Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **Malcolm Model A Roadster Build**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks, Matt! It's a Hallock type windshield made by Steve Sellers.

2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Hallock.. Gotta remember that. I confuse the two. At least I got the guy right. ;)

Thanks.

3. Brandi

Brandi

Keep up the great work, Nick!

4. Looks good Nick! You gonna run a remote oil filter or will a shorty fit?

5. Greezy

Greezy

Your little hot rod is coming right along, looking good Nick. When I was reading about your valve cover find I was half expecting to scroll down and see some stamped steel FIA valve covers.

6. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

For headlight mounts.......search 'Grimlok' headlights........on his modified the looked great. Oh yea, Go! Man! Go! & if you have kid's your time will go away.......trust me on that.

Chris

7. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

I've been following this thread for a while now and I love it! Just awesome.

8. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks, Chris!
    I need to pick up a shorty filter to see if it'll fit (might be tight!). If not, I'll unfortunately have to run a remote filter.

Thanks, Troy -- good to hear from you!
    I actually had to look up FIA valve covers to see what they are --- A pair of those and the engine to go with them would be awesome! :)

Thank you, Chris!

10. Nick, I really like this garage shot....Very cool!

11. Nick, I took a pic of a Ford filter that was about 1.5" long a couple of years ago. It had the NAPA part number on it. If you need one that short, I'll find the pic. The one that I use in the 32 fits my Dakota Rt and a Charger 3.5 v6. I use to buy them by the case because they fit everything we had. That soon changed.

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks --- I'll have to look up the regular short filter you are talking about and see if it fits. Hopefully it does!

13. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Over this past weekend I took the Roadster to my buddy Jason's garage. His Model A Coupe is posted earlier in this thread and our brakes are similar so we decided to plumb the brake lines in both cars at the same time, side-by-side. He has a nice brake flaring tool and a couple brake line/tubing benders and pliers that made the project much easier to do. It was a learning process for me and another step in the right direction! Again, thanks a ton, Jason!

[​IMG]

This is also the first time the two cars have been 'rollers' side-by-side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. kisam

kisam

Looks great Nick! Are you going to blow it apart for paint or go???

15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks, Kathy! Since it's already May 7th I'm just going to keep working towards getting it running/driving. Will work out the bugs this summer/fall and tear it apart for paint and finish work after that.

16. sololobo

sololobo

What a blast seeing these two rods together! Gold stars for you both and puttin Omaha on the map for sweet hotrods. Atta Boys!! I am knocked out! ~sololobo~

17. Deadbird

Deadbird

Looking good Nick. I'll be interested to know how that rear suspension works for you. Looks pretty cool. Nice and simple. Keep it up bud!

18. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

You are really doing a hell of a job on this thing, looks great! I just bought some of those short filters for my Y block, they fit the SBF too. They're napa #1335.

19. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Hey Nick and Jason those things are awesome. Jason is probably thinking he's going to get the mileage of a hybrid with that fe.

No offence Jason I wish it was mine!

20. 63Compact

63Compact

Looks great front on with the A shell, go man go. Cant wait to see it on the Salt.

21. Looking great Nick!

You boys are going to be styling for sure!!!

Those 5 speeds are going rule on the road!!

TJJ on iPhone

22. Love your car Nick but I also like your buddy's with the FE and a T-5. Pretty cool side by side. ;)

23. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

that 1/4 elliptic rear suspension is super dope.

24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Little update ...

The front end is mostly assembled.
    I welded 'sleeves' through the wishbones for the spring perches. Once the car is together and down on the ground I'll trim the tubes and perches and weld them to the wishbones.

Installed the king pins and needle bearings (Speedway kit)
    Packed the wheel bearings and assembled the brakes.
    May not look like much, but it all takes time and is certainly a step the right direction!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Looking great. With the spring perches going through the wishbone, what will you be doing with that hole on top of the perch going through the axle? Shock mounts?

26. Nick, looking good but I only saw a couple of the shots on Facebook. A couple thoughts, you will hate the Hushpowers especially with the turnouts under you like that. And the way those aluminum residuals are hung is asking for issues. For one, teh aluminum ones WILL leak, ditch them for ECI brass ones. And two, mount them with some support. In the breeze like they are they will work the tubing to a fail point. Most likely just between SLC and Wendover!@

27. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Matt,
    I'll either replace those perch pins with smooth ones or cut that loop off the top. Seems like true traditional builds sometimes use those and that loop is for a shock link/mount? Might be better off not cutting them up and someone can use them for their intended purpose.

My lower shock mounts will be down by the spring perch.

Trent,
    thanks for the pointers. The exhaust will probably be a bit annoying, especially being right below my ears. I figured I'd try it out this way and could add tailpipes at some point.

I do have a line clamp tying the two brake lines together near the residual valves and agree that another support should be added to secure them in place.

28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

A little more progress this weekend ...
    Welded lower radiator mounts in place and picked up a pair of upper support rods, which need to be shortened and re-threaded.

Also figured out the lower shock mounts, welded them on the bottom side of the spring perches, and welded the spring perches and tubes/sleeves into the 'bones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

looks great nick!

30. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I like how you mounted the the shocks. Do you have a part # for them? I have 3 or 4 different shocks and I am not happy with any of them.