Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stupid Turbo Question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RagtopBuick66, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Please forgive me if this seems out of place, or if I sound like a totally clueless idiot. I'm curious what it would take to turbocharge a carbureted engine, or if it can even be done without an Engineering degree. I'm sure it has been done before, and I'm kicking around doing it myself to an OT 66. Just to be different... :cool:

2. skwurl

skwurl

You can do a blow through or mount the carb on th inlet side of the turbo. Tuning is a whole other deal

3. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I'm asking because I picked up a Garrett GTP38 (From a 7.3 Ford Turbodiesel) for next to nothing, and of course the first thing that crossed my mind was to mate it to my FE 390 +0.040 with forged aluminum pistons, worked heads and a big 'ol thumpstick. I'm kicking around the turbo for more or less a WOW factor. Thoughts?

4. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

I wouldn't think an engineering degree would be needed but some thought should go into the design of the turbo manifold. Firing order would need to be considered, in order to get the correct flow into the turbo. Is this a "V" motor or straight? Also size and A/R of the turbo needs to be considered. There is a lot more to it than just bolt it up and go.

Mike

5. Not as easy as falling off a log but with some research and fab skills it won't be that hard.

Watch out the traditional police are coming.

6. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

There are differences in a diesel turbo vs a gas turbo. They are not all designed the same.

http://www.wcengineering.com/articles/dieselturbo.html

7. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

It's a V8 390. Should kick quite well on its own with all the work that's been done to it, but in the eternal words of Ricky Bobby, "I wanna go fast!"

The turbo came off of a 7.3, and the 390 is roughly 6.4 BEFORE the bore 0.040 over. (Making it in truth a 396, I believe...), so we're real close in displacement. I would think a turbo thrown into the works would essentially be about the equivalent of running forced air induction, just on a bit grander scale.

So am I on the right track so far? Or am I missing the big picture due to my head being tightly surrounded by my rectum?

8. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

LOL, yes, I realized when I posted this that the "Traditional Police" would probably write me an insult-laden ticket, and that my thick skin might suffer some inflictions...

But when it comes right down to it, I respect the knowledge on this board. Old-schoolers have either DONE it, SEEN it, or have THOUGHT about it themselves. The H.A.M.B. is probably the best resource for answers to questions about anything carbureted on wheels. What better place to ask a question such as this? If it makes anyone feel a little better, we can pretend that the FE 390 in question is in a 64 Galaxie... ;)

9. Carbureted turbo's are nothing new. I had a V6 Capri with a draw through system back in 1975.
    I do think there are some difference in turbo design for diesels vs. Gas motors due to the difference in engine RPM parameters. Spool up time is different, exhaust gas heat and amount of flow is different, Off Throttle back pressure on the turbo is completely different. Most diesel turbos won't see more than 50,000 RPM, where the typical gas motor turbo can see 125,000 RPM. Diesel turbos can be re worked for gas usage, but you're going to spend some $$$

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The big difference in Diesel and suck through gas turbos is that the diesel will never see vacuum. So it is not built with seals to keep oil in the bearing chamber when you close the throttle. On a suck through system under high vacuum you will suck out into the intake tract and look like a crop duster. On a blow through that wont happen. I made my own suck through deal. It worked OK for what I was doing but would have been a loser on the street. Others have done much better.

11. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.