Register now to get rid of these ads!

carb swap edelbrock to holley question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintage_car, Apr 24, 2012.

1. vintage_car

vintage_car

I have an old edelbrock 650 manual choke sitting on a edlebrock performer dual plane manifold. the carb is leaking badly from various places. I'd like to swap to a holley. Is there a specific 650 from holley that I need to work with my intake? manual choke is still fine by me.

2. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

IMO, You'll be sorry.
    I swapped from a trouble-some Holley to an Edelbrock 19+ years ago and never looked back. never touched it again.

3. Well do you need a vacuum secondary or a double pumper ? If you could get a vacuum secondary style carb that would be good for you.

4. vintage_car

vintage_car

it seems to be flooding out the truck. with the fuel pump running and psi at 5, fuel drips pretty steady out of the 2 marked areas in the photo. even after the truck is off it will slowly drip.

Attached Files:

5. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

What motor? What car? What gear? What trans? What cam? What do you do with the car? All that said........if the edelbrock made you happy - i'd go with the old reliable list# 1850 vac secondary 600 cfm

6. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

How much tension is/has been on your return spring?

7. vintage_car

vintage_car

good tension is on the return spring. I have a dual spring setup. the gas pedal does take a bit to push.

It is a rat rod truck, 350-v8, crane energizer cam, 882 heads, headers, th-350, drive it when it isn't raining on the highway about 50 miles to and from work- highway speeds...and a few fun burnouts.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  8. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

ok, i'll play. my edelbrock to holley question is... Why? And, the return spring is the thingie that closes your throttle when you lift off the gas. Looks like it's bleedin past the throttle shaft to me. You can have that sorta thing repaired. I'd stick with an edelbrock but that's just me. Had experience with both brands i just prefer an edelbrock. Opinions may vary.. :)

checkout this page, its eddys tuning page. straight from the horses mouth so to speak, tell ya everthing ya ever wanna know bout em. :)
    http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/pdf/carb_owners_manual.pdf

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  9. 32ratsass

32ratsass

The Edelbrock could probably benefit from a carb kit, and a float adjustment. Your picture indicates a probable float level problem or a needle/seat leakthrough problem. No matter what, from a reliability standpoint, and freedom from external leaks, you're going to be better off with the Edelbock.

10. Deuces

Deuces

I'd go with the 1850 carb also!!!!!!.. :D

11. vintage_car

vintage_car

alright, I see that I have started a holley vs. edelbrock carb thread...

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

As a few others have said, It's fuel pressure related (your test gauge may be bad) or a needle and seat issue. Double check those two things, the Carb is not junk.
    [​IMG]

13. Deuces

Deuces

Yep!...:D I'm a BiG fan of Holley carbs...;)

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

hmmm...

then you said this...

I'm guessing you're confused as to where you are...

15. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

X2 - $35.00 for a new rebuild kit and that thing will run like a champ. You already own the carb why pay $250.00 + for a new Holley?

16. Larry T

Larry T

A 1850 Holley (600 CFM) is a square bore carb and will bolt on where an Edelbrock was. You'll have to move the throttle linkage/cable but that's about all. Maybe mess with transmission cable if it has one too.

Aren't the Edelbrocks rated at 625 CFM? I know they used to be.

17. vintage_car

vintage_car

not a forum that likes rats?

Attached Files:

18. God I love this manual! :D I had an auto tech instructor years ago that had the entire class drawing carb circuits like this from memory for our Fuel Systems tests. Once you study this stuff as individual circuits you begin to realize that carburetors aren't nearly as complicated as they seem. OK, maybe just a little complicated. :rolleyes:

But here's the real bonus. These circuits aren't just in Edelbrock and Carter carbs. You'll find the same stuff used in Rochesters, Holleys, Motorcrafts and on and on! :eek:

19. trilobyte

trilobyte
    from California

Only thing that I can think of is if you switch to a Holley, you might have to spend some time getting it all tuned to perfection, where if you got another Edelbrock, you could use the old one as reference.

20. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I notice you have a dial regulator. Turn it down a bit and see if that don't reduce or stop the seepage.

21. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

A lot of those dial type regulators are junk,the old FILT-O-REG's were good but the offshore copies are hit and miss like Mr.Gasket and Spectre both have a lot of negative feedback on Amazon ratings.Like mentioned above check the fuel pressure with a gauge to see if the regulator is OK.The area you show leakage from is common with Quadrajets and Holley shaft bushings but very rare on AFB's and Edelbrocks.This fuel line I like as it has a port for a gauge http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-29883/ then you can screw in a gauge http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3122/ I have used several in the past.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  22. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

just rebuild that thing....also,i thought you got banned for saying the r word?

23. Moose223

Moose223

Fuel pressure, simple rebuild on carb. And stick with the Edelbrock

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Bingo. :D

One more vote for Edelbrocks. Holleys may pump out a little more perfromance, but on the street and Edelbrock can't be beat. Super troublefree.

Don

25. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

+2 on the junk dial regulators. When i swapped my 2 bbl for a 1405, i bought the horror stories and added one. It stayed about 5 minutes. Removed it and my pressure gauge says 6 p.s.i. and everythings workin perfect.