Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Chevy 3100 windshield swap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racerdaddy1, Apr 25, 2012.

1. racerdaddy1

racerdaddy1

I tried to search for a thread on this. Most of what I have worked on at my age has been glue in type windshields. Will someone please tell me the correct way to remove the drivers windshield? The rubber seal is soft and flexible. It appears to have been replaced some time ago. The glass got smacked with a limb and is busted pretty good. I want to get it out and use for a pattern.Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. If I recall correctly, there should be a "bead" in the outer side in the center of the rubber. This bead will need to be pulled out which allows room for the glass to be pushed out. Wet the rubber REALLY good with soap and water mix, and start to push it out from a corner area. Of course before all this you need to unbolt the center windshield strip.

3. racerdaddy1

racerdaddy1

Thanks Borderboy. This 53 must have had the rubbr updated or something. There is no locking bead on this one. It is just solid rubber, about 1 1/2" wide maybe? It is flexible, but Im not sure sure if I need to have someone inside pushing while I try to bend the rubber away from the glass or what?

4. farmboyhotrodder

farmboyhotrodder
    from PA

Locking beads were not used on the '47-'53 windshields. The only exception was the Deluxe trim package (mostly on '49's) which used a stainless steel strip in the windshield rubber. Lock strips were used in the corner "Nu-Vue" windows, if your truck was so equipped from the factory. The method to remove is to smash the already broken-out glass to install the new glass. If the rubber gasket is dry rotted, install a new gasket. You will need some fine rope/cord and soapy water to slip the glass/gasket into the cab. Jim Carter's truck parts was helpful when I worked on my '49 half-ton years ago. There's a tab on his web site where you can ask him that question or any Advance Design truck question.

5. farmboyhotrodder

farmboyhotrodder
    from PA

6. farmboyhotrodder

farmboyhotrodder
    from PA