Register now to get rid of these ads!

Only Kustom bumpers !!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JAKE'S-Pumpkinella54, Nov 11, 2011.

1. doing some stuff to my 54 chevys front bumper today ... turned it into a 1 peice, filled all the holes, rear mounted it and lowered it . But it got me wondering why can't i find threads on kustomized bumpers ...??? lets see if some one can post a link . I swear i used the search .. and only found 1 . prove me wrong . thanks guys . . ps thanks for your service to those guys out there

2. Here's mine.

Sectioned and filled 49 Hudson bumper ends, filled 51 Hudson center section, 3 pc bumper seamed into a 1 pc bumper. 52-53 Hudson horse collar.

[​IMG]

3. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  4. 40sketter

40sketter

hey damagedduck... top shelf on ur car nice job

5. hudson that one sexy car !

6. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

WOW I always loved the Hudsons, yours is awesome! nice job.

7. there has to me more shots of building a bumper... really .

8. This is the only other one I have at the moment...It's in the back. The bumper in the front is the front bumper on the car, which was also filled.

Attached Files:

9. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Fun one-[​IMG]61 impala, split ,lowered 1" , frenched in custom pans.
    we did the fronts too, no pan, and with the stock jog toward the middle. Can't find pics.
    [​IMG]

10. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

wow, that belongs in a calender.

Gorgeous car!

11. im not mad just upset at the last of participation. jake ... ok come on . links . techs ..

12. anyone . ?? come on share .

13. desotot

desotot

I think the hudson pic hijacked your thread

[​IMG]

14. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

I have a pair of these (from an old car grille guard)....I think they would make a GREAT custom bumper....good chrome, good for a driver or re-chrome for show....stan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  15. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Jake, where are your pics? I want to do mine soon too. Mine are Cali 1-piece anyway, but I want to get rid of the bolts and weld in the 49 License surround. Want to add some through-bumper exhaust with some cool bezels

16. lol i just turned my front into a 1 piece and sliced 2 inches out of it ... way more to come .

17. I'm gonna try to bump this for my west coast pal up late

18. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

I was thinkin' it belongs in my garage.

19. Squablow

Squablow

I just got done doing the front one for my '52 Ford, shaved studs, welded up the license plate holes and redrilled for a bracket so the plate sits where I want it, and heavily modified brackets so it'll sit lower, but I won't have pics until it's back from the chrome shop. I also had to split it and make it join back together in the center because the chrome shop that's doing it couldn't fit it into their tanks in one piece.

I'll post pics when I have it back, promise. A TON of work goes into doing all that, what a pain in the ass job that turned out to be. Should be worth it, but I had no idea how much effort that takes.

20. Im going to be using a 51' Ford front bumper on my 53' dodge pickup. Holes will be filled and the bumper will be streched alittle to fit.

Heres a mockup picture!

[​IMG]

Justin

21. ok here is one that my friend Matt Townsend did for my mercury. It is a 54 bumper shortened and tweaked to fit the 51 mercury. Hope this helps

Attached Files:

22. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Here's a couple shots of my '55 Caddy's front bumper...narrowed 2 1/2 inches, welded back together, smoothed and chromed.

[​IMG]
    Cut...

[​IMG]
    Painted silver to see how it was going to look...

[​IMG]
    Chromed and done.

But the rear took the most work...I used the stock '55 Caddy center section, filled in the license plate uprights and then welded on a '59 Caddy front bumper license plate box. Note I even had to add to that to make it abit deeper.

[​IMG]

Then I used a pair of '48/'49 Caddy rear bumper pieces and welded them on...

[​IMG]

Adding those was the hardest part, the '48's were a bit wider at the lower rear section...and getting it all to fit and look like something took a lot of work.

[​IMG]

But, I got it all welded up solid and relatively smoothed out.

Once I had it all welded solid, I cut off the leading edge of the stock '55 Caddy bumper end and added it to the early Caddy end to fill the stock gap.

[​IMG]

That took some work as well...because at the bottom, I had to force the metal to match up and then trim it slightly...

A little grinding, a little filling and then the finish...

[​IMG]

Looks like it was made for it from the factory, right...??? That's the way a "kustom" job should look.

You can see about 36 pages of the build of my '55 Caddy by going here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

R-

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  23. wow ... thats what i am talking about !!!!!!!!! more please .

24. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

25. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

Not full on Kustom, but sectioned and trimmed to fit:

1952 Desoto bumpers on a 52 Chevy....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. iron infantry

iron infantry

Im wondering how to go about all this, what kind of prep work should be done to get it ready for chrome. i was gonna ask my local chrome shop but since i saw this thread i figured i ask here and you guys look like you know what your doing.

27. fifty 2 thanks ... this thread is moving thanks to all of ya . much needed

28. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

First, plan a bank heist. <label for="rb_iconid_10">[​IMG]</label>

29. 40StudeDude.....WOW awesome bumpers!

Here's my rear bumper for my PU, welded the bolt holes closed and added a 49 Chebby front license guard, a simple bumper but still a pain in the a$$ to do.

Attached Files: