Register now to get rid of these ads!

VDO Speedo Sender

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Karfever, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Karfever

Karfever

I believe I have a bad sender on an electronic Series 1 VDO speedometer. It will not calibrate and shows a F 00 code. My question is can the wire on the sender be spliced at the transission without incuring any problems? I would rather not have to run the new sender wire all the way up to the the speedometer head.

Thanks

2. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

You should be able to splice the wires, make sure you solder them and use shrink tubing to keep them insulated.

3. Karfever

Karfever

Thanks for the response.
    Another question, can I replace the VDO sender with any brand of a three wire pulse/hall effect generator?

4. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Is this a new unit? If it is, you may want to have a chat with VDO first, as if you dont have something quite right, it wont work. It is more common for this to be the reason as opposed to an actual bad sender. Proper sender for gauge? Wires hooked up correctly? Running a Cruise control that reads the signal also?

Is this the type of sender that screws on with the little rod to fit inside the original cable hole? If it is on too tight or far, it can bind up and will not spin, and may break of the rod resulting in no signal. I think there is supposed to be a gasket or something in there if I recall correctly, and if that isn't in there, or you put it on with a cheater...lol...that could cause it also.

You could unscrew it and see if there are any signs of broken parts or rubbing.

Do you have a manual that refers to what that code is?

5. Karfever

Karfever

I will do a test on the sender prior to replacing it. The code I am getting is 'no imput from sender'. The gauge is a few years old with limited use, just quit working, all wiring and the gauge itself checks out ok.

6. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

So it was already working at one time? The wiring checks out, as in....a continuity test from the very end to the very end on all conductors? If this is true, then that rules out incorrectly hooked up or configured.

It wouldn't hurt to take it out and visually inspect it. If nothing looks suspicious, you could try simulating movement on the end of the sender with a drill and see if the gauge responds. I have seen stripped out speedometer gears before also.

Brian

7. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

any updates yet?

8. Karfever

Karfever

No update. I have to put the car back up in the air this weekend and pull the sender as you suggested and check it, see if it is bound, and check for signal.

9. cornbread-red

cornbread-red

I had the same issue, plugged it to a dremel tool and it worked fine. Problem was small gear in the transmission had stripped. You need 3 or 4 hands to hold the dremel and calibrate the speedo though.

Gary aka cornbread-red