Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What us trad rodders were doing in the 70's...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think this "car thing" is just a phase I'm going through.

Attached Files:

2. I seldom don't have a good time. I do remember a few times when the lumps were not as exciting as they make them in the movies though.

I remember once I came back to the bay area from an adventure and got into a beef with Paul in a bar. I guess this fella was going to do Paul a favor and smacked me just below the ear with a pool que (sp?). Not a good decision, Paul is my brother and he's as big a tree. He had me under the arm pit with one hand and the fella with the stick in his other. He was saying, "get up and whup this guy Benno."

After the dust settled he put me on my bike and we went to his place. Mrs Paul kept poking the bump and saying, "Maaan that looks like that hurts."I don't recall how long that went on but she finally doctored me. ;)

The next morning she fed me than informed me that she broke my '46 and could I fix it so she didn't have to ride the bus to work.

Good friends, that was a lot of what the '70s was for me. Making good friends.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  3. Igosplut

Igosplut

I'm always amazed how pictures of my 66 Nova end up on these sites....

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

This 36 with the jacked up look was built in the late 60's But was at the 1972 Detroit National. This was after a quick clean up,.. it was a real barn find that was in storage for about 26 years.

This was the day it came out of the barn,..... With slotted dish wheels and wide ovals.
    [​IMG]

And just before I sold it.
    [​IMG]

5. Harm
    This is going to make me a little less trad but I could have lived with the '36 pretty much the way you found it I am afraid. Maybe it would have had to have had a monster to go with the stance but those are available.

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

It had a Ford 289/C-4, 9" ,.. The front crossmember was so screwed up,.. I pulled it out and made a new one out of 3/16" plate,... I was going to make some lowering blocks for the rear. But never got around to it.

7. yea it needed to be down a bit in the rear to go woth the front in the after pic. Of course that would take away from the whole '70s up in the rear vibe I suppose. :D:D

8. Deuces

Deuces

Ok, so what happened to Rocky???...

9. cavemag

cavemag

That sounds like it'd be absolute hell.

10. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

11. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

12. Larry T

Larry T

Don't for one second think those big old Plymouths wouldn't run a hole in the wind with 440 Police Interceptors in them.
    Larry T

13. They would run past ya so fast that you had to grab onto something to keep from getting sucked up in the tail wind, that is for damned sure.

I sure wish I had a couple of the old hoopties that I let go in that era. Lots of times I remember just getting a car or a truck becuase I was stuck for the winter somewhere. Runnin' the wheels off of it and letting it go for what I gave for it once the weather cleared.

The only car I ever hung onto for any length of time was the ol '46. it stayed at someone's house while I was gone and I would pay it some attention when I was home. That poor old car was in a constant state of flux. Lifted, lowered, racked, modern drivetrains, old caddy power. It never really seemed to care as long as it got some attention.

14. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD2uj66f-c8

I remember when they started dumping them here about the time I got out of high school in 79-80. I should've bought 3 or 4 of them.

15. slim tempo

slim tempo

In my mind I'm still there...

Attached Files:

16. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

Killer youtube link. Thanks! I didn't intend on watching it all, but it sucked me in. Shame the sound was lost, but still way cool.

17. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

What a blast from the past, the yellow Charger at the top of the page looks exactly like my first Mopar. Air shocks, shackle extensions and tires hanging out of the wheelwells were cool as hell...

18. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Interesting that you got a shot of my late 70's built Essex in this thread! :)
    [​IMG]

The bucket parked next to mine was built in the mid 80's. It used to be yellow with typical 80's graphics all over it.

Oh yeah...I'm the dude in the shorts playing pocket-pool. :p

19. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Here's what the truck looked like in '79...
    [​IMG]

The guy who built the Essex also built this '67 Plymouth Belvedere II as his daily driver. You can't see the red crushed velvet seat inserts. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He still owns the Plymouth and has restored it to a GTX clone...
    [​IMG]

20. OK this is a little embarrasing but I really like this fire bird. :eek:
    [​IMG]

And the wife wants one of these old VW busses so she can build herself a gsniune hippy van. Of course she wants me to soup it. :eek:

[​IMG]

Where ya findin' all those old pics Rocky? I hope that these are not in your archives.

21. Love those 70's Cutlass's, my parents had 2 when i was a tike.

24. I remember in the muscle car days the camaros not being too much in demand ... and the firebirds even less .... both too loose in the rearend .... goats and chevelles were the hot ticket ..... but nobody would pass up owning any fast car

25. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  26. my first car was a 68 firebird allways have had a soft spot for 67-68's and 70-73's id own another in a heartbeat the one pictured above is too cool theres a 70 t/a in the latest issue of high performance pontiac magazine thats got a cool 70's style strobe stripe down its side

27. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Guilty as charged!!

[​IMG]

and what it looks like today...

[​IMG]

28. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

I think that enough time has passed, that we can now appreciate a paint job like what's on this Whittier Blvd. cruiser.

:cool::rolleyes:;):)

Just Google image search...Benno

29. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Damn Cool! Get those Cragars back on, and hit the streets!

30. Dog dishes ..... thats a hella keeper hemiman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.