Register now to get rid of these ads!

Snakes !!!!!! How Do You Get Rid Of Em ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirty2, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Oh yeah well I got my first one younger then that! A Red Ryder. I still have it somewhere.

Well, alright then I'll have to import one!! Didn't you say you wanted to move to Texas??:D

xxx
    Brandy

2. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Seeing as how I've spent thirty some years dinking with snakes and other critters on a professional level, I don't really consider a few snakes to be much of a hassle. Rather, I think of them as a gift. However, I realize I do not have the majority opinion.

Chances are you don't really have an infestation. I can't tell you how many times we in the zoo business get called to go find a snake someone just saw crawl under their cabinet or under their washing machine and after searching until we are blue in the face, we can't find it and it is never seen again. In fact, we don't go on those wild goose chases any more at our zoo and haven't for years. Seeing a snake skin definitely proves that a snake was present, but you may never see it or any trace of it again. Moth balls are supposed to discourage them and a lot of other unwanted critters, including skunks, believe it or not. I can't really tell you if they work or not. I can tell you that if I had a magic bullet snake repellent I could be a rich man. I suggest that you just don't stick your hands and feet where you can't see and the odds are very much in your favor that you won't be bothered by a snake. (Somehow I suspect that gives you very little comfort.)

3. HoldFast

HoldFast

WTF~~~~~~~

that's wrong. I think if I got stung on the balls I'd freak out man. Sheesh. That's old school for you. Real ranchers don't let anything get in the way.

I think I'm pretty tough when I need to be but damn....my boys are my boys...you know. Kind of important.

I saw a medical thing on the tele about a guy that got an infection and his boys filled up with funk. it wasn't pleasant.

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Shit, we're overrun with snakes in Florida, they're everywhere, most aren't poisonous, the water ones will fuck up your day though.

Back when my little girl was two or three I was showing her the miracle of nature, i.e a black snake in the bushes (totally harmless) when my old man appeared and proceeded to beat the poor fella to death with a broom.

I think my young 'un's still scarred for life.

The answer is a broom, that's right beat 'em to death with a broom.

5. hey crew,

I should point out - my stance is totally pro conservation. snakes are a really important part of any diet, i mean ecosystem and they control a huge amount of native and imported pests. if you really need to get rid of it, call someone in and take the snake away.

Danny

6. Dirty2

Dirty2

Thanks for all the help !!! I stoped by the feed store and they give me some sulfer. They said snakes wont cross sulfer. I am also getting some golf balls. My friend at the feed store said it is prob. a chicken snake.

7. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

they have copperheads in australia?

are they the same snakes we sometimes also call Cottonmouthes?

8. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

what if hes in the shop when you put the sulfer down.... then he wont leave:D

9. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Moth balls!!!!! Yeah they seem to work, if you can get around the mothball smell around the shop for a bit. Go buy a small box a sprinkle them about outside around the shop. I've heard about cats, but the downside is the cat pisses on you seats.

Try the mothballs.

10. jaybee

jaybee

True that they're excellent for controlling bugs, mice, and other things you don't want to have around. That said they creep most people out, some more than others.

I haven't seen one yet that could win a battle with a lawn mower or fast-moving garden hoe.

I usually just let them crawl away. My wife usually kills them and then calls me to dispose of the remains. She says I'm in charge of dead things.

11. Run as fast as you can away from them thats what I do!

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Times like this I remember a Tex Smith story about a rattlesnake in a Model A gas tank out in the desert. Guess thinks should be taped closed so mice and whatever can't get in. One good thing about snakes, they don't eat upholstery, do they?

13. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

Just start the sedan,that loud s.o.b. should scare it off!!:)

14. scarylarry

scarylarry

Seems everyones running to TX these days. Yeah, PA is cold and nasty in the winter, but I got no snakes and scorpions crawling in my shop, no hurricanes, giant forest fires, earthquakes, mudslides, and none of those odd cars that only Florida can produce. I get rid of snakes by just staying here and putting up with winter.

15. The Shocker

The Shocker

Dont worry poisonous snakes cant hurt you, unless they bite you.Dont get bit and you should be alright.

16. KustomF100

KustomF100
    from Joliet, IL

We have an occasional snake come for a visit here.I am not afraid to say that I hate them with a passion.I usually bludgeon them with a shovel.Fairly effective.

On a similar note since scorpions were mentioned,while at the SEMA show one year,we were staying on the 19th floor of the Stardust.Heading off to dinner,I just happen to notice something strange on the multi-colored carnivalish carpeting.Yup,a scorpion.We scooped it up in an ice bucket and brought it to the front desk.Bein a midwesterner,I always thought they were all poisonous,maybe deadly.The manager says "It won't kill you,just make you very sick"....what a relief,lmao.He said they probably came up on a tool box since they were doing repairs.I hope to never see one in my bed out there.That would ruin my day.

17. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Australia's copperheads are not related to our copperheads and cottonmouths at all. They are members of the cobra family rather than the viper and pit viper family. Australia is the only continent where venomous snakes outnumber harmless snakes.

18. Some of you guys are amazing. Big tough hoodlum hotrodders afraid of a snake.
    I can understand being afraid of a poisonous one, but killing a harmless snake makes no sense.
    If theres a snake around, its because its food is around. Bushes, woodpiles, junk piles, grass, buildings, OLD CARS, all harbor the small critters they eat, as well as provide shelter for the snakes.
    If you live in an area with snakes, why not educate yourselves a bit on what they look like, and which to avoid?
    By all means if you must kill a rattler or other deadly snake do it if necessary.

I wish I had more around here to get rid of the mice, squirrels and rabbits.

Snakes dont want anything to do with you. The ones that are dangerous bite out of self defense.

My .02

19. A:You need to spend more time in the shop-snakes hate company

B::p plenty of mouse bait to kill their lunch- [starve a snake- kill a mouse].....WIN WIN situation -huh?

20. Snakes are our misunderstood friends. Show them some love. They prefer to be left alone so don't go sticking your hands and feet where you can't see.

I have to say that treeclimbing/fall into your boat CottonMouths are creepy.

Hahaaha! This is a good topic. I can feel the flopsweat.

I really like racers and whip snakes. Corn, Rat, and Indigo too. These are all big consumers of rats and mice.

I just remembered that an old friend from long ago time had a business to remove rats and snakes from buildings. He had some Jack Russell Terriers and some Ferrets. Get a Ferret! He had some interesting stories.

By the way Scorpians will glow when a black light is shown upon them. Always empty out your bootsbefore putting them on when in Scorpian Territory.

21. Dirty2

Dirty2

I will just watch closser, the only problem is my almost 3 year old daughter is always with me !!!! So I will hold up on golf balls and such, I have noticed I havent seen any rats or mice . Dont snakes crap or something so you could see where they have been ?

22. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This stuff does the trick. It's part of my toolbox when I'm out in rattlesnake country looking for old cars and parts. I use a double action revolver. This shot doesn't ricochet like long rifle ammo and it's easier to dig out of your toe if you shoot to close.

overspray

Attached Files:

23. striper

striper

A local old boy gave me one of his shotguns he didn't need anymore. That's my preferred method of scaring the little fellas away. BUT while I was there he showed me another good method. Apparently snakes (in Aust anyway) generally travel along a shed wall, fence or other structure. You get some bird netting from the hardware store, tangle it and sort of pull it into long lengths and lay it along those walls etc. Snake goes in, netting pulls tight as he travels along and they have no reverse. Snake stuck. Now you can......relocate it.

I have one of these set up near my woodpile. Don't know if they work 'cause I haven't caught one yet. Not too disappointed.

Pete

24. Rusty

Rusty

I second that. IF you did alittle cleaning around there you could probably find it. I quess I wont be going to your shop anytime soon. Why could it have not found a home in that flathead you got rid off.

25. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

you can go put those in the ex-wifes mailbox :D

26. FuelFC

FuelFC

Ain't skeert. I'll come and get rid of it for you if you need.

It will be relocated not dispatched if that makes anyone feel better. Unless of course it is good eating size. That';s a joke, well........yeah a joke.

Unfortunately my wife is not to keen on snakes and we had to relocate a few my little buddies recently. I sure hope you shop isn't located close to my house. LOL. Had one rat snake 4 feet long and one diamond back water snake measure in at 40".

Most (I said most) are harmless but I understand your fears especially with the little one. She is way too cute to get bit even by a harmless one.

Rat snakes are good for the property. Diamond back water snakes will scare the carp out of about everything but are harmless.

Here is a pic of Jake the rat snake and Elwood just well looks like a diamond back rattler without the rattle and a little paler in color. Both are now living in a nice clear ranch field about two miles from the house.

Attached Files:

27. Dirk35

Dirk35

Clean and mow. If the snake deal is of importance to you, you will either mow, get the owner to mow, and clean up hidey spots. It seems pretty simple to me.

We get occasional snakes due to living in the country and feild mice come in when it gets close to winter. The poision never seems to work, but those glue traps are great! Ill hear them squeaking trying to get free. Pick up the plastic glue tray and BB gun. Toss him in the trash. Too easy! The glue traps are the BOMB!

How about lizards? I have a wall next to my garage that was infested with a little black beetle with red markings. The bastards were everywhere and would fly on me when working on the truck. Id take the lysol can and Cigg lighter, and stary spraying, kill about a hundred at a time. Then, about a year ago, I noticed a small lizard, kinda brownish in color. Now, he is a big fat lizard (I guess he was really a she) and we have a couple of small baby lizards I see on occasion. They run lik emad when they see me, and when he doesnt get out of the way, I just give him a little swish with my feet and off he goes. No more beetle thingys either!!

28. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

On land we have a boatload of poisonous snakes, in the water we have most kinds of sharks. We also have scorpions in west TX as well as many kinds of poisonous spiders. It's why the motto is Don't Mess With Texas. LOL But much like snakes, we're real friendly if you don't jack with us and the ladies are really nice to look at. ;) :)

29. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

Hey Dirty, you could hire this snake exterminator guy. I hear he does a hell of a job:

[​IMG]

30. FuelFC

FuelFC

You can mow the shit out of the place but if you have toads and lizards and things for the snakes to eat they will come. You can live in the best neighborhoods they will come.

If it is dry they seek water. It has been real dry and I find them in the pool strainers, next to the drain ditch, and in my pussy neighbors yard cause he is the only idiot who waters 6 days a week. Calls me to come and remove little garden snakes swimming in his puddles.

You can live in a dirt and asphalt field and still have snakes. Mowing does help for the major areas and makes it safer at night cause that is when they like to move. BTW Rat snakes like to hang in trees at night and go after birds. So look up too!

Also they like to live in drain lines, water boxes, under slabs, holes in the ground, under wood piles, under sheds, cars .............anywhere cool and damp.

I got rid of em cause they were hurting the lizard population and of course the sound of the wife screaming is truly something special to behold. She scared the shit out of me over a damn garden spider. So snakes are the pinnacle.