Register now to get rid of these ads!

1926 Morton & Brett OHV Head for 1926 Dodge engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zenndog, Mar 18, 2012.

1. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

I just wanted to post some pictures of a Morton and Brett Head my friend is running on his 1926 Dodge Banger. I thought people would find it interesting to see some close up pictures of a very rare speed part from the 20's for a non-Ford make. This head is on loan to Rich Fox by a collector in Hayward, CA and will be run at Bonneville in Rich's '29 ford roadster.

It has three exhaust ports, the center is for two #2 & #3 cylinders

[​IMG]

It has two intake ports shared by the #1 & #2, #3 & #4 cylinders respectively

Note the holes under the ports along the bottom edge of the head? Those are the spark plug holes, they enter the combustion chamber at a 90 degree angle. The combustion chambers are so tall that the plugs come right out on the side.

[​IMG]

Here a closeup of one of the intake ports. The head bolt runs through the center. Rich plugged the top of the hole and the stud ends inside the port so the nut and washer end up inside the port. Rich figured it was better than the entire stud running through the port.

[​IMG]

On the exhaust side there is a small "alcove" for the head bolt under the end ports.

[​IMG]

Here is the top of the head, Rich fabbed his own rocker shaft supports as the originals were missing. There are old repairs evident, apparently these heads had a habit of pulling out the rocker shaft supports. It seems the priginal setup had 4 pedestals to support the shaft. All the holes were plugged when Rich received the head.

[​IMG]

Here is the rocker arm assembly Rich fabbed, the rocker shaft and roller rockers were made by a professional shop, but Rich fabbed the plate and the pedestals. Sorry we don't have any shots of the original rocker arm setup.

[​IMG]

Here is the underside with the massive combustion chambers showing. The spark plugs are in so you can see how they mount to the head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a detail shot of one of the end chambers. The "bump" was added by Rich because the head as cast/machined originally left only .040 to seal between the head bolt and the combustion chamber. When preparing for final installation of the head to the engine we discovered that on the #4 cylinder the piston, which has a massive dome, was hitting the "bump" Rich had welded in so we needed to grind it down with the die grinder to give more clearance.

[​IMG]

The head has one water passage for outlet at the front of the head, Rich made a plate with an AN fitting to attach to the water pump system in his roaster.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the head on the engine. Note the water lines are connected. Inlet goes to the block and outlet through the head.

[​IMG]

I will get some pics of the valve cover.

For more information about Rich's build, here is a link

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,6487.0.html

Thanks for look'n, hope you found it interesting.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
    Stogy, Babyearl and bct like this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice upgrade on the rockers! Hope it runs well on the Salt! Bob

Attached Files:

Stogy and Babyearl like this.
  3. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Very interesting, much different than the M&B for the Model A.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Very cool, thanks for showing us.

Stogy likes this.

5. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Rich Fox has built some very interesting engines.

I have been around assisting with assembling this and It dawned on me that even though we see rare speed parts in posts, seldom do the pictures show us all the details very well.

Thanks for the adds 37

4 port, how about some pics, if you have any?

Glad everyone enjoys the photos.

Stogy likes this.
  6. Weasel

Weasel

This is the stuff that makes the Hamb so interesting and such a brilliant resource. Thanks for posting....

Stogy likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I really enjoy watching all the pieces of a puzzel fall together, so many stories start on the HAMB and something gets added. Then someone else has a part to add that was just floating around, and the story gets more envolved. Having collected sales literature for many years, it is nice to have a place to share it. Bob:)

Stogy likes this.
  8. RussTee

RussTee

Rich does a great job and I enjoy his posts on the banger thread.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

Neat piece! I love all the little details.

Stogy likes this.
  10. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Here is a pic of the head on the engine with exhaust roughed in

[​IMG]

11. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Are the 2 obviously skimpy vavle springs on one cylinder just for mock up or what, just curious? Great story though really enjoed reading/seeing all the detail, thnks.

Stogy likes this.
  12. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

terryble-Yes, Rich was checking for interference. They have since been removed and the head is torked down.

Stogy likes this.
  13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The two "Skimpy" springs (really the springs that go between rockers on a GMC) allow me to push the valve down as I rotate the engine over the top on the exhaust stroke. This tells me how much (if any) clearance I have between the exhaust valve and the piston as the valve closes and the piston comes up. Also the intake. But that would rarely cause interference. I like this better than clay which would still be necessary if interference is found.

Stogy likes this.
  14. terryble

terryble
    from canada

That is such a really cool tech tip I am going to try it the next time I'm degreeing or checking the rotating clearance on a cam! What are good sources for those springs?

Stogy likes this.
  15. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Zenndog, thanks for posting!

Does Rich have anything that isn't cool?:D

Stogy likes this.
  16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

They are just the standard springs found on most rocker shafts between the rocker arms. If all you do is SBC engines, you wont know what I am talking about. Mine came from a 302 GMC. But almost any rocker shaft engine will have plenty of them

Stogy likes this.
  17. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Not as far as I can tell

Stogy likes this.
  18. noboD

noboD

Zenndog, thanks for posting this about Rich. If you can read the advertisement '37 posted there are two versions of this head, one street and the other race. I'm guessing compression would be the differance. There's a '27 DB roadster from Petaluma, Ca. that's been in Hemmings Classic mag with a Morton and Brett head. It sounds more like an MG then a DB.

Stogy likes this.
  19. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Two versions, I wonder which the one on Rich's is? It is a race version now!

Stogy likes this.
  20. noboD

noboD

I never had a doubt!

Stogy likes this.
  21. Damn, That may be the coolest vintage non Ford speed part I have ever seen.
    Nice work on the rocker assembly.Great tip on the light valve springs
    for checking clearance.
    Those valves look big!

Stogy likes this.
  22. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Headers came back from being welded after I tacked them up. Next Rich will have them coated black.

Some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think they look good. The two holes drilled on the last picture are for the exhaust gas temp sensors.

23. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Here is photo of the page with the Morton & Brett exhaust manifold, from their Jan. 1929 catalog. The original M&B "Blue Book Of Speed" catalogue is over 30 pages illustrating all the heads (including the Dodge), bodies, racing parts and accessories, with full descriptions of each item.

Attached Files:

24. noboD

noboD

Do you have an extra or a copy to sell? I'm interested.

Stogy likes this.
  25. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Didn't see this thread 'til this morning, or would have PM'd you... Cleared out a bunch of car history stuff over the weekend, and put it all on the "bay." Closing next weekend. Same name, as here.

Stogy likes this.
  26. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Beyond "Way Cool"...way beyond!!!
    Thanks for posting the pics and the
    tech details!

Mart3406
    ==========

Stogy likes this.
  27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I would have really liked to bid on that sales brochure. But after spending as much as I have on the head I can't afford it.

Stogy likes this.
  28. determined

determined

i have a 1926 motor for sale dont hav any use for it r u interested wat is it worth

Stogy likes this.
  29. austinhunt

austinhunt

This is awesome! I have a 26 Graham Bros. I might just have to put the banger back in some day instead of dreaming about a ford flatty.

Stogy likes this.
  30. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

AustinHunt- I would say yes for sure, keep the original engine. Much more interesting. But possibly much more work, depending on what you want from it.

Stogy likes this.