Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Cadiallac Convertible Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grease4life, May 25, 2011.

1. grease4life

grease4life

So I marked around the pan of where clearance was needed. Out came the engine and cut out the section. Put the engine back in for a test fit and all was good but a little tight. Pulled it back out and trimmed another 1/2".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. grease4life

grease4life

I then re-supported with large L-bracket and then covered with sheet metal left over from the trunk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. grease4life

grease4life

Engine is back in and sits very nice. Next step is to fab up a trans cross-member for the mount and measure for fuel lines.

[​IMG]

4. aceuh

aceuh

5. deto

deto

I dig the engine swap. I know its not HAMB friendly but I have the same thing in the car in my avatar, with the EFI on it. If you have any questions feel free to PM me...

Nice ride dude.

6. bigbadcad

bigbadcad
    from ga

look into the gm LSX pan conversion, its what i used on my 58 and its only like 130 bucks. comes with screen, pickup and hardware. if you can't find let me know I have part number

7. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

8. grease4life

grease4life

Measured and ordered all the fuel lines this weekend. Also installed the gas tank and the bushings and bolts on the engine.

[​IMG]

9. grease4life

grease4life

I also swung by the steal yard on the way home from the weekend and picked up the square tubing and tabs needed to fab up the trans mount next time. Here is a shot of the whole engine bolted in with trans jacked up height it will be mounted. Looked funny without the radiator shroud boxing the whole package in, but I left it off for the pic.

[​IMG]

10. Foppa

Foppa

dang. great build..

11. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

cool! People are freaking over the engine need to chill out! Its a kustom and kustoms don't open their hoods!!!

12. Foppa

Foppa

i agree.. and so what if there's a modern engine in it? pretty sweet to ride your old car and dont have to worry about the engine breaking down..
    And you dont have to spend so much money on the fuel either..
    should be a reliable car to cruise in..

13. Looking killer

14. grease4life

grease4life

This hood is getting opened! Just finalizing custom order with Zoop's out of Beaumont CA and we are attempting to remove everything off the font of this engine and replace with new billet alternator bracket, relocate the power steering pump, and new water pump. Also got in, order of Holley. Here is a pic of the coil pack covers (valve cover look like) installed on another car. I am going to polish my own block and rework the center cover. The idea will be to have the 'valve covers' and engine cover color matched to the car and everything else shine. I think it will be pretty impressive despite the lack of a carburetor.

[​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.
  15. grease4life

grease4life

PS thanks for all the support, feedback and PM's with suggestions and help offers. This community of guys couldn't be a cooler bunch.

16. grease4life

grease4life

I can now officially say that and Escalade engine and trans is installed in my caddy! Here is the trans mount I fabbed up over the weekend:

[​IMG]

17. grease4life

grease4life

Here it is installed and everything bolted up:
    (Took about 4 pics and couldn't seem to get a good angle from under the car.)

[​IMG]

18. grease4life

grease4life

TIP'S, ADVICE, SUGGESTIONS?
    Well I'm nearing the point in my project where all the frame modifications will hopefully be complete. (Not taking granted of course the amount of work needed for the bags and drop to the front end still ahead.) I have been chewing on the idea of removing the body and giving the frame the proper re-coating I think she deserves. My friends have urged against the idea considering the amount of work that it will take could be spent else where on the car, on progress that people will actually see. Granted hoisting it up in the air as a whole and stripping everything I can may still accomplish much of the deed, I can't help to feel that a project at this point would be taking a short cut by not pulling the body... Any suggestions or experiences to share?

19. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

I'd vote for finishing all the rough in work and having a running/somewhat drivable car before you tear it all back apart for the shiny stuff.

You're experiencing "scope creep" in project management terms, which tends to derail schedules, budgets and project success :)

20. poncho55

poncho55

What a great build. Thanks for sharing.

21. cakes

cakes

Wow this is great, I love caddys, always have, this has the makings of a great cruiser

22. HEAVY100

HEAVY100

thats an amazing build

24. grease4life

grease4life

Got my harness back from being trimmed down and computer reprogrammed. I spent a couple hours wrapping with a few rolls of tape and split looming.

[​IMG]

25. grease4life

grease4life

Ron from RPM sent me the rack n pinion with custom adapter plates. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't tackle that particular project. He 30 years experience with these cars shows in his work!

[​IMG]

26. grease4life

grease4life

Also installed the fuel tank, ran the lines and fabbed up the new fuel filler neck using 57 chevy parts that will adapt well with the efi tank I'm using. Just had to do some trimming, grinding, welding and painting... Ran out of day light so I will post pic of finished product next time I'm there. Used the original bracket from the stock cad filler: (Drilling out spot welds)

[​IMG]

27. grease4life

grease4life

After hooking up power and all the wires to the engine, as well as the headers, I held my breath and turned the key. Nothing but a solenoid pop. I had charged the battery so as a last effort, pulled the starter and jumped it off my grand cherokee. Same result. I'm just glad it was the starter and not the engine that was froze. So here is the latest pic of everything in:

[​IMG]

28. grease4life

grease4life

These are the completed custom drop uprights that will bring the front end down 2.5 inches. Here they are with the template of my stock ones that I made for them to go off. I will post a pic of the spindle mounted up to one beside a stock setup once I pull the passenger side off next weekend..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  29. boomosby

boomosby

loving everypart of this build bro! i am doing the same conversion on a 59 cadillac. do you have any more detailed pictures of how the tub was dropped in?

also, great idea on how to transport your convertible parts!!!

30. grease4life

grease4life

When I started this build thread, I was at the point of starting on the rear end of the car so everything I had prior to the current detailed progress pics were just what I had on my cell phone or computer. I did the best I could to back track and document the progress up to this point but unfortunately taking pictures rarely crossed my mind until I had this reason to do so...
    Best of luck on your build and I can wait to see how it turns out!