Register now to get rid of these ads!

mopar guys help! 59 newyorker ebrake failed/ after market options ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tattoos by brandon, Apr 25, 2012.

1. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

I have a 59 Chrysler new Yorker and the ebrake released and my car rolled into a parked car while I was eating ..... its a drum? Brake on the tran/drive shaft ....any one know where I might be able to get parts to fix this and any ideas what might have went bad ... I pulled on the cable and it had alot of slack but it did not come out.of the drum assembly ...I'm assuming some kind of Leaver might have broke off inside .... if there is any alternative to fixing this as In an after market ebrake set up?

. I just need a cheap fix that is not to difficult this is my daily driver so i can have it off the road for long and if i was able to block it I would it I have to park an a hill for work ...
    Any help will be great! ...keep in mind I'm new to older cars and don't know much and I'm willing.to spend money if i need to but I don't have alot .....thanks

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The original Ebrake is excellent. Being completely separate from the service brakes makes it especially reliable. You will have to investigate and see what went wrong. Possibly the cable rusted off.

There is no other Ebrake that will fit so far as I know. You would have to change the rear axle or rear brakes to get modern style Ebrake on the back wheels. It would be easier to fix the original one.

3. it's really just like a drum brake....you need to adjust it......try doing that first....and if you need "new" shoes - get them - they used the same set up on Winnabago motor homes thru and into the 80's....

4. The ones I worked on were an external contracting band brake. The operating mechanism is not enclosed, should be easy to see whats wrong. The parts should be steel stampings, easy to weld or fab new if broken/rusted. If the lining is bad, should be able to get the band relined at an industrial brake place.

5. Granger Perry

Granger Perry
    from Albany, WI

Any band of any other mopar car should work. I have a band off of a 1937 Plymouth on my 54 Belvedere. You might have to flip the mount deal but its just grinding down 4 rivets and weld it back on.

6. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Flog an emergengy drumbrake off an Isuzu NPR truck [ sold as Chev / GMC in the states ]
    These use shoes like a normal drumbrake and will hold 10 ton on the side of a hill

Cant be too difficult to adapt another backing plate

7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Check out a place like the old manual project.You can see how it operates with good diagrams and part numbers.Could be easier to fix what you have than re-invent a replacement

8. royalbopper

royalbopper
    from Sweden

9. The original setup should work well! If you don't have the capacity to fix it, take it to a mechanic. You should not have to wonder whether it will work or not. Being cheap in this case puts everyone else at risk.
    Didn't those cars have a dashboard lever for the parking pawl?

10. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Google: "The Forward Look Network" Home of 1955-1961 ply. dodge chyrsler ALL your question and anawers will be found here. good luck!!!

11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

wheel chocks till its fixed.

Mopar used 2 or three different systems there. Sone with an external band that tightened on a drum and some with an internal mechanically applied drum brake.

If adjusting it won't give you enough holding power, any commercial vehicle brake place should be able to affix new friction material to either style for not a lot of money. I had mine relined for less that 40 bucks (but it was 10 years ago) by a local company that does brakes on anything from earth moving equipment, to elevators, to carrosels. Do a search for a commercial/costruction vehicle brakes in your area

12. You should be able to fix it.. got some great help here. I was with a buddy years ago and his caught fire one night.. scared the crap out of us.

Bob

13. 73RR

73RR

Although it may be 'cheaper' to fix the existing unit. it might actually be faster to replace the rear axle with a newer unit, in your case I think a 1962 will have the same pinion flange and will also have an e-brake.
    Just a thought...

As mentioned, join the forum over at the ForwardLook site.

14. Squablow

Squablow

The external band ones were on the early cars, your '59 should have the internal drum type, with shoes on the inside. Every ForwardLook car I've ever had needed a bunch of adjusting to get the parking brake to work nicely again, it's very possible yours just needs to be readjusted. Basically, your shoes might be just worn down to the point where when the brake is set, you're not making tight enough contact with the drum. There's an adjustment for that.

If it won't adjust, your shoes might be bad, they were in my '60 Fury, all the way down to the metal. We got some generic brake linings off some random old brake shoes, riveted them onto my old shoes and put the whole thing back together, works great again. I was unaware about the Winnebago motor home using the same stuff but it makes sense since they used a version of the same push button transmission all that time (shifter in a Winnie is the same as a console shifter in a '65 Chrysler 300-L, pretty neat). Might be a good source of parts if you end up needing something.

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Why not jack the car up and have a look. It may be something trivial you can fix for a few bucks. It usually is.