Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Really Screwed Up This Time!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcnut223, Apr 22, 2012.

1. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Working on the brakes for my 32 project removing the Hubs from the Aluminum Buick Drums and I cracked the drum. Must have been the process I used , tried to remove the rivet from the inside. Second drum removed the rivet from the top, no problem!.

Absolutely made me sick to my stomach!!!

And to make matter worse I bought a pair of hubs from a fellow hamber for the project and he did not disclose the the rust. refused to take them back!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  2. cheveey57

cheveey57

They came to you with that crack, and he won't take them back? Doesn't sound fair. Maybe he honestly didn't know they were cracked. How long ago did you get them?

3. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

I cracked the drum! My error

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

So the drums and the hubs were separate deals ? Those hubs are terrible. Very surprised a HAMBer would do that to another HAMBer. Is he a newbie or been around for a while ?

Don

5. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Shitty deal on the hubs... they didn't include pictures or say the were in shoddy condition?

And I would weld up that crack in the drum.

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I've never tried it, but can the hubs be welded up and grinded/turned on a lathe to make em right?

7. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

I think it's likely the crack was there or was already started on an edge and you just made the inevitable happen sooner.

8. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

that freakin sucks!...i would just mail the hubs back to dude..those are jacked up..

9. Koz

Koz

The crack I assume is in the drum. I have many times in the past V cut the crack, Tig it up, and turned the drum with great results. Cool the drum slowly to relieve stress and there will be no problems. They usually twist just a bit when welding but if you cool them slowly they go right back. Not a big bucks job.

I agree the hubs are pretty crappy! If you need I have a friend with several sets of '48 hubs in decent shape. Pm if you like and I'll forward his contact info.

10. Noland

Noland

yea all you can do is weld the drum up now. I feel your pain. I would tig weld up the hubs also and get them turned down on a lathe. You figure you already need them machined to fit the drum. Im waiting on my buick brakes for my car Im so exited. Like you said I think I knocked the rivets out from the top side and they just stayed in the hub.

11. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

the cracks run to the bead or ring that runs around the edge if the hub. Is welding this a process that is really safe?

Thier are two cracks one on each side of the drum.

12. Noland

Noland

I feel its safe to weld the drum. its not like it holds the wheel on in anyway and as long as it is secured to the hub its going to be doing its job. I just wouldnt bolt the hub to the drum in that spot skip to another opening between the other lugnuts maybe some of the ones that havent been used. BUT at the same time Im not an engineer or a certified welder.

13. 37gmc

37gmc
    from upstate ny

i have a hub drum like that i use for a base for the desk stool . i will look at it in the morning ,pretty sure its good . used it mostly to break balls . ican text a picture if you are interested send me the broken one you can have the one i have

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As for the seller, he is probably one of that cadre that joins the HAMB expressly to sell his old car stuff. There are a number of them who advertise in the classifieds and sell but aren't one of "us" if you catch my drift. I've also run into a lot of people at swap meets who peruse the classifieds on a regular basis but never even check the message board.

15. DAVEO!

DAVEO!

OUCH!! my eyes hurt

16. Those hubs are complete trash.
    The guy should make things right with you on that deal.
    He didn't show you pics first?

17. sinister32

sinister32
    from buffalo ny

weld up that crack in the drum.

18. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

The hubs had surface rust and the picture did not show the pits

I contacted him and he refused to do anything about the sale

Tried a claim with Paypal and that was a joke!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  19. alchemy

alchemy

So out him.

20. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

weld up the drum, and find new hubs

21. Yep, I got a pair of cracked drums that are welded up and are my spares.

The hubs need to go to Dennise [hotrodladycruiser] for her yard art project. And you should let us know about the fella who sold them to ya unless he is in the process of making it right.

One thing about the HAMB at least the older unfriendlier HAMB is that we police ourselves. if someone is burning people we need to know before it gets out of hand.

22. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

What are those old hubs from? Hope they were not too much $.
    Might measure those old hubs and turn some new ones out of some steel stock.
    Can you use the bearings and races or are they junk also?
    I'd weld the brake drum also. Tom S.

23. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Hard to say for sure from the photos but the crack looks old near the lug hole. the metal may have been weak. Is it shiny clean metal in there? The hubs were a rip off if he sold them to you unseen. Name and shame.

David

24. Who sold you that junk? Let us know before he fucks us over as well.

25. pumpman

pumpman

I've seen a lot new guys trying to sell stuff, and if they don't have more than 200 posts so I can check them out or be an Alliance member I pass.

26. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Thought I would show 2 pictures of the rusty hub a that does not show any damage.

Attached Files:

27. steelhorse27

steelhorse27

Kudos for this

28. oj

oj

I wouldn't put too much faith in welding the drums - cast aluminum is so porous and so much 'trash' and air in the castings that i would not rely on them. They are your brake drums. And the crack will go right to the brake band is sitting - man, i would pass on that.
    I for sure have a spare drum i can donate, it has buick hub if you need it or i can knock the hub off and send you the drum - shoot me a pm with address etc and i'll take care of the rest ok?

29. You got that right!!!!!

Tell us who it is,,it's guys like this who screw it up for the honest guys here! HRP

30. 117harv

117harv

Can you post these measurements?

Attached Files: