Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 46 ford truck build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50'custom, Apr 19, 2012.

1. 50'custom

50'custom

This is my 46 ford project:
    46 cab,36 chevy master frame,87 4x4 s10 rear axle,37 chevy front axle,s10 t-5,61 283.
    I have had this project about 8 months but only been working on it for about 2.
    I chopped the top 4 inches,and shaved the cowl sides and blended the body line out to a point. I have been hesitant to post my build because I am not sure what category it falls into.I am CERTAINLY not building it into one of those R/R's
    Although it my look a little R'y I am trying to do it to a higher standard.I am on the fence with how to paint it,and hope for some help from the HAMB !
    I am thinking a red body with a gray hammerd finished frame,and plan to run steelies all around but dont know how to paint them up.Kinda hung up on how to do the engine as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. 50'custom

50'custom

I smoothed the dash out,and welded the glove box shut for a clean look.

Attached Files:

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I can't see the purpose of painting the frame a different color from the body...makes it look like:

1. Parts from 2 different cars.

2. You're going to bring the two together sometime in the future.

If you must use the 2 colors, why not do the body & frame in red, and the running gear in mainly the silver...with highlights (spindle bodies/backing plate inners) in red?
    Everything 'traditional' I see with a different color frame looks like a novice assembly.

GREAT choice of body & frame combo, by the way. Those '27-'36 Chevy frames have shape and are distinctive. (and they fit early Fords!)

4. 50'custom

50'custom

Thank you Atwater Mike for your response ! I see your point about the difference of color between the body,and frame.
    I was hopeful that the ford cab could work on the chevy frame,when I picked the 36 car up 4 hours away for the doors and I was also hoping to be able to utilize the frame for this project. My biggest concern is looking like another thrown together cookie cutter mess ! I sure like the black with red wheels and red interior but it's so overdone these days I dont wanna be just another.
    Any more thoughts/opinions ?

5. jazz1

jazz1

My neighbour just got his 46 Ford truck painted,,he has been working on it for 15 years,,he painted it shiny dark purple. Nova front clip with 302 2bbl, auto, late model impala rearend.. Power windows including the rear window. I am just passing some ideas...They are a really nice looking truck when completed,,,just not sure how many years it will take neighbour to reassemble and now he tells me couple guys want to buy it..
    I do like your idea of the hammered gray frame, something a little different. I like the chop,,chopped my first roof this winter,,something everyone should do at least once so they can appreciate the work that goes into it

6. Black Primer

Black Primer

I was expecting to see a cool jailbar truck.

7. 50'custom

50'custom

Sorry,no fenders. I didnt get any when I acquired the truck and since I was never planning on keeping it I built it without.
    Never was a fan of the bar grill trucks.

8. 50'custom

50'custom

I have gotten both doors installed with new hinges,and bearclaw latches although much like the body frame combo it's a mix of 36 chevy,and 46 ford parts ! Tomorrow's day will consist of getting my cab corners made,and a lower passenger door bottom.If I get my cab finished up in time I hope to plane the wood for my bed,and build the front bed mounts. By the end of the week I hope to have it back over at my shop to pull the body off to do brake lines,finish weld every thing permanent,and paint the frame. I still need to round up a bell housing,clutch kit,a way to actuate said clutch,a starter,and steering box.
    Lets see what tomorrow has for us !

9. How about a nice heavy flake metalic gold, with white tuck in roll interiour and chrome smoothies?
    Oh, and lotsa chrome if its in your budget.
    Go ask the photochop guys to do some diffrent renderings for you. They do some great work.

10. 50'custom

50'custom

That would be pretty sweet,but I never really was into the gold.....though I actually could picture it like you said and I love T&R !
    As far as chrome goes....I'm building on NO budget....just a bunch of parts I was collecting for the past 3-4 years and a few speedway orders from when there was a budget !!! So get it on the road,start my new job THEN start with the flashy,rumbling,shiny goodies !!

11. 50'custom

50'custom

So I built a couple patch panels,and cut and planed the slats from a 100 year old house to fit the bed.

Attached Files: