Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Truly Traditional, Period perfect 1932-34 Chassis Picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Harms Way, Apr 24, 2012.

1. plan9

plan9

Yeah, here is where interpretation comes into play. What is a "truly traditional and period correct" arrangement? Traditional at one point seemed to mean the years leading up to and immediately after WW2, a style that continued into the early 50's. In a way, once OHV's became the norm the idea of "truly traditional and period correct" ends.

Do you have any photos of F1 box's with the welded kick outs between 1950-56? I never cared enough to really analyze every photo.

2. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

I love old ford chassis ! subscribe

3. Come on Plan9, your picking the fly shit out of the pepper now.

4. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

Here's a chassis from a former record holding B/Gas coupe that was on ebay a couple years back. It's not the prettiest but shows how thing's were done in the early/mid 1960's. The disc brakes are Hurst Airheart's. Please ignore the horrible looking radials tires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a photo of how the car looked in 1963.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. plan9

plan9

so long as people keep their emotions in check this can turn into more than just another loosely interpreted picture thread. then again, we are talking 40s-60s.... a detail ive overlooked in the original post.

6. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'32 I built in 2006. '39 Trans, '40 Box and Pedals, '39 X-member, brakes, axles, and wide 5's. Gotta love wide 5's.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  7. duste01

duste01

I need some more

8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Loving this one.. If I were building deuce rails for my A build, this is almost exactly what I would do.

9. Joe Didio

Joe Didio

Current project, 30 Model A, deuce frame and grill shell, Nailhead, 5 speed and a quick change.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      334.9 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      330.1 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      276.7 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      272.9 KB
      Views:
    drylakespeedshop likes this.
  10. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

This. Thread. Is. AWESOME.

11. so do you have the rest of the cool old drag coupe?.
    Al.

12. wizzard23

wizzard23

Would'nt that make rodent rods traditional?

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

These are crappy cell phone pictures, But I got this chassis from an old friend of mine that a lot of people know,.. and everybody knew his brothers name ,... well in the 40's these guys liked Hot Rods and built one or two,.. Well my ol' pal calls me one day and said this has been buried in the corner of his garage for decades,... "come get it out of here",... It's very used and abused, 32 Frame, 40 rear, Ed Stewart Dago axle, 40 brakes,..... 100% authentic from back in the day...... This old chassis was there doing it, back when Hot Rodding was waiting for it's first whisker.

Used, abused, lumpy, not perfectly engineered, and certainly not real pretty, but the real undeniable deal with Detroit street history,...... This is NOT exactly what I was talking about when I started this thread,.... What you guys are posting is exactly what I was talking about. Is this kind of lumpy old frame welcome in this thread ??? ABSOLUTELY ! :D,.... Keep posting guys !,... so far EVERYTHING posted meets the original posters criteria ...:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know this is all about chassis,.. but this is what it's holding up,... just some more ol crap from the back corner of the barn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  14. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

i love this thread!,,i picked up a stocker 34 a few weeks ago,,ive only seen it once sience its arrived to an undisclosed location,,but just started collecting parts and buiding it in my head,,,,one of the things i have been really contemplating is if i really need to box the frame on a it,,,i can see some really beautiful ones not boxed, but yet a bunch of them boxed that probably dont need it...(was a boxed frame TRADITIONAL?)

15. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I am 72 years old and what I recall as traditional was taking a stock frame and adding anything you could find in the junkyard or trade for that would fit under the chassis. I still feel the same way about using original chassis for a feeling of nostalgia. I have a great respect for the super new chassis that are being built by some of the professionals and home builders alike, but I really like the old cars and chassis that were built in the garage or driveway after school. I hope to see some of both on this great new thread.
    Lynn

Attached Files:

oldtymehiboy likes this.
  16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Most awesome.

17. U-235

U-235

[​IMG]

Cherry picker...? we don't need no stinkin cherry picker...!

18. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Here's a few of the '32 Chassis I've built. Some could be considered "period correct", some are not so period correct, but just my "style"...for lack of a better description.

I suppose these three would be in the "period correct" category:

Texas Playboy (Theoretically nothing newer than '59):

[​IMG]

Swiss Model A Coupe (Theoretically nothing newer than '53:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sam's Roadster (Theoretically nothing newer than '54):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not so period perfect:

The Wade Coupe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My '29 Coupe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My '29 Roadster:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Brian

oldtymehiboy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I wouldn't be able to pick from any of yours, Brian. They're all just too good to pick one over the other.

oldtymehiboy likes this.
  20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Whoa whoa whoa!!! What's up with the Swiss and Sam's coupe Brian? Those are pretty rad.....simple compared to your other stuff but rad none the less! I'm still digging your '29 Roadster chassis as well. I talked to E.C. at the Roundup and he mentioned the possibility of getting back on that soon??

21. Words are not needed, the pictures say it all, the best builders are members of Hamb and share everything... thanks for all guys...

22. Ken Crawford sent me these back in 2010. The restored '32 chassis of the Ken Crawford/Jerry Stroner roadster by Chuck & Mike Longley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

That '29 chassis is ridiculous, it's perfect.

24. Rem

Rem

Definitely some reference material here to be filed for the future. Is that '40-style cross steering tucked in the Crawford/Stroner chassis above? When was it originally built?

25. pvcerod

pvcerod
    from Australia

What we started with & what we ended up with.......wish I still had it! :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. That is street rod not traditional. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

27. Well according to OP thats ok...................I say change the title! :confused:

28. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

when did gm calipers, disc brakes, tube crossmembers and coil overs become traditional, lets get this thread back on track.

town sedan likes this.
  29. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Here's one that is "Questionable" on the Traditional side.. But it's worth showing cause of some of the neat stuff on it. The Front suspension is an exact "Rip=off" of early MILLER race cars. The cross members were cool. The Holes in the frame were "fun"... Had to find all the different size tubing so they "tappered" and followed the width of the frame. The Last Hole in the back was the actual cross tube that held the Drive shaft loop. This car was concieved, and design to be a 32 Ford roadster "Drift car" to take to SEMA and run with the Imports.. (Hence the Sway bar, and "beafyness" of everything) but, half way through the build the Owner ($) took it in a "European sports car" direction and it lost its magic.

(I did NOT do the clunky, big front shock mounts. Those were done after my construction of the chassis)

...Okay, back to "Buggy spring fronts, Drum brakes, and WISH BONES!!!

Attached Files:

• 5758.jpg
      5758.jpg
      File size:
      55.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5757.jpg
      5757.jpg
      File size:
      65.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5759.jpg
      5759.jpg
      File size:
      72.6 KB
      Views:
  30. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

What a cool concept. Was it going to run tall-and-skinny tires like that?