Register now to get rid of these ads!

T Buckets and transmission kick down

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Apr 23, 2012.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay, I recently installed a new th350 tranny in my T. I didn't connect the kick down, just plugged it. I've never hooked it up and the reason was that somewhere (don't know where) I heard that in a light car like a T, when it shifts down to 2nd and back up to 3rd (like passing someone), things can get squirrely. While this does sound cool, it doesn't sound safe. So, is it true that having it hooked up in a T is unsafe?

2. butch27

butch27

Fred: Mine is hooked up but I've never used it. Too scared.LOL

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

4. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

If that would scare you in a T - you shouldn't be driving one - lets see what you got and what your running in it.

5. One Finger John

One Finger John

As has been said before, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Hook it up, see what happens. What trans did you have in there before? Also, show us pictures of the install and finished project.

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That is preposterous. Hook it up and see what happens on a lightly traveled road. YOU decide what's squirrelly or not.

7. 06 pitbull

06 pitbull
    from GA

I never installed 1 on mine.. usually if I want to shift down I manually do it..

8. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Stab it and steer it! Speed is fun! I've gone 120mph on a Kawasaki 750 street bike and 150mph in a L88 vette. Ready to go again! FUN,FUN,FUN!

9. JOHNPO

JOHNPO

I had a 27 t glass body 350 350 horse turbo 350 10 bolt pos 3.55 gears with kick down hooked up… would kick it down all the time when it would get a little squirrelly I would let off and never had any close Calles. Total performance would highly recommend not using kick down on your t

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

hahah Great responses. Engines a mild 305sbc with a th350. Non-posi rearend. The fear would come in if it tends to go sideways. She'll try to go sideways, if I launch hard, but I just steer it straight. The concern would be for the cars around me.

[​IMG]

11. Mine is hooked up...a 27 track t,327 8v with a turbo 350,man its fun,not too outta control.Unless a squirrel is driving.

12. JOHNPO

JOHNPO

Well you could always hook it up take it for a ride see how it feels if you no like unhook it. What size tires in the rear?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

.....I love that car.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I understand where you are coming from on this one, Fred. Things can happen REAL fast in a short wheelbase, light, high hp car. If you have never driven a T bucket it is hard to relate.

My old 23 was essentially the same package you are talking about, 350 Vortec, and th350 trans. One time I pulled out to merge with traffic and kicked it a little hard and when it upshifted from 1 to 2 the rear end came around to the right and I was sliding sideways across 3 lanes of traffic. :eek: I think one slick bit before the other and threw me sideways. The cars behind me were braking hard to get out of my way.......it could have been ugly.

On that car I never had hooked up the kickdown and really never needed it. Just opening up the carbs was enough to accelerate as fast as I wanted to go.

Don

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

275/60r/15

Thanks Pete. I still have the grill you gave me. Reminds me to look out for cops. haha

Don, that's what I do now, but sometimes I just wonder what it would do. And it was Total that I read that about not doing it. I think it was in the build Street Rodder did.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  16. One Finger John

One Finger John

Fred, did you pull the body off to change transmissions?

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yes, with no available lift, it's the only way. After disconnecting the electrical that passes through the body, it takes 2 people about 10 minutes. I've done it myself, but it's a real pain. In the neck, back and ass.:D

18. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The key word in this story is "slick". The tranmission downshift may not have been a problem with street legal tires.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Wouldn't the weight also be a factor or not? Someone on another forum reminded me that heavier cars would need the kick down, light cars not so much.

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

They are DOT approved slicks........Firestone 10.00 x 15 cheaters. My 27 has regular L78 x 15 tires on the back and it has gotten squirrelly on me too, in fact, the slicks on the 23 were better in some respects.

Don

21. JOHNPO

JOHNPO

I was running 18.5...But i also had a set 265 70 15..better on the back 18.5 would hook up for the most part 70-15 would just spin...

22. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

I built a T in the 80's and I had the kickdown hooked up. Go ahead and hook it up. You can adjust them to where you want it too kick down. If you have a problem you can always take it back off.

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, I'm not going to spring for fat tires. It's a cool look, just not for me... cost wise and looks considered. All the comments hold water and I have food for thought. On a lone stretch of highway, I wouldn't care. But I'd hate to pose a problem in traffic. Keep the inputs coming. Certainly, I'm not the only person who's considered this.

Also, would having it hooked up improve transmission performance or longevity?

24. 06 pitbull

06 pitbull
    from GA

I run a 29x18.5x15 mickey Ts sportsman pro./.. wrinkle wall .. thay wont spin...I need more motor:D

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Fred, the other thing you can consider doing is just move the shifter down into 2nd . That way you have more control over how much throttle you are giving it. That is all the kickdown is doing but to engage it your foot has to be a little deeper into the firewall and that is where the unwanted reaction might happen.

Don

26. JOHNPO

JOHNPO

Beautiful car by the way!!!love the classic t headers has a nice clean look...

27. JOHNPO

JOHNPO

I found them to be hard on my back but thats part of the game..

28. stromberg

stromberg

I'm glad I read this, I'm just hooking up the linkage and getting ready to get my 23 on the road soon. I was thinking about not hooking up a kickdown as well. Now I think I will leave it off and just drop it in 2nd if needed.

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yea, that's beginning to look like the plan. Congrats on getting your '23 on the road soon. The nice days are a callin'.:)

30. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

My sedan has the old 350/350 setup. The kickdown is not hooked up and shifting down to 2nd when needed (seldom) suits me just fine. Unless you're going real slow you probably won't need to downshift. I realize a 305 has a little less torque, but your bucket is also lighter.