub against the rusty part. You'll be surprised how much oxidation comes off and how it knocks down the pits.
    Hope this helps
    Matt

6. Not me that look too old fashioned. :rolleyes:

Ya just don't find ribbed pipes any more, I think that someone makes them but it just isn't same as having a real deal old part. Even if they need to be rechromed it is still a good score. ;)

7. That aluminium foil trick is pretty cool.
    When I was in grade school I lost a bet on that one.
    A kid said he could take the rust off of his bike handle bars with some spit and a gum wrapper.

8. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Their in great shape - came off a '54 Merc - been in a barn attic for 50 years - so a big NO to Vinegar - real glad to check in to you guys - thanks.

Attached Files:

9. JimSwann

JimSwann

Try CLR, it eats rust. Saw a post where a guy used it on a hood, saved the patina but got rid of the surface rust.

10. uc4me

uc4me

11. I have great luck with Evapo-rust and its now available in most parts stores. I keep a tank on hand filled with it,and magnet out the pieces from time to time. You can also use wood bleach which works similarly. And there is always the electrolytical route.

I avoid scrubbing or scraping wherever possible and these methods have served me well in that regard.

12. spacebull1

spacebull1
    from Belgrade

Trully is in great shape... <object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:)

13. jimbousman

jimbousman

Vinegar is not all that great on rust and with any other acid based product there is a chance you can dull the chrome surface. I'll admit I am old fashioned but to me noting replaces old fashion elbow grease when it come to polishing chrome. I'd say get a good chrome cleaner or metal polish and go town.

14. I've done the same thing, except instead of the warm water, used WD40.

15. rld14

rld14

16. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

17. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

18. pumpman

pumpman

damagedduck, thanks for the link. In all of the years i've tried "everything" with poor to nil results I have never heard of this. If this works I owe you a beer.

19. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Chrome doesn't rust. There is no rust on TOP of the chrome. There is no chrome hiding "under the rust". Unfortunately, where there is rust, there is no longer chrome. You may(or may not) be able to polish the parts up to make them shiny again, but everywhere the chrome is missing it's bare metal. Everywhere there is bare metal the parts will rust.

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Chrome does not rust but it gets tarnished and rust stained.

Try cleaning the parts with a copper scrubbing pad and Pledge. The copper will not scratch the chrome unlike steel wool.

Once you have the rust cleaned off polish with Simichrome, Flitz, or your favorite chrome polish.

21. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Iffn the chrome is peeling it will cut your fingers like a carrot slicer. Done ask but it involved a Country Sedan rear bumber. If ya want em chrome, rechrome or polish em carefully. Bronze brush perhaps.

22. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

You can get the "ribbed" exhaust pipes and lake pipes thru Night Prowlers, plus they are a Alliance vendor!

23. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Sorry, Night Prowlers sells the ribbed stuff.

24. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

Does Chrome actually polish? Or is the polish just a dirt rust debris removed? For example if I put some super fine scratches in my bumper while using steel wool that did not go through the Chrome, can these and any other super fine scratches be "polished" out?

The reason for my question is that I believe my stock 51 Plymouth Chrome bumpers should look nicer than they do but I just don't know much about restoring Chrome shine. I use plain ol auto store Chrome polish, a damp rag for application and a super fine rag for residue wipe off. Advice?

25. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

With appropriate compound and methods chrome can be buffed and fine(and only fine) scratches removed. But..... chrome is very thin and can't be buffed very much. If you want a well used part to look like new again and have good durability, most of the time re-chroming is needed.

26. onlyonthurs62

onlyonthurs62

In need to try that Oxalic acid dip with my rusty chrome items. I wonder if home depot still sells this stuff

27. Naval Jelly...... Does a GREAT job removing rust from chrome