Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project 333 [Half Evil] a Mid Engine Roadster DragCar started finally.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Plowboy

Plowboy

Davey, I love you. Hugs!

2. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Dave, This is totaly bad ass. What you gonna use for a steering box?

3. Smokey2

Smokey2

GREAT !!!! POST "Littleman " 333 (I Like )..................
    Beautiful Build, Really ! Amazing Fab.
    Unlike your build, but what caught my eye........was, Mid engine drag car (?)

Going back (which I do often Now....Ha ) It had to be around 1957/ 58,
    because our tow car was '57 Ferd Convertible. Chester, S.C. NHRA[
    Regional Meet, on abandonded Airport...........Say one of "tha' Green Monsters Run, " Baloney Slicer " matter of fact he flipped it at 151 mph.......an, only broke a finger ! But, one car of Two that really inpressed ME was Californis " Speed Sport Special, i.e., Mid-Engine Competion Class, Ran consistant 160's
    The other was '56 Buick from N.J. w/twin Turbos Heavy ass Car.......ran 101 mph (remember !....this is 1957 )
    Oh on other fellow frum Fla., I Think ? .........Ran 180 mph in A Dragster ! I believe his name Was Don, Yeah............Don Garlits . I remember now !
    Slide Rule Guys said that was as fast as you could go in A QUARTER MILE !!!!
    Well, so much fer tha' Slide Rule Guys, Huh ?

Keep Posting, I;m definitly Watchin'

Smoked Up in tha' GREAT SMOKEY MYS of TENN. Smile

4. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Ditto on that!!!
    Mart3406
    ============

5. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Added a few more bars...slowly working my way to the back.....then its back to the front to mount the dropped axle and attach the hairpins.

grazy......building models is all where it started for me.....I always had to buy a # of models to build one to complete my vision....

KING CHASSIS, not too sure what I am doing yet.....I have a brand new funny car box w/ the 12-1/4'' length.....bought it at a swap meet for less than 1/2 the price of a new one.........I am open for ideas as far as steering goes...I just have not 100% focused on it yet.....I could do cross-steer or use a small rack, but would need to figure out how to do it w/ the potential axle and spring verticle movement, maybe a slip joint of some sorts....

Thanks everyone, Littleman Dave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Race@Rockets

Race@Rockets

My vote would be a rack but what do I know? Check out sandrail stuff maybe??? This thing kinda reminds me of a sand dragster...but on asphalt! Killer work as always Dave, a real inspiration for me and many others... Race

7. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

Not sure I am the best one to offer advice, but I would stay away from center steer/rack&pinion just for safety sake. Not a lot between you and the front end in case of impact, and a long spear pointing at your chest is a bad thing.

Also think about the steering ratio with you being that close to the front wheels. Think about the story of Big Daddy changing the stering ratio on on the first successful RED and be prepaired to play with that some.

I dig it very much.

8. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Hey Dave, looking cool man. I started my mid engine coupe a few years ago, but it was deemed "not hamb friendly" so its over on dogfight. More of a street car but I like what you are doing. I have thought about building a dedicated rear engine roadster around my same motor and transaxle strictly for b-ville. That way I could swap in the motor once a year for speedweek.

9. Dave, I had not looked at this thread in a while. Looks like good progress, you and I are crossing the same bridges, that thing shares a lot of similarity with the lakester I am building.

Have you looked into your helmet safety, as in padding? Normal padding is hard junk. I was looking at the systems by ISP safety http://ispseats.com/id125.html and then found the new Orange Aid Paddinghttp://www.stbarinc.com/orange-aid/index.html

Food for thought if you hadn't looked into that.

10. sololobo

sololobo

L.M., being a little crazy will keep you from going insane. Outstanding project bro, rock on! ~sololobo~

11. 296moon

296moon
    from england

I solved my steering like this [​IMG]

12. James Boys

James Boys
    from London ONT

This is some madscience type stuff! AWESOME!!

13. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

A little progress...I have the lower mid plate crossmember fit and in place, just not tacted yet...Need to slide a flexplate into place to ensure the clearance. It measures good...but best to mock up first........Need to make the rear chassis axle housing plates soon and lower and upper anti-rotational housing mounts...The upper one will be a removable wishbone, the lower will be a solid mount off the crossmember I have already made that is under the housing. I will also make up a lateral limiter off the rear tail of the trans housing.

296moon......I thought of doing something similiar....just do not know as of yet..several ways to do it..Thanks for posting the pic !

Tman...I looked into that safety stuff you posted...looks good to me...thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  14. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I'am thinking I should probably sign up over @ DOGFIGHT and post this project over @ that sister forum......might be a better fit than the Hamb ?.......Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

In case you didn't see this one. Nearing completion.

Attached Files:

16. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Thanks for posting the pic...it reminds me of some of the early attempts to full body a dragster....neat...and am I sure it is built real heavy for it to handle on the salt and or lake bed......Littleman

17. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have not touched this project in a couple of weeks...But the Injector arrived today Yee Haw...I should be back on this in a few days...........I love me some 8 Port Crower !...Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 1 BAD DLX

1 BAD DLX

Looking good. I can't wait to see it finished up. Keep up the great job, Litteman!

19. Neat stuff.

Digging your set up fixtures and tools. Inspired stuff there.

20. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Thanks ELpolacko...............but your shop is to die for !......I love the equipment you have built lately................Littleman

21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Since y'all can't make up your minds on whose equipment y'all like better, why don't you guys send them over my way and I'll let y'all know what I think? :)

22. Looking good Dave, good thing you have a cage or that thing would suck your helmet off!~

23. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

It was time for another body mock up after trimming the upper rear bars.....And I moved the Divco out of the back garage allowing me to look at it from the side from afar for the first time.....Littleman

[​IMG]

24. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hmmmmm ..... great picture of it, what's next?

25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

26. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

That is gonna be a wicked ride when done!! I would love to see it in person. Cool vision!

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

wow man. awesome work as usual. cant wait to see this evolve. keep kickin ass

28. Nice Dave. killer Fab!

29. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Dave, Any new progress? This thing will be mean for sure!

30. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I took some time to organize the garage a bit more, removed a bunch of stuff that had no purpose for taking up floor space other than looking cool....Basically got the garage ready for winter.....to do battle and hit this project hard.....Before I did this..I got to the point where I needed to finish weld most of what I had...so I could mount the engine and rearend..I was practice welding and had all kinds of trouble w/ my eyes...I would be welding and everything would just get blurry....That is not good when you cannot see the puddle....So I worked on the garage......Just now getting back to it.......I think I may need bifocals ?...So far I have made welds while wearing my glasses.. other times I see better w/o them and get real close...getting older...just need to adapt...........Littleman

[​IMG]