Register now to get rid of these ads!

what rear end is in my car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51flathead, Apr 26, 2012.

1. 51flathead

51flathead

i have a 1951 chrysler windsor deluxe. what rear end would be in this car? im lookin to change the gears in it, factory one are just way to low

2. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I believe you would be better changing to a later model rear end than trying to source alternative gear ratios for your axle.

3. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

im guessing 8 1/4 rear

4. hotrodbill

hotrodbill

What he said.

There is no aftermarket for those rear ends, anything you find will be stock replacement stuff. And they are incredibly weak, with like a 7-1/2 ring gear. Find a later model rear and swap it.

5. 51flathead

51flathead

thats what i was thinkin about, maybe one out of a ranger? hmmm ill have to do some measuring

6. If you are thinking about going the 8.8 route I would sugest getting one from a '95 or up explorer and not a ranger. If I remeber correctly the explorers have 31' spline axles and the rangers have 28?

7. keep in mind 28 splined axles will do just fine in that old chrysler he just needs one that is proper width, plus get ready to update braking system when you start changing things.