Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1947 Ford COE Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4Nines, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4Nines

4Nines
    from TX

[​IMG]

Hello people of the H.A.M.B!

I've got a cool new build that I'm working on and I thought I would post it up here for y'all to checkout.

I'm relatively new to the COE truck world and I will probably need a LOT of advice as I go through this build. Hopefully there will be a few folks here who can point me in the right direction :)

So here's the scoop, I recently picked up this clean COE and I want to make it just nasty and mean! My plans are to chop, channel and bag it. I'm also planning on shorting the frame up and running about a 10'+ flatbed on it to haul my race car and motorcycles from time to time. I want it to lay frame and just look mean as hell rollin' down the road. I've also sourced a 496 ci motor that I think will go perfectly behind the cab.

Here's the truck:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a couple of questions right off the bat that I need help with:

The tires currently on the truck are shot and I need at least 4 tires that will fit on the old 20'' rims that will hold air. So far I haven't had any luck tracking any down here in Austin, TX. Does anyone know where I might have any luck finding some old used or retreaded tires so that I can get this sucker rolling?

Any ideas what the lug pattern is for these old 5 lug 6x20 rims are?

Should I even mess with the stock drums or just swap them out altogether? If I were to swap them what would my options be?

If anyone has any info that would help me it would be greatly appreciated!

I will keep everyone posted of the progress and I'm sure I will have more questions as things develop :)

chipfaced likes this.
  2. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Welcom sweet COE! Sounds like a fun project. Now if you would be so kind and do an intro in the Inroduction sticky at the top of page before the hamb police get ya.Have fun!

3. 4Nines

4Nines
    from TX

And here I thought I was forum savvy. I looked for an Intro section, just didn't realize it was a sticky post. I will go look for it now :)

hfh likes this.
  4. There's a FaceBook "Cabover Cult" that you might like to check out. Couple hundred COE nuts there.

5. 4Nines

4Nines
    from TX

I will look that up now :)

6. 4Nines

4Nines
    from TX

7. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. 4Nines

4Nines
    from TX

Joined! I will check that out as well.

9. Welcome to the HAMB.
    See you in the COE group.
    Your truck looks like a pretty nice start.

10. Welcome fellow COE owner. If you want to go real low and especially to have better driving and stopping, put it on a late model frame. My 49 Ford COE is on a 74 GM reg cab 1-ton frame and has about 10 ft custom flatbed that I built. If you want to haul a car you need longer than 10 ft bed. A common chassis for a car hauler is the GM crew cab dually pickups. A single wheel can work, but most use dually for better load capability.

I would not mess with the old suspension and tires, brakes and other drivetrain parts. If you want it low and plan to drive any distance, the later model chassis is the best solution. Mid-engine with engine behind the cab is a good diea, but it will require a removable box to cover the engine or ramp style flatbed. A longer wheelbase to start such as the crew cab is going to give you sufficient room for a driveshaft. Mine is too short of wheelbase to do mid-engine, my COE has the engie under the cab with a large engine cover inside like a van has. I run a 350 SBC.

Here is mine, chopped 4 inches, and air bags on front. Flipped axle on back.
    [​IMG]

mgtstumpy and richard price like this.
  11. manyolcars

manyolcars

I think anyone who comes on the hamb and says 'lay frame' should be banned.
    Traditional hotrods and customs do not 'lay frame'.

12. BTW, I drive on the highway at 75 mph and take my COE on many long trips. Just takes a bit of gas money at 10-11 mpg. It has been to Bonneville Speedweek the past 5 years and most likely will drive it again this year unless I take something else.

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Always wanted one of those. back in the 70s there were 3 COE Fords in a vacant lot near my home here in Pasadena. One day they were gone but there aren't any COEs running around Pasadena that I know about.
    Can't wait to see your project progress.

14. 4Nines

4Nines
    from TX

Thanks for all the info! I've actually been following your build and truck for the last couple of months now :)

Yeah, after much research last night I decided to ditch all the old axles, brakes, rear end, flathead, etc. It's not going to go to waste however. I'm going to save all the suspension, wheels and two-speed rear end, engine and I'm going to use it all on a full little T-Bucket rat rod project :cool:

I've sourced a running 496 big block and Ford F-250 brakes and rear end with a 8 on 170 bolt pattern. This should make it WAY easier to get the stance that I want and still keep it safe when I decent to let that big block eat :D

Not too worried about the bed since my race car on weighs 1,300 lbs and is less than 10' long:

[​IMG]

Do you have any photos of your suspension or bag setup?

15. 4Nines

4Nines
    from TX

Got a lot more work done over the weekend!

Sourced the new front and rear axles, removed the radiator, removed the old front and rear axles and prepped the engine to be removed early this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. fordsbyjay

fordsbyjay
    from Lafayette

17. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

18. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

A 496 is a wide engine.

A COE is a narrow cab.

I have a inline 6 in mine and it is tight! (84 Chevan chassisand steering, stock)

I removed the inner fender panels and installed a flat panel in place of the curved one.
    I also cut the cab structure in the foot area to make it 2" wider.

19. Steverod

Steverod

also subcribed, but i prefer them stock

20. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Inside floor

Attached Files:

21. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Before and after

opp's, Some how I forgot how to upload pics.

22. 4Nines

4Nines
    from TX

Yeah this is why I'm going to put the 496 behind the cab and under the flat bed :)

My plan right now is to put all the air bag compressors and tanks neatly where the old engine used to be. That why I can pull off the old cowling to show of the neatly plumbed air system.

I am also a fan of the stock ones, but if you do a search for those you see a lot of them. Sometimes you just gotta go against the grain and build something unique that gets that WOW factor :cool:

23. johnny_rocket88

johnny_rocket88

cool coe I think it would be cool to have a matching coe for my 47 ford pickup

Attached Files:

24. 4Nines

4Nines
    from TX

That would definitely be cool to have both of those trucks in the stable :)

The chop is done and I'm getting ready to start building the chassis soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.
  25. b-bop

b-bop

26. 4Nines

4Nines
    from TX

Thank you! Request sent :)

27. Looking realllly good .And welcome from west Texas . Building a 42 gmc coe myself and trying to have it running by 2014 LSR . Maybe see you there .

28. 4Nines

4Nines
    from TX

Awesome man! Let me know if you ever need a hand or want to come over for a beer and check mine out.

29. fordsum

fordsum
    from SO CA

I cant wait to see this on the road

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.