Register now to get rid of these ads!

what do you use for bead lube when mounting tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Apr 24, 2012.

1. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I have good luck with using Magic Bubbles!
    It was the only thing close at hand when I needed to mount a tire!
    It worked great!

2. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

500 truck tires a day, ya'll were some "Tire Mountin" MOFO'S

3. no55mad

no55mad

Where can these products be purchased?

4. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

Goop hand cleaner always worked well for me. I would avoid using the ATF as mentioned earlier. My dad said way back when the guys that wanted that wet tire look were using brake fluid and later on using ATF. He mentioned they learned you had to practically wipe most of it back off as the tires seemed to rot faster with the guys that used it excessively.

5. bgaro

bgaro

any spray oil or silicone within reach is what i've always used.

6. Myers Tire Supply is in most major cities, and there are numerous smaller tire supply companies that sell to dealers. Ask your local tire dealer who they buy from, or see if they will sell/give you a small amount in your container. A quart will last a looooong time. Get a soap mop while you're at it. Cut a hole in the top of the container, add a small amount of water, and stick the mop into the slime and apply.

And, yes, that 500 a day:eek: is no exaggeration. All done by hand (machine was too slow). 3 guys could dismount/mount/air-up 200 in about 4 hours. Had 8 guys doing it if everybody came to work:rolleyes: Some tough mofo's, for sure. They handled them like passenger tires.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Shampoo. Get some at the dollar store for a $1 buck. Do not use your wife's $45 a bottle stuff you will get in trouble.

millersgarage likes this.
  8. While still going to high school in '75,I worked @ a Union 76 station 4 to midnite.Pumpin gas & small shop jobs.
    We had an account with a tire company & the trucks had service beds & always had big rig tires in the back.
    After I'd fill the truck tank,the driver(s) would always/sometimes ask me to fill their gallon can they carried with gas.
    After a few months of this I finally asked about the gas can & they told me they used it for mounting big rig tires---I went ":eek:",,but they told me they never had a problem..anyone else ever hear of this?

9. Piper106

Piper106

Changing direction. I seem to recall reading that dish soap was a no-no with real magnesium wheels. Should I ever be lucky (or rich) enough to own a set of mag wheels, what should be used to mount tires???

10. Deuces

Deuces

Chassis lube.... Never had a leak..;)

11. ev88f

ev88f

I've used it on mags with no ill effects. Never heard of soap being bad but who knows

12. jack orchard

jack orchard

Fantastic or 409

13. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

14. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dawn or Palmolive dishwashing soap

15. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

16. baby powder or corn starch.

17. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Good one here! No water containing residue.

18. gippetto

gippetto

I use semen. Only problem is I'm too exhausted to mount the tire once it's lubed. :rolleyes:

19. oreily's has Ru-glyde on close out $7!

20. They probably squirted a little in the tire after it was on the rim, then tossed a match at it, boom, bead is on and the tire is half aired up. Worked well with starting fluid, until they changed starting fluid so it won't go bang any more.

21. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Um, why not buy a gallon of rubber lube from NAPA. That's what tire shops use because that's what it's made for.

22. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Dish soap and water.

23. Duner

Duner
    from Wisconsin

Brake clean , small squirt on the tight spot.
    If the rim is rusted or pitted I use other stuff.

24. Old School.....Soapy water always worked for me. HRP

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. Yes, I think you should put power inside so the tube will not stick to the tire. I have never done that and had no problem.

26. The reason I wouldn't is because I don't know that many girls.

You can get Murphy's Oil Soap at Walgreens, Ace Hardware and most super markets.

27. stimpy

stimpy

when I worked for Firestone in the heavy tire division ( trucks , ag and construction tires) we used murphys oil soap as it was cheap and they bought it by the drum , to do truck tires on a service call you mix a little with gasoline and the tires slide right on without needing spoons , we kept the mix in a soap bottle . and you didn't need ether to seat the bead ( the match toss was how you did it unless it was grassy or super dry out as it could start a grass fire ) my drag slicks I mount with just the oil soap

28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I use Ru-glyde on my old coats 40-40. there was one place I worked as a teenager that used anti freeze, seemed to work pretty good....

29. The gasoline ( or pretty near any petroleum distilate) will soften the rubber a bit. More pliable is always good. ;)

On a side not WD40 will make the rubber swell, swollen rubber baaaaaaaad.

I just thought about it I think SamIam posted a tech about using a trash bag a while back. pretty slick tech.

30. stimpy

stimpy

Pnb don't you use the little slabs of pork fat they put in the PNB cans ??? :D:p

My neighbor tried the trashbag trick for mounting some ATV wheels , it didn't work , the bags must have been thin as all they did was rip , I went over with some Oilsoap and my spoons and popped them right on .