Register now to get rid of these ads!

V8-60 tubular front axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustycoupe, Apr 23, 2012.

1. rustycoupe

rustycoupe
    from England

Hi, I have a Ford V8-60 tubular front axle, it came to me without the Cotter Pins that fix the King Pin in place.
    Can anyone tell me if the Cotter Pins from a Ford I beam of a similar year will fit, or will I need to get V8-60 ones?
    I have noticed that the hole for the Cotter Pin is stepped, you cannot put it in the wrong way round.
    If I do need special V8-60 ones does anyone know where I can get some.
    Many Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Iv seen this said before …. But don’t know for sure.
    Id try the standard ones and see …. Either it works or they don’t

3. dudley32

dudley32

I think they are the same Model A through v-8...Henry didn't change much...

4. I believe this is correct, I have model A pins in my '37 axle and they work like a champ.

5. rustycoupe

rustycoupe
    from England

I have bought 'stock' after market Cotter pins, they seem to be very slack in the hole to start with and only just biting on the King Pin, so I would say they 'only just' do the job, I cannot understand why they are so slack in the hole to start with, any ideas? Is it because I have after market cotters going into a genuine axle? should I look for better quality ones?What do you think?
    Thanks so far guys.

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Even on beam axles I've had some that almost look like they'd pull through and some that stick out a 1/4" when tightened way more than I felt comfortable with. It's just there to keep the kingpin from turning in the axle boss, as long as it does that, don't worry about it. You could heat the front side of the hole up a bit and smack it with a BFH to tighten things up a bit if you're that concerned.

7. I am sure that there is a language barrier here, we both speak english but you speak the real english and most of us speak american english.

You are talking about the pin that goes though the hold in the king pin bung correct? It is to keep the king pin from spinning. It is a solid pin not a split pin.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I had a V8 60 axle years ago under my 32 rpu and it used regular old Ford king pin retaining pins. If you are trying them in the hole with no kingpin in place they might be sloppy, or maybe the holes are wallowed out a bit from age.

I have found that not all the pins you buy are the same exact diameter and have actually had to take a little diameter off of some with a belt sander to get them to seat into the hole.

Don

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've found the same thing, Don. I wonder if an aftermarket source oversized the retaining pins to compensate for worn holes...

Genuine ones all seem to be the same (smaller) diameter. Only since the '70s have I seen these oversize ones, and they came from Super Bell, Speedway, Chassis Eng., in their king pin sets.
    Moog were the smaller diameter.

Benno: I think that's 'Under Consent of the Queen' that dictates their being called 'cotter pins'...

10. Mike,
    I think you are on the right track with the aftermarket pins. My A stuff came out of the Ford Garage in Camdenton, Missouri when they closed down in 1981. The service manager gave them to me, spindles and king pins. He told me that he thought I may know what they are and how to use them and grinned. That was 2 days before the auction. It never hurts to treat everyone well until they give you reason not to.

You may be correct on the consent thing. All I know is that whenever I get around a real Englister I have to think about what they are saying. Sometimes I call my step mom and ask her.

A funny off topic story, I picked up a gal from the islands once in a bar and was packing her for a week or two. We stopped by the Ol' Man's place for breakfast and she told my step mom that she wanted bangers. I thought that she was being nasty and told her that my folks were not swingers, then my step mom told me that she wanted sausage. :D

11. rustycoupe

rustycoupe
    from England

Thanks for your help guys.
    My Cotter pin size is .561" diameter, the hole in the Axle is .586" diameter, that's .025" clearance, isn't that too much?
    Just to help things, a cotter pin is used to keep a shaft from moving by using a flat on the shaft for location. A split pin is used for stopping castle/slotted nuts from coming undone. That is the English version anyway, but I understand that Cotter Pins in the USA are what I would call a Split Pin.
    Thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  12. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

I know what our cousins the Brits mean when the ask for bangers and mash. And if you serve fish and chips you better include the malt vinegar.

13. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

If it helps any, the pic below shows the difference between a "normal" I-beam-type lock pin and the "specific, V8-60 tube axle" lock pin. The one pictured on the BOTTOM is an ORIGINAL from my tube axle that came out of a very stock '39 Standard coupe with a 60 horse engine. It's a "different" critter. DD

Attached Files:

14. rustycoupe

rustycoupe
    from England

Thanks for that DD COOPMAN, now any Idea where I can get two?

15. DD IS that V8 60 pin tapered? Thanks for posting. The hamb comes through again.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

DD, Thanks for a new bit of Ford information, wonder if Ford placed the nut in back or if it made and differance with the spindle stop. Do all V8-60 axle ends have a milled outer end? The two I've had years ago were and this left the king pin center exposed. Bob

17. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

All the 60’s iv ever seen have that open end … must have something to do with how they made them.
    Im getting another today to do … I will report what I see.

18. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

The straight shank on the pin IS NOT tapered. The OD of the shank seems to be "manufactured" or sized to fit SNUG into the machined slot in the king pin when the king pin slot is "clocked" exactly parallel with the locking pin. It does LOCK the king pin to prevent ANY rotation. DD

19. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

The pin is inserted FROM THE REAR, and the castellated NUT is threaded onto the pin on the FRONT side of the axle. The short, KNOB-like end (to the RIGHT in the picture) is the "spindle-stop" part of the pin.

I've owned two of these axles, and I've seen quite a few over the years. I've never seen one WITHOUT the "window" at each end. DD

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This thread got me curious about my 60 axle and lock pins. The pins fit snug like most of the I-beams I have had. It has the standard pins and the cutouts as well. I plan on using it in a circle track application, been thinking about adding some support around the cutout.

Attached Files:

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You had me scratching my head for a while with the picture of that weird 2nd pin...........I am going back 45 years, but I am pretty sure my V8 60 axle just had a regular tapered pin. I'm glad Marty posted that picture because now I am real sure that is how mine was.

Is it possible there were some axles that used the one pin and others that used the regular one ? Maybe axles were modified by shops in later years to accomodate the regular pins due to being more available ?

Don

22. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

DON and MARTY...Now both you guys got me to thinking...WTF do we really have here? I just went out and did some measuring of "stuff". Fortunately, I have the spindle off of one end of my axle at the present time. I measured the OD of the shank on the V8-60 locking pin. It measures 0.463" dia. Looking at the first picture in Marty's post, it looks like the machined flat area on his axle where the locking pin is inserted differs from the machining on MY axle in that Marty's seems to be machined DEEPER than mine. I measured the thickness between the FRONT and REAR machined surfaces (distance from front side to rear side of axle) on MY axle and the dimension is 1.490", front to rear. In other words, 1.490" of locking pin length will be INSIDE the axle. I'm trying to make this clear as possible for comparisons. I don't have a STOCK, I-beam-type pin handy to measure, but it seems like stock pins aren't much longer than that overall, and there has to be enough THREAD sticking out the rear of an I-beam application to fully support the loads imposed on the spindle stop-nut. Hoping that maybe this helps a little more, but may end-up just confusing the issue. Gotta love this Henry stuff! DD

[​IMG]

23. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recently aquired a V8 60 axle from a friend that is like new, and he had to take a pair of the stock pins for the I-beam axles and grind (sand) the outside diameter to get them to work on this axle. I'm starting to think that there is indeed two different hole sizes.

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

DD. My axle measures 1.485, I checked that dimension on a 32 heavy is was 1.410

25. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Marty...1.485" is essentially "the same thing" for what we are comparing here. Now, that 1.410" on the I-beam is only .075" shorter distance than the tube axle dimension. Still seems like the I-beam pin hole diameter is larger than the .463" pin I have. I'll note that this pin fits very snugly in the tube axle, even WITHOUT the king pin installed. Seems like it would have to without ANY tapers involved. Interesting stuff, guys! DD

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is the interesting thing about fooling around with old cars, just when you think you have seen it all someone comes up with something totally different. Car makers are known for having running changes in parts as the year or years go by, so maybe there are early and late V8 60 axles, or perhaps ones from different suppliers.

The more I think about this I am 100% sure mine had the tapered pins because I was worried about chipping the black lacquer paint I had sprayed on the axle when I tapped the pins in to seat them. I've never seen ones like in that one picture.

Don

27. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Don...Can't remember where I came across this picture a long time ago, but it's the only OTHER pair I remember seeing. I'm tellin' ya, RARE critters! DD

Attached Files:

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, I would have remembered those for sure. Those are very different from what mine had .

Don

29. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

So I just got one in to drop and the lock pin hole is defiantly small on one side and large on the other. This ones hole however isn’t round / has been messed with on the large side….I will be repairing that.

Assembled / with a king and (standard) lock pin installed …. The shoulder of the lock pin seems to bottom on the small side before wedging the king tightly.
    I will probably tune this thing the work with the standard lock pins.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Do all the V8-60 axles look the same spring perch to king pin? This one has a somewhat tapered section, I don't remember the ones I had looking like that. Bob [​IMG]